1 x 20 a waste of time?

bing181

Oct 23, 2004
This is the time of the year when I was trying to do some serious FT/SST work, building through the winter. Mainly 2 x 20's a couple of times a week, mixed with some Level 3 rides outside. Just trying to crank things up prior to my targeted events next year (mainly centuries etc.)

But .. v. busy work life, family, no time to properly rest/recover ... all needed as I'm well into the "mature" class ... has found me really pushing to a) find time to ride and b) get through my sessions with much energy.

So, wondering if 1 x 20 4 times a week would be the same/similar as doing 2 x 20 twice a week?

Thanks in advance.

B

I hope not. I am just starting back after a lay off and 1 X 20 is all I have in the tank. Hopefully as I progress I can stretch it out to 2 efforts.

bing181 said:
...So, wondering if 1 x 20 4 times a week would be the same/similar as doing 2 x 20 twice a week? ....
If you go with the "time in level is all that counts" philosophy then yes. But why not shoot for a bit longer efforts if you can only manage one per session. Maybe a 30 minute SST effort each session?

Either way, if you can only get a single 20 minute effort in per session with a short warmup and cooldown it's still better than doing nothing. Maybe not as good as getting that second effort or even a third but I sure wouldn't call it a waste of time if the alternative is no training at all.

Good luck,
Dave

I'm probably quite a bit longer in the tooth than you, but following on from what Dave said, I prefer to do 1x40/1x50 or occasionally 1x60 one day a week at 90% of FTP, and in keeping with winter training philosophy 1x60 or longer @ 220W on another day. Some weeks I manage to get in 3 workouts on the CompuTrainer.
On Sundays (sometimes a Saturday) I do a 2 and a half - 3 hours in the mountains. However the real work is indoors, and 2 good workouts of 40 mins in total or longer at 90-95% of your FTP should keep you ticking along nicely.
And remember - plenty of inspirational music and cover up the clock! ;) Tyson

fergie said:
I hope not. I am just starting back after a lay off and 1 X 20 is all I have in the tank. Hopefully as I progress I can stretch it out to 2 efforts.
If I had as many layoffs as you, I would have to become a coach;)

Just reinforcing what DRW mentioned: To quote a respected poster here "All you can do is all you can do". Doing something - anything - is infinitely better than doing nothing.

Dave