10 speed chain on 9 speed system?

John Cisco10

Dec 25, 2005
Hi -
I'm getting ready to upgrade to Shimano 10 speed from 9 speed. I got the 10 speed chain and cassette...waiting for my next paycheck to order the shifters and derailleur. Today on my ride my chain broke...it's old and didn't suprise me that it finally went. Can I put my 10 speed chain on and just use that for the next few weeks until I get the rest of the 10 speed stuff in or do I have to go buy a 9 speed chain?
As far as I can tell, the only difference is the 10 speed chain is a little narrower. Everything I could find online about the new 10 speed stuff was just that the chain wasn't compatible with 9 speed systems...but didn't tell why.

Does anyone know for sure if it will work and if not...why not? I'd rather save the $40 but I can't afford to be off my bike for 2 weeks. Will be talking with a shop sometime tomorrow about this but wanted to see if anyone had done this before the shop tries to just get money out of me.

thanks
John

John Cisco10 said:
Hi -
I'm getting ready to upgrade to Shimano 10 speed from 9 speed. I got the 10 speed chain and cassette...waiting for my next paycheck to order the shifters and derailleur. Today on my ride my chain broke...it's old and didn't suprise me that it finally went. Can I put my 10 speed chain on and just use that for the next few weeks until I get the rest of the 10 speed stuff in or do I have to go buy a 9 speed chain?
As far as I can tell, the only difference is the 10 speed chain is a little narrower. Everything I could find online about the new 10 speed stuff was just that the chain wasn't compatible with 9 speed systems...but didn't tell why.

Does anyone know for sure if it will work and if not...why not? I'd rather save the $40 but I can't afford to be off my bike for 2 weeks. Will be talking with a shop sometime tomorrow about this but wanted to see if anyone had done this before the shop tries to just get money out of me.

thanks
John
I've got good news for you. Not only can you use the ten speed chain until you make the change over, you don't (or at least PROBABLY won't) have to change out your RD. The Shimano 9's and 10's all sweep the same distance from side to side.

gclark8 said:
He is right, John, just buy the RH 10 speed shifter. Its all go mate!! :D
If I could I'd like to ask a question also. Will the Ultegra 9 speed front chain rings and derailleur work with the 10 speed chain and shifters?

Thanks.

rodenmg said:
If I could I'd like to ask a question also. Will the Ultegra 9 speed front chain rings and derailleur work with the 10 speed chain and shifters?

Thanks.
yes it will

gclark8 said:
He is right, John, just buy the RH 10 speed shifter. Its all go mate!! :D

10-speed shifters have been redesigned, so although using your old 9-speed on the left and a new 10-speed on the right would work, they wouldn't match. Besides, shifters are generally sold in pairs.

Two other points:

1. The 10 speed chain works on 9-speed stuff because the inner width is the same. Only the outer width is narrower. Thus, a 9-speed chain will NOT work on 10-speed stuff.

2. If your 9-speed cassette and/or chainrings are worn, they can trash your new 10-speed chain. Your broken 9-speed chain may be repairable with a quick-link, at least until you buy your new 10-speed stuff.

Bob

John Cisco10 said:
Hi -

thanks
John

John,

Another thing you my want to keep in mind. You rode your chain until it broke. Riding a worn chain riskes damage to a $90.00 cassette. I always change my chains every 1,500 miles. I would rather spend $20.00 and the piece of mind with a new chain than risk spending $90.00 for a new cassette not to mention being stuck miles from home.

Shimano has compatibility charts on it's website:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con.../compatibility_charts/road_compatibility.html

It seems according to this that the rear drive is completely compatible except for some rear hub/cassette issues. Nine speed shifters can be used with 10 speed derailleurs, but need a 9 speed cassette, and 10 speed shifters need 10 speed cassette. Presumably because the indexing in the shifter needs to align with cassette spacing?

The front drive is not compatible. However, I have heard of people using nine speed rings with 10 speed shifters, chain, and F derailleur. It works, but not perfectly. They eventually switch over to 10 speed cranks and it works much better. I would just buy a 105 chain and not wear my 10 speed out on already worn rings and cogs.

John Cisco10 said:
Hi -

thanks
John
As the others say the 10s chain will work, but the narrower chain may not shift up to the large chainring as well as a 9s chain. The newer 10s chainrings have the same pitch teeth but have pick-up pins and ramps to better facilitate moving the narrower 10s chain.

wow thanks for the gobs of replies

I did decide just to buy a new 9 speed chain. My 9 speed stuff has loads of miles on it...that's why i didn't want to just put in a new link and pin on the old 9 speed chain. That chain has probably 15,000 miles on it!

That's really interesting about not needing the 10 speed RD.

Thanks for all the info.