10 speed chains and power*locks*

TerryJ wrote:

> If you have a chain that needs extremely careful fitting to avoid
> failure,

Any chain is dead easy to fit using a "Powerlink" type link.

> must be kept always clean

No more so than any other chain.

> and chucked after a thousand miles

What evidence do you have that a narrow 10-speed chain wears quicker than an
average 8 or 9-speed one?

~PB

> Part of this, of course, is that professionals' bikes are very well
> maintained by the best mechanics available, and I suspect they replace
> chains much more frequently than you or I do. They certainly inspect and
> clean chains much more frequently than some people do.

If you have a chain that needs extremely careful fitting to avoid
failure, must be kept always clean and chucked after a thousand miles
then you are welcome to keep it.

As I have said I never had a chain snap before that I can recall.

TerryJ

"TerryJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Part of this, of course, is that professionals' bikes are very well
>> maintained by the best mechanics available, and I suspect they replace
>> chains much more frequently than you or I do. They certainly inspect and
>> clean chains much more frequently than some people do.

> If you have a chain that needs extremely careful fitting to avoid
> failure, must be kept always clean and chucked after a thousand miles
> then you are welcome to keep it.
>
> As I have said I never had a chain snap before that I can recall.

There's an echo here!

cheers,
clive

'''A chain breaks when a link plate gets pried off of the end of a
chain rivet. On a road bike, this is most likely to happen when the
rider is shifting under load, particularly in the rear.'''

the chain that broke twice came with a brand new dahon jetstream xp
and was a fancy lightweight with little holes in it .It snapped
through mid shaft of the side plates, nowhere near the pins, when in a
lowish but not bottom gear , once when I arrived at the bottom of a
1in 8 and once as I set off enthusiastically at traffic lights.I weigh
95 kg..''

TerryJ

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
[email protected] says...

> What evidence do you have that a narrow 10-speed chain wears quicker than an
> average 8 or 9-speed one?

It seems likely that they will, as the bearing surfaces are smaller.

Pete Biggs wrote:
> For Campag 10-speed, I like the idea of sticking with chains as narrow as
> the Campag Ultra Narrow to minimise noise. (That is what they were
> invented for. The 5.9mm Ultra Narrow replaced the previous 6.1mm 10-speed
> chain). This can be joined with a Wipperman Conex link ("Shimano" version).

I went with a Shimano 10speed chain which is advertised as 5.88mm, so
we'll see what happens. I'm trying to do this upgrade with at least a
pretence of not spending bucketloads, cos it seems silly to be blowing
several hundreds of squid on a bike that only cost £400 to start with
(and that was in 1994). So am going to find out (1) how well a Mirage
front lever will shift a Shimano mech; (2) if badly, how well a Campy
front mech will shift a shimano chainwheel. Otherwise the upgrade
treadmill of death will probably consume my bottom bracket as well.
Shifting the front currently requires earnest prayer and a deep breath
anyway

Lots of stuff turned up today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coruskate/510775462/ :) Still waiting for
a 50T chainring (to replace the Biopace ring it currently has, and to
make the ratios a bit saner on the new cassette) and some handlebar tape.

Thanks for the tips

-dan

"Daniel Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So am going to find out (1) how well a Mirage front lever will shift a
> Shimano mech; (2) if badly, how well a Campy front mech will shift a
> shimano chainwheel.

9 positions, so a campy shifter will drive a shimano front mech just fine.
(It's what I've got :) ). Except some of the new shifters don't have that
flexibility :-(

cheers,
clive