Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, wrong terminology. "John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ollie Wigg wrote:
>
> > Yeah Cadel did win a couple of world championships
>
> Cadel won the World Cup series a couple of times, but never won the world championships. Lists at
> www.uci.ch.

did someone forget Pat Jonker?? 15th in the TDF is a pretty awesome effort in my book.

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fyvo50.d7k57efplu9sN%[email protected]... <my top ten>
>
> > This is a list of current riders.
>
> Yes, that's why I didn't do a top10 in the first place! :p This list is more of a personal
> favourites than a top 10. Stuart O'Grady is higher because I like him more - simple.
>
> > OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a
> bundle
> > of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in
> the
> > Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden Cooke's palmares are much
> > smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green jersey, he is still beginning. Robbie is easily No.
> > out of that lot.
>
> He was going to be number 1, but O'Grady was, lets say, in my good books after trying so hard in
> the tour and being so "aussie" about it in the interviews.
>
> > Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb worlds to a road worlds.
> > Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count
> > anything won on the
> road
> > to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull of good things on the
> > road so far.
>
> Obtaining the Maglia Rosa? Have we had anyone else do that? I'm sure you're right, but that's why
> I didn't make a top 10 to start with, my knowledge of other people's race results very limited :)
>
> hip

"Spider1977" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The best thing about this discussion is that people are starting to come up with names that seem
> to get lost in history. It's about time someone wrote a book on the great cyclists from all era's
> in Australia. (sounds like a good job for Phil Liggett).
>
They did (sorta). Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oui, Oui, Oui by Rupert Guinness tells the history of
Australian cyclists in the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=features/aussie

cheers, Jeff

you forgot me on that list.

"g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fyu1zm.t38ng51wbdodeN%[email protected]...
> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm wondering who makes the list
> of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao GK

>"McEwen is the first Aussie to win any category in the Tour, the Green jersey."
Phil Anderson won the white jersey for best young rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.