10 pound Road/Racing Bike?

hd reynolds

Nov 15, 2005
Just how light can a 'standard' road/racing bike weigh? I've researched the lightest possible components for such a bike and so far I'm down to 11.73 lbs.
Attached is a chart showing the details of my component choices based on the following criteria:
- Road Bike of about 50cm size or equivalent compact frame; 700c wheel size.
- Compatible componentry
- Components can be easily sourced and not one-off exotic parts.
- Component list base on the chart supplied.

I wonder is a 10-pound road/racing bike with standard components possible?

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your question, but I believe USCF regulations indicate that race bikes be at least 14.8 lbs (I'm not sure of the exact weight, but it's in that neighborhood).

badkarma said:
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your question, but I believe USCF regulations indicate that race bikes be at least 14.8 lbs (I'm not sure of the exact weight, but it's in that neighborhood).
A lot of hill climb races aren't UCI or USCF sanctioned. The bike Tyler Hamilton won Mt Washington on this year weighed about 11 lbs.

badkarma said:
Not true, that's a UCI rule. The only time UCI rules apply to USCF races is when the race is a selection event that select riders (elite, jr, or U23) for international competitions or national teams. Road national championships are an example.

Of course, UCI rules always apply in UCI races, and there are a few in the US.

But at the vast majority of USCF races, there's no weight limit.

USCF rulebook here: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USCF_Rulebook.pdf
UCI rulebook here: http://www.uci.ch/english/about/rules.htm

jbvcoaching said:
Not true, that's a UCI rule. The only time UCI rules apply to USCF races is when the race is a selection event that select riders (elite, jr, or U23) for international competitions or national teams. Road national championships are an example.

Of course, UCI rules always apply in UCI races, and there are a few in the US.

But at the vast majority of USCF races, there's no weight limit.

USCF rulebook here: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USCF_Rulebook.pdf
UCI rulebook here: http://www.uci.ch/english/about/rules.htm
Isn't it this year that USCF is adopting UCI rules?

RapDaddyo said:
Isn't it this year that USCF is adopting UCI rules?
2007 had been the plan for that, but they've stopped promoting that idea over the last 12 months or so.

The link I gave was for the 2006 rules anyway, and they make no mention of it.

badkarma said:

You're right, UCI does limit bicycle weight for it's sanctioned races to 6.8 kilos or 14.96 lbs. I was just experimenting on the idea as to how far we can push down a road bike's weight (in theory at least) using off-the shelf components that are readily available to anyone and without modifying them. The weights I listed are all based on manufacturer's weight and or someone's confirmed listing of such products.

Also I would like to add that I was able to further reduce the 'theorethical' road bike to 11.12lbs. I've since replaced the fork, seat, bar tape, handlebar and switched to assembled wheelset using Marwi ti spokes, Spline Drive alloy nipples and American Classic front hub and TUNE rear hub and NISI tubular rims. Again, all these parts are pretty standard off-the-shelf.

I think a sub 10 is achievable for the same criteria if I remove the bottle cage & bolts and switch to a campy 9 speed, and d/t shifters. The 9 speed parts are afterall still used and listed in campy's parts catalogue that could be ordered just as easily.

Fradbut said:
Try this http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=747
3591 grams. Thats under 8lbs in old money !
/\ a few people seemed to have noticed that incredible piece of art /\
The lightest bike I have seen was a scott cr1 special edition with lightweights, campy record and some custom components, like crank and skewers. It was about 5.57 KGs (12.25 lb) and the rider saw the majority of our groups wheels most of the time. He could ride, but his bike didn't match his speed, he should have gone a lot faster on lightweights.

Cmpared to how far that frame is pushing the limits those components are fat pigs.

For starters (no modified parts, weights are from memory):
*Fork - THM Scapula SP Tuned 230g cut to 200mm
*Headset - M2 racer 35g
*Ahead nut and cap - Extralite Ultrastar 9.1g, Fibre-Lyte cap and Al bolt 4g
*Speedplay x-1 can be lightened with alloy butterflys
*Brakes - AX Orion 97g per pair without pads, ~135g with
*saddle - AX Phoenix 55g and more comfortable than the Tune
*BB/Cranks/Rings - THM Clavicula compact, Fibre-Lyte 50T carbon ring, TA alloy 34T, alloy bolts, total 510g for 175mm.
*Wheels - LW Ventoux 970g
*Skewers - M2 racer QR 38g
*Using glue tape with a silk tire is an abomination.Vittoria glue would be lighter and less rolling resistance too.
*CAssette - cycledynamics ti ~167g for 11-23
*Stem - KCNC Sc Wing 13cm is 116.2g for OS bar.
*Bars - Zipp or Scmolke both have ones that are at least 30g lighter
*Chain - KMC X10SL -20g
*BTP bottle cages and bolts - 29g for pair of MTB version
*Using record downtube shifters and dia compe levers would cut another 70g or so plus lower cable and casing weight.

***Need to add weight of seat clamp, bb cable guides, any paint on the frame, grease, and another tire since you only have the weight of one in your list.

I wouldn't risk my life with CLB cables or casings.

you could take out the bar plugs to shave a couple grams

hd reynolds said:
Just how light can a 'standard' road/racing bike weigh? I've researched the lightest possible components for such a bike and so far I'm down to 11.73 lbs.
Attached is a chart showing the details of my component choices based on the following criteria:
- Compatible componentry

bobbyOCR said:
/\ a few people seemed to have noticed that incredible piece of art /\
The lightest bike I have seen was a scott cr1 special edition with lightweights, campy record and some custom components, like crank and skewers. It was about 5.57 KGs (12.25 lb) and the rider saw the majority of our groups wheels most of the time. He could ride, but his bike didn't match his speed, he should have gone a lot faster on lightweights.
Disagree anyone should go "a lot faster" on a 10 or 12 pound bike. Saving 6 lbs on the bike is going to make maybe a 3-4% difference up steep hills at low speeds, but almost no difference cruising on the flats. Of course, for someone like Tyler trying to win the Mt. Washington Hillclimb, where cost and durability (beyond getting up the hill once) are of no concern, an 11 pound bike might make sense.

But afraid this exotic lightweight stuff is too fragile, and too expensive to be practical, at least for me. I'll go with a more durable, 18 pound bike, and work on losing the 6-8 pounds of winter weight off the body.

hd reynolds said:
- Compatible componentry

Nice research on the components. You have started a lively thread.

dhk said:
Disagree anyone should go "a lot faster" on a 10 or 12 pound bike. Saving 6 lbs on the bike is going to make maybe a 3-4% difference up steep hills at low speeds, but almost no difference cruising on the flats. Of course, for someone like Tyler trying to win the Mt. Washington Hillclimb, where cost and durability (beyond getting up the hill once) are of no concern, an 11 pound bike might make sense.

But afraid this exotic lightweight stuff is too fragile, and too expensive to be practical, at least for me. I'll go with a more durable, 18 pound bike, and work on losing the 6-8 pounds of winter weight off the body.

Perhaps not being able to ride 'significantly' faster but I am sure the same guy will take a longer time before he gets tired pushing a lightweight bike. Having done the exercise, scoured the internet and evaluated what's available out there, I believe that the lightest & reliable (read: durable) bike will weigh not less than 12.5lbs.

You guys should ajourn ( just for this thread alone ... ) over to Weightweenies.

The guys there have a whole forum(s) dedicated to lightweight stuff and bikes ! :)