10 speed front derailleur w/9-speed chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by hawkk, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. hawkk

    hawkk Guest

    I am currently putting together a list of components for a frame. I
    want to stay with 9-speed due to the fact I can use an SRAM chain that
    can be removed by hand and cleaned easily. I want to use Shimano front
    derailleur FD-6600. Will there be a compatibility issue between this
    derailleur and the 9-speed chain? I'll be using STI 9-speed shifters.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. hawkk wrote:
    > I am currently putting together a list of components for a frame. I
    > want to stay with 9-speed due to the fact I can use an SRAM chain that
    > can be removed by hand and cleaned easily. I want to use Shimano front
    > derailleur FD-6600. Will there be a compatibility issue between this
    > derailleur and the 9-speed chain? I'll be using STI 9-speed shifters.
    >
    > Thanks

    First, many 10s links to be iused with 10s chains ala Sram, Wipperman
    chain and link, for instance, for 10s.

    Second, 9s shimano FD work well with 10s shifters but not the other way
    around. Your best performance would come with a shimano 9s FD, ala
    6500. Not because of the chain but because of the arm length,
    dimensions of the FD, that changed with shimano 10s. What you will find
    that the travel of the 10s FD is not far enough with 9s. It will rub in
    small ring, big cog combo and big ring and small cog combo...

  3. hawkk wrote:
    > want to stay with 9-speed due to the fact I can use an SRAM chain that
    > can be removed by hand and cleaned easily.

    There are 10 speed chains that can be removed by hand.

    I just installed a KMC 10 speed chain using thier "Missing Link". They
    say it's reusable, just don't use an old one with a new chain. It looks
    pretty similar to the SRAM link, so should be alright I guess.

    Anyway, I would think the narrower cage of the 10s front derailleur
    would need trimming more often if you used it with a 9s chain. I
    haven't tried it so I could be wrong, but even with a 10s chain my
    FD-6600 needs more trimming than any of my 9s front derailleurs ever
    did.

  4. I have stubbornly stuck with seven speeds on my bikes, seeing no need
    for more cogs than is necessary. The LX front derailer on my MTB is
    rated as a a nine speed, and it shifts fine. just be sure the lever and
    mech. ar matched.

    Be warned though, that if you use an indexed front lever with only two
    clicks (no fine adjustments), setting it will be finicky at best, as the
    fit is tight. Or do what I did. Scour the back room of your LBS and see
    if they have any old style friction shifters. These will allow you to
    fine tune for chain deflection.

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"