10 Hardest Things To Do In Sport

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bloocow, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

    Human attacks on animals - How can you help? Stop eating meat and start eating more vegetables.
    Donate cash, real estate or good bicycles to bloocow, Bovine Extroadinaire. Visit
    http://bloocow.tripod.com for pointless wastage of time.

    Tags:

  2. "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    out.

    > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

    > Human attacks on animals - How can you help? Stop eating meat and start eating more vegetables.
    > Donate cash, real estate or good bicycles to bloocow, Bovine
    Extroadinaire.
    > Visit http://bloocow.tripod.com for pointless wastage of time.

    It is not even worth commenting to USA Today on how ridiculous this list is. While I would agree
    that hitting a baseball and pole vaulting are "hard", they have no right to appear in the same
    "hard" category as the Tour or a marathon.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    out.

    > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

    I've been following that in the paper this past week or so... man, were they way off.

    I could just end my comments there, but I'll provide my reasoning. How can they compare specific
    events to general events? Specific events (such as the Tour) are going to be much more difficult
    than general events (hitting a baseball). Since when did hitting a baseball (even in the majors)
    become harder than racing 2,500 miles against riders such as Lance Armstrong? If they wanted to make
    a more fair comparison, they should have used a better situation... maybe something like "Playing in
    the World Series" or "Racing in the Indy 500."

    The only thing close to being as strenuous as the Tour de France would be running a Marathon... and
    that only lasts for one day, not three weeks.

    -John Morgan

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  5. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    > out.
    > >
    > > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    >

    > I notice they forgot to add 'Maintaining an erection while boxing with
    Mike
    > Tyson'.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    And I thought I was the only one getting aroused watching boxing matches.

    bloocow - 5 mins and I'm out.

  6. Craig Brossman wrote:

    > It is not even worth commenting to USA Today on how ridiculous this list is. While I would agree
    > that hitting a baseball and pole vaulting are "hard", they have no right to appear in the same
    > "hard" category as the Tour or a marathon.
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Saving a soccer penalty shot makes the list, but not stopping a penalty shot in hockey? <G>

    What about an Iditarod? An IronMan? The crosscheck to the back of the head AFTER you score an
    NHL goal? <G>

    Barry

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    > > out.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    > >

    > > I notice they forgot to add 'Maintaining an erection while boxing with
    > Mike
    > > Tyson'.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > And I thought I was the only one getting aroused watching boxing matches.

    I think you are......

    > bloocow - 5 mins and I'm out.

    She'll love you for it - HTH!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe Don't need it - I nearly start a fire as it is.

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

  9. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It is not even worth commenting to USA Today on how ridiculous this list is. While I would agree
    >that hitting a baseball and pole vaulting are "hard", they have no right to appear in the same
    >"hard" category as the Tour or a marathon.

    The big problem is comparing endurance type sports to hand-eye coordination type sports, and indeed
    sports which combine the two to varying degrees. Apples and oranges. For example, Barry Bonds would
    get shelled in the first kilometer in the first stage of the TDF (if he survived the Prologue
    without having a massive heart attack) and that would be that. Lance Armstrong wouldn't even stand
    in the batter's box against Randy Johnson, much less have a prayer to make contact with a fastball.
    Which is "harder"? By what standard? Give me a break. And who cares? Makes no sense, except to sell
    newspapers and get a thread going. --dt

  10. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Doug Taylor wrote:
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>It is not even worth commenting to USA Today on how ridiculous this list is. While I would agree
    >>that hitting a baseball and pole vaulting are "hard", they have no right to appear in the same
    >>"hard" category as the Tour or a marathon.
    >
    > The big problem is comparing endurance type sports to hand-eye coordination type sports, and
    > indeed sports which combine the two to varying degrees. Apples and oranges. For example, Barry
    > Bonds would get shelled in the first kilometer in the first stage of the TDF (if he survived the
    > Prologue without having a massive heart attack) and that would be that. Lance Armstrong wouldn't
    > even stand in the batter's box against Randy Johnson, much less have a prayer to make contact with
    > a fastball. Which is "harder"? By what standard? Give me a break. And who cares? Makes no sense,
    > except to sell newspapers and get a thread going.

    Actually, I disagree. Lance Armstrong stands a random chance of hitting that baseball if he swings
    really hard when he sees the ball fly. Similarily, it's possible to train yourself to hit a
    straight tee shot.

    The thing about the Tour is that not even all PROFESSIONAL riders can do it. As far as I know,
    Cipollini has never finished one. Pro riders drop out all the time. Sometimes, The Tour is
    just too hard.

    If a pro baseball player couldn't hit a ball, he wouldn't be there. Even the lousy hitters
    occasionally get off a base hit.

    As near as I can tell, The Tour and running a sub-three-hour marathon are things that professionals
    in those sports have a hard time doing.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  11. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:57:56 GMT, Jan Sacharuk wrote:

    > If a pro baseball player couldn't hit a ball, he wouldn't be there. Even the lousy hitters
    > occasionally get off a base hit.

    Most pro baseball players CAN'T hit the ball the majority of the time - that would be a .500
    average. I'm no baseball fan, but AFAIK no one's even come close to that.

    Most people could neither hit off a pro pitcher nor finish the TDF. The difference is, not hitting
    the baseball would only hurt your pride.

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.
    > >
    > > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    >
    > Well, since golf is a game and not a sport, the whole list is a joke.
    >
    > JD they forgot the drop-in to Horsethief Bench

    Now, I can easily picture you cleaning it on the Peach, but have you ridden it on the Ritchie
    Blackmore? I just watched Pete's video, and the recovery of that one dude who nearly bought the farm
    was spectacular.

