10 reasons to hate lance

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by butcher2000, Sep 19, 2003.

1. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

I can't say that I hate Lance Armstrong, he is truly an amazing athlete and sportsman. However he is no longer my favorite rider. He divorced his wife, and granted I know nothing about it, I'm not him, nonetheless it is not something that I want in my role model. Next year I'm rooting for Tyler Hamilton.

As a side note, the more he wins the more I admire him as an athlete. He has given a challenge to all other cyclists by winning. He wears a very large target on the back of that yellow jersey. All this makes every time he wins all that much more incredible.

2. butcher2000

butcher2000 New Member

going to start reading his book one of these days... btw, why did he divorce?

3. Daremo

Daremo New Member

They have filed for divorce .......

As someone who has followed his career since he was riding as an amateur for Motorola in '92, I have always had mixed feelings for him.

I could tell even back then that he was a brilliant rider, WAY too cocky, but brilliant nonetheless.

However, when he lost the '92 Olympics, I was severely disappointed. I had hoped that there would finally be someoned to bring up US cycling to the international level since Lemond was on his way out (still the absolute best US rider ever, regardless of Armstrong's impressive reume). When he lost the race, I was really unhappy.

But I still followed his career. Saw him at the '93 Tour Dupont, and saw him race. I have a spectacular photo of him warming up for a sprint finish. Pretty amazing shot, Graham Watson would be proud. :p

He has done a lot, and suffered a lot. For the mere fact that he has tied Indurain's record AFTER recovering for cancer, you have to give him mad props. And he has changed from the cocky dick head he was earlier in his career.

Since I have always followed his career, I respect him and his achievements. And even though I despise Trek, I will continue to root him on as long as he races.

There have been MANY riders over the years who have solely focused on the Tour. It is the most recognized and watched sporting event in the world after all.

4. matt_trek2300

matt_trek2300 New Member

his brake wasn't fully clamped it was just rubbing. you wouldn't be able to tell the difference those hills are so steep.

5. terraceprod

terraceprod New Member

6. butcher2000

butcher2000 New Member

Daremo, why do you despise trek?

7. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Have for years .......

Before I knew anything about what makes a good bike, and a good company, I always wanted a 2100 or 2300 (back in '92). I loved the idea of carbon fiber.

Then I started working in a shop ('93) as the service manager and in sales. I rode a few Trek carbon frames that were brought in for repairs, and I started hearing how elitist the company was, and what total dicks all the reps I met from Trek were.

The frames were SOOOOO whippy, that I was losing any sprint power put down.

The OCLV's were better, but we saw a few delaminate ......

Just have hated them ever since, and NOTHING will change my mind ...........

8. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Plus they are way overpriced. I can get a better bike with a better groupset at half the prices they charge.

9. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Exactly .......

10. i2ambler

i2ambler New Member

Well.. he stated that his pad was burnt black.. this would indicate that it was rubbing enough to burn it, obviously.. I can tell if my brake is rubbing, especially in the hills. No biggie, i Just found that it was a pretty cheesy excuse for poor performance. He won, no need to say that it was his bike or anything else..

11. butcher2000

butcher2000 New Member

well, it seems that he got around with trek. i'll tell you my impressions when i'll finish reading his book :)

12. Spider1977

Spider1977 New Member

Welcome to a free market economy. If you don't like Trek, don't buy it, simple - no one is forcing you. If their product is no good and salesmen are responsible, they'll soon go out of business or produce a good product.

However, I don't seem to remember too many reviews in magazines which bag Trek products.

BTW the only Trek product I own is a red flashing light - it has no influence on my sprinting capabilities as far as i know.

13. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Trust me, I didn't .. and made it a strong point to sell customers against them to .... and did a very good job of it as well!

There is a reason that Trek doesn't get bad reviews ....... advertising is a wonderful (and good money raiser for magazines) tool ...........

And it doesn't matter what the pros ride ... they can ride ANYTHING and do well. Talent is talent. He rode Caloi and Merckx bikes for years with Motorola and won more individual races and a few smaller Tours ......

14. Broom-wagon

Broom-wagon New Member

Over the past three years I have spoken with many europeans who love lance and even many Germans who said they were cheering for Lance over Jan Ullrick, so your comment that Europeans hate Lance is way off the mark. In the Pyrennees, I saw schoolchildred parading with their homemade signs saying "Allez Lance" The children don't lie. Lance is really popular in Europe despite what the American press seems to believe. And his French is really quite good.
    Get over yourself.

15. butcher2000

butcher2000 New Member

yeah, right... troll :) i finished reading his book (anyone here that read it too?) except for the cheesy americanish crap you could find here and there, like: "i'm gonna beat this thing", and so on, it's ok. the thing i really liked, is that he speaks about "kik", the love of his life, and now he's divorcing her...
    about the frenchmen, i've heard there are two kinds: the ones that don't like him, and the ones that don't care. a friend of mine recently returned from france, and said he could only find posters of him and virenque (btw, he's a armstrong fan).

16. rollers

rollers New Member

Yes, I finished it yesterday.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the "love if his life" thing or not, but I had to wonder just how he would write that segment of the book today.

As for the cheesiness (is that a word?), I'd have to agree it was a bit over the top. I'm no world class athelete so I don't know that their minds don't work so differently from mine, but it's hard for me to imagine that the thoughts and conversations related in the book took place the way they did.

Even if the mind of the world class athelete works this much differently I think the book could have been more touching, motivational, and inspirational if he had toned down the 'never say die' and portrayed himself with more human character. He alludes to moments of weakness so I beleive they had to be there. Maybe his ego prevents him from laying them out for us to see?

One point on the divorce... It's not clear to me that he's divorcing her. It's been written in the press like it's a mutual thing. My point is, unless I'm missing some information, I don't think we can hold this against him until we get more information about it. OTOH if the divorce is all his 'fault' (hey, I read the book, I know he'd be a hard guy to live with) we may never know until he's older and retired and mature enough to admit his failings.

17. butcher2000

butcher2000 New Member

speaking about talent, i found this while googling, and i quote:

"All you guys having this pointless "frictionless front hub" debate
    need to grab your copy of this year's Tour and watch the Penultimate Stage. Jan Ullrich won the final Time Trial, beating Miguel by over 50 seconds and the next closest competetor by over 2 minutes. All the guys in the top 10 besides Ullrich looked like they were from outer space: Miguel with his 'espada' bike that probably costs more than some small teams' budget, Romminger with his full-faced helmet, Virenque and Boardman with their tricked out rides. Ullrich rode what looked to be a standard road frame with tri-bars and a rear disk. He wore a Telekom team cap and no shoe covers. I'm quite sure that during his ride he was not contemplating the advantages of using a slightly less viscious grease for his bearings, molling over the differneces in angular force applied to his front versus his rear hub, or thinking of the wonderfull day when wheels will be suspended by magical superconducting magnets that will eliminating the friction that
    hubs currently suffer from.

Ullrich went out and stomped ass. You guys should follow his example and keep your money in your pockets..."

...and i end the quote. this could also go to the endless and pointless debates like "shimano vs campagnolo" and the like...

18. msittner

msittner New Member

You dont think he deserves all the admiration? If armstrong doesn't deserve admiration then nobody does!!!!
    so dont be a hater

19. hlimbocker

hlimbocker New Member

:rolleyes: Were you alive when the "Monsters of Cycling" were doing there thing. You don't beat a guy like Yan Ulrich, not to mention the rest of the peloton 5 times in a row without the best. He lost 15lbs. of water weight (80% chance of being fatal) on a one hour ride and still won the race. He did some off road racing during "The Tour" after Beloki's crash. If you do a lot of riding and have been through similar situations you know that it takes a tremendous presence of mind and agility to pull off what Lance did. And finally, we have Lance catch his bar on a spectators bag - crash - get up - slip on his petal and damn near castrate himself, and then proceed to beat Ulrich like a club cyclist. Hate lance if you want, but give the man his due. Indurain and Meryks due, maybe you should.

20. tomdavis80

tomdavis80 New Member

Cool your jets. No need to start cussin' everyone out here. And yes, myself, I understand that you don't like him and you don't have to, but respecting him is a given.

And as for the snafu with Jan Ulrich's name, big deal, you know what he meant so relax about it and please continue your respectin' but hatin' Lance Armstrong ways, it's entertaining...

Thomas Davis