1 tooth = 6 minutes

globecanvas

May 2, 2011
I got a new (new to me, via ebay) bike last week. It has an 11-25 cassette vs the 12-26 on my other good bike.

I do a 20 mile training lap with a couple of 2-mile 10-15% climbs (Gunks area of upstate NY). My first time out with the 11-25 I cut an unbelievable 6 minutes off my best time for the lap.

Both bikes are light and well fitted out, it really felt like the difference was mostly the 25 vs 26 cog. I had to push that much harder to keep the same cadence, it was that much more of an effort, but the result was a major speed improvement.

Basically this was a big eye opener for me in the importance of gear selection.

Originally Posted by globecanvas .

I got a new (new to me, via ebay) bike last week. It has an 11-25 cassette vs the 12-26 on my other good bike.

I do a 20 mile training lap with a couple of 2-mile 10-15% climbs (Gunks area of upstate NY). My first time out with the 11-25 I cut an unbelievable 6 minutes off my best time for the lap.

Both bikes are light and well fitted out, it really felt like the difference was mostly the 25 vs 26 cog. I had to push that much harder to keep the same cadence, it was that much more of an effort, but the result was a major speed improvement.

Basically this was a big eye opener for me in the importance of gear selection.
I'd bet it wasn't the small gearing difference that saved you 6 minutes. Instead, you experienced "New Bike Syndrome". We all get psyched up riding a new bike, and ride harder with the same or lower level of perceived exertion. Bet if you had a HR monitor, you would have found your average and peak HR was higher. A PM would reveal you were putting out more power.

The magnitude and duration of "NBS" seems directly proportional to the amount you've spent on your new bike; enjoy it while it lasts!

You're right. Now that I've had the new bike for a few weeks, I've found that I'm about 0.75 mph faster on pretty much all of my rides, even the flatter ones. I'm just amped to ride it, and sort of feel like I need to earn it by riding harder, so I don't feel like a dope.

In fact I am seriously thinking about getting a power monitor now, which illustrates another syndrome, which is "new gear attracts even more expensive new gear."

Having said that, I've done thousands of miles of steep riding with the 26 cog, and going to 25 does not feel like a "small gearing difference." The 26 feels almost like a bailout gear to me, but the 25 needs to be pushed.

cadence is also nice to observe when shifting, 1 tooth is like a 5 RPM change,

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

I'd bet it wasn't the small gearing difference that saved you 6 minutes. Instead, you experienced "New Bike Syndrome". We all get psyched up riding a new bike, and ride harder with the same or lower level of perceived exertion. Bet if you had a HR monitor, you would have found your average and peak HR was higher. A PM would reveal you were putting out more power.

The magnitude and duration of "NBS" seems directly proportional to the amount you've spent on your new bike; enjoy it while it lasts!
I have found that bicyclists get stronger in a slow continuous fashion, but they realize that they are stronger in fits and spurts.

Having the new bike did not improve this rider's level of strength, but it did cause him to notice it. In a couple months if he buys some new component (or even chases down a distant rider) he will discover more strength.

I just bought a new Trek, my first high end (to me atleast) road bike, and I too noticed a full mph difference in my average speeds. Seeing this thread is almost disappointing though. How long does this "NBS" syndrome last for? If it's like when you get your first car (for me atleast) it's still going on! I'm 21 now and I absolutely love to drive. I almost became a semi driver. Surely this will last just as long.