    Paladin

  13. I am not a professional athlete so I am not sure what I can add. I played baseball competitively for
    quite a few years. I went back after 12 years out and played with the college kids 2 years ago
    (summer Amateur league). I was still competitive but no star. To reach the pro level is incredible.
    Sam Horn lives here in town and he played around for a while. He played in Japan and moved around
    the majors. I have seen him. You wouldn't believe the size of this guy. You think you are something
    until you see a pro athlete. I ride bikes now because I can stay in shape and do it when I want not
    when a team wants. The same goes for riding. I ride OK but usually by myself. When I ride with some
    local guys that race, either road or mountain, I am astonished at what they can do. The two
    activities are so different that you can't even compare them. One takes fast explosive power and the
    other takes ultimate endurance. The people who do it professionally and excel are not like you and
    I. Hitting a baseball is hard. Is it harder that the TDF??? If I had to say I could do one at a
    higher level I would say I can hit a baseball. Does that mean it is easier? Or am I built for that
    sport. It is tough to say. Would I say running a marathon is harder that the TDF? I think the TDF is
    the most grueling event. I think that the most grueling 1 day event is an ironman triathlon. That is
    because I don't have a body built for endurance. It takes alot for me to succeed at those things.

    It just makes good reading and makes for hits on USA today's site. It made us talk about it.

    Now if the snow ever goes away, I will ride my bike again. GP

    --
    http://members.cox.net/gporter1970 "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:57:56 GMT, Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    >
    > > If a pro baseball player couldn't hit a ball, he wouldn't be there. Even the lousy hitters
    > > occasionally get off a base hit.
    >
    > Most pro baseball players CAN'T hit the ball the majority of the time - that would be a .500
    > average. I'm no baseball fan, but AFAIK no one's even come close to that.
    >
    > Most people could neither hit off a pro pitcher nor finish the TDF. The difference is, not hitting
    > the baseball would only hurt your pride.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  14. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.
    >>
    >>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    >

    > Well, since golf is a game and not a sport, the whole list is a joke.

    If they're going to include golf, flyball belongs on the list. Try running a relay race coordinating
    4 human handlers and 4 ballistic dogs with split second timing.

    Kathleen

  15. Kathleen wrote:

    > JD wrote:
    > > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.
    > >>
    > >>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    > >

    > > Well, since golf is a game and not a sport, the whole list is a joke.
    >
    > If they're going to include golf, flyball belongs on the list. Try running a relay race
    > coordinating 4 human handlers and 4 ballistic dogs with split second timing.
    >
    > Kathleen

    What about Doubles Foosball?

    Trying to operate those handles while communicating with your partner, not spilling your beer, while
    checking out everything else going on in a sports bar has got to count for something!

    Barry

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    > >
    > > Well, since golf is a game and not a sport, the whole list is a joke.
    > >
    > > JD they forgot the drop-in to Horsethief Bench
    >
    > Now, I can easily picture you cleaning it on the Peach, but have you ridden it on the Ritchie
    > Blackmore? I just watched Pete's video, and the recovery of that one dude who nearly bought the
    > farm was spectacular.

    I never drop the saddle on the Blackmore, so not yet. It's due for new tires, so maybe I'll give it
    a go as soon as that happens. Been clean on The Freak bikea few times, once on the Y11 and twice on
    the old BFD28.

    JD

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > JD wrote:
    > > "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    out.

    > >>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    > >

    > > Well, since golf is a game and not a sport, the whole list is a joke.
    >

    > If they're going to include golf, flyball belongs on the list. Try running a relay race
    > coordinating 4 human handlers and 4 ballistic dogs with split second timing.
    >
    > Kathleen

    I'll back you on that one!!!

    Mike - and I don't even have a dog. ;^)

  18. bloocow wrote in message ...
    >I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally out.
    >
    >http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm
    >

    >--

    I can't believe thay missd out crazy golf! Have you ever tried to get the ball under that
    damn windmill?

    Steve E.

  19. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, BB wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:57:56 GMT, Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    >
    >> If a pro baseball player couldn't hit a ball, he wouldn't be there. Even the lousy hitters
    >> occasionally get off a base hit.
    >
    > Most pro baseball players CAN'T hit the ball the majority of the time - that would be a .500
    > average. I'm no baseball fan, but AFAIK no one's even come close to that.

    In the end, I think that's what the list is all about: statistics. Statistically, it's almost
    impossible to hit a baseball. It's hard to return a (mens) tennis serve. Pole vaulting often has the
    atheletes using all the attempts that they get. I suppose a majority of the Tour riders that start
    actually finish, so the statistics say that the Tour is easier on professionals than baseball.

    I still think that's crap. :p

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
    header to see my Geek Code
    "I done bent mah elby-bone, so it points in the
    opposity dahrection." - Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel

  20. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was following this thread on rec.running and the results are finally
    out.

    > http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

    Yeah, right, car racing - Because of the G-FORCES - hahahaha ONLY if you are BORING enough to race
    on a great big BANKED OVAL! That's not car racing!

    V8 Supercars on Mount Panorama in Bathurst! Now that's car racing - the corners go BOTH directions!
    Now driving like that requires some skill. Coming down a straight at well over 300Km/h and then
    NEGOTIATING A *FLAT* CORNER at the end of it! Sure beats what the US calls car racing. G-FORCES
    bwahahahaha, in our racing those G-Forces are LATERAL not just getting pushed down into your seat.

    And to keep this on topic of the ng, I love my new shocks - once the LBS remembered to put air into
    them (bloody LBS, forgot to pump the bloody things up). But it's quite disconcerting to be hard into
    a corner and have the shocks compress if you have to brake, and thus totally alter your balance! I
    can see I'm going to have to get used to the faster cornering, but changeability of the balance, on
    these RS Pilot XC's.

    Trentus