10 spd campag on powertap pro

bike boy

Oct 16, 2005
Anybody know of the best if anyway to use 10 spd campag on a powertap pro?

I only want it for training but would like it to work as well as poss.

Does a mavic cassatte work or any other option?

bike boy said:

Purchase the conversion cassette recommended by the Saris.

I used to use the 9 speed conversion cassette. But now I just use a dur-ace 10 speed cassette and it all seems to work fine. I get 10 gears shifting is smooth and I'm a happy camper. I never would have guessed it would work. But have 1,500 miles on that configuration right now and so far so good.

bike boy said:
Is that not 9 spd?

No, 10 speed. Just put the standard adaptor as sold on the PT website and you're away. It comes with a few different spacers, and you may have to play around with them to get the shifting just right.

bike boy said:

Use a Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette (I think that this is the brand Saris recommends). Don't try an American Classic conversion cassette -- it won't fit on the PT hub. I tried a Mavic Cass. and the model I got only worked with Mavic freehub bodies, so I returned it. The Wheels cass. comes with a number of shims of varying thickness to space out the large cog so it doesn't contact the spokes. Once you dial this in, it works very well.

Like one of the other posts indicated, I've also heard that 10 sp. dura ace will work with campy 10. I haven't tried it yet but plan on borrowing a friend's wheel just to see.

rob of the og said:
No, 10 speed. Just put the standard adaptor as sold on the PT website and you're away. It comes with a few different spacers, and you may have to play around with them to get the shifting just right.
Is this adaptor a full cassatte or just spacers?

bike boy said:
Is this adaptor a full cassatte or just spacers?

Full cassette with a range of available sprocket sizes. I've never managed to get the shifting as perfect as with a Record cassette, but it's not too bad.

It's interesting to hear that people have had success with a Dura Ace cassette, perhaps I'll try that when I've worn this one out.

rob of the og said:
Full cassette with a range of available sprocket sizes. I've never managed to get the shifting as perfect as with a Record cassette, but it's not too bad.

It's interesting to hear that people have had success with a Dura Ace cassette, perhaps I'll try that when I've worn this one out.

I would like to have an 12-25 would this be possiable?

rob of the og said:
you could always go to the powertap website and find the list of cassette options on there... ;)
yeah I have done that and it onlt lists 11-25 0r 11-23 but was wondering if thier was anyway of adapting it as you said you get a range of sprockets

smart ass :D

bike boy said:
yeah I have done that and it onlt lists 11-25 0r 11-23 but was wondering if thier was anyway of adapting it as you said you get a range of sprockets

So Dude, What have you done and has it worked? I'm in the same bind.

bike boy said:

So Dude, what have you tried and has it worked? I'm in the same bind.

123smt said:
I went for a marchissto 10 spd convertion cassaate in the end, fits a shimano hub but has perfect campag spacing.

works well but is expensive £100.

although all the cogs are seperate and can be brought for £10 each so if you only wear certain ones like the 17 0r 19 it could work out cheeper in the long run.:confused:

bike boy said:
I went for a marchissto 10 spd convertion cassaate in the end, fits a shimano hub but has perfect campag spacing.

works well but is expensive £100.

although all the cogs are seperate and can be brought for £10 each so if you only wear certain ones like the 17 0r 19 it could work out cheeper in the long run.:confused:
Thanks for the reply. I requested info from Marchisio. We'll see how it turns out. Cheers.

I am trying my best in understanding the relation between Powertap, hub, cassette and such but... I am still struggling.

How does it work exactly.

I have just ordered a PT SL, with a 32 hole campag hub.

My bike is equiped with campag veloce, 9 speed. Em I ok? or will I have a bad surprise?

SolarEnergy said:
I am trying my best in understanding the relation between Powertap, hub, cassette and such but... I am still struggling.

How does it work exactly.

I have just ordered a PT SL, with a 32 hole campag hub.

My bike is equiped with campag veloce, 9 speed. Em I ok? or will I have a bad surprise?
The original PT hubs were for Shimano cassettes only and required an adaptor to use a Campy cassette. The new hubs (like the one you will get) are offered in both Campy and Shimano. You'll be fine.

123smt said:

As I said above, I had *some* luck with the PowerTap conversion cassette, but never really got it quite right. However, I bought a standard Ultegra 10-speed cassette and it runs absolutely perfectly. I have a right mix-and-match: Record shifters, Chorus rear mech, Connex chain, Ultegra cassette on PowerTap Pro hub; but it goes up and down as smoothly as any system I've ever ridden.

rob of the og said:
...However, I bought a standard Ultegra 10-speed cassette and it runs absolutely perfectly. I have a right mix-and-match: Record shifters, Chorus rear mech, Connex chain, Ultegra cassette on PowerTap Pro hub; but it goes up and down as smoothly as any system I've ever ridden.
Rob, That's the course I 'm going to try. My LBS told me the same thing and I was skeptical, but they said that the total spacing in the back makes the tolerance for 10 spd the same for Campy and Shimano. Sounds too good to be true. I'll let you guys know.:rolleyes:

rob of the og said:
As I said above, I had *some* luck with the PowerTap conversion cassette, but never really got it quite right. However, I bought a standard Ultegra 10-speed cassette and it runs absolutely perfectly. I have a right mix-and-match: Record shifters, Chorus rear mech, Connex chain, Ultegra cassette on PowerTap Pro hub; but it goes up and down as smoothly as any system I've ever ridden.

I have also been using the Shimano 10s cassettes and Shimano chain with good results. I would describe it as 98% with just a little rattle at the top and bottom. I think the Shimano chain shifts a little smoother than the Campy or Wipperman. I have a PowerTap Pro built on a Bontrager Race X Lite Aero rim and like you just couldn't get the spacing right with the Wheels Manufacturing cassette. Either the rear der. hit the spokes or the 11 cog wouldn't seat. The Shimano stuff is also cheaper and more readily available.