10 Speed MTB/Touring Cassette

R Brickston

Guest
Is it possible to mill 1.78 mm 30-34 tooth Shimano sprockets to the 10
speed thickness of 1.6 mm and sneak it on to a set of "road" cogs to
make a "mega" 10 speed touring cassette?

R Brickston wrote:
> Is it possible to mill 1.78 mm 30-34 tooth Shimano sprockets to the 10
> speed thickness of 1.6 mm and sneak it on to a set of "road" cogs to
> make a "mega" 10 speed touring cassette?

If it is only one cog, I betcha you can just assemble it as is and it
will likely work.

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:14:47 GMT, R Brickston
<rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

>Is it possible to mill 1.78 mm 30-34 tooth Shimano sprockets to the 10
>speed thickness of 1.6 mm and sneak it on to a set of "road" cogs to
>make a "mega" 10 speed touring cassette?

Dear RB,

If Sheldon doesn't comment, you should email or call him about your
insane--er, your intriguing and perfectly sensible scheme, just in
case the following applies:

"10-speed cassettes have a recess built into the back of the big
spider module, allowing them to fit farther onto the Freehub body than
older cassettes. This limits the possiblities of customizing the
ratios, because you can't install a flat sprocket behind the spider
module...you run out of clearance at the other end if you try."

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#10

(In the reverse of your situation, I still have a large 17-tooth front
countershaft sprocket for a Honda trials motorcycle. It replaced the
standard 14-tooth and improved highway speed about 20%, but it
wouldn't have worked without a very odd washer and spacer.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:16:34 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:14:47 GMT, R Brickston
><rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to mill 1.78 mm 30-34 tooth Shimano sprockets to the 10
>>speed thickness of 1.6 mm and sneak it on to a set of "road" cogs to
>>make a "mega" 10 speed touring cassette?

>Dear RB,
>
>If Sheldon doesn't comment, you should email or call him about your
>insane--er, your intriguing and perfectly sensible scheme, just in
>case the following applies:
>
>"10-speed cassettes have a recess built into the back of the big
>spider module, allowing them to fit farther onto the Freehub body than
>older cassettes. This limits the possiblities of customizing the
>ratios, because you can't install a flat sprocket behind the spider
>module...you run out of clearance at the other end if you try."
>
>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#10
>
>(In the reverse of your situation, I still have a large 17-tooth front
>countershaft sprocket for a Honda trials motorcycle. It replaced the
>standard 14-tooth and improved highway speed about 20%, but it
>wouldn't have worked without a very odd washer and spacer.)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Yeah, looking at the blow up diagram of the cassette I see those
bastards have mounted the low three cogs on a carrier:

http://tinyurl.com/ogjxu

Couldn't this three gear assembly be be replaced by three seperate
cogs and spacers?

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 05:16:54 GMT, R Brickston
<rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:16:34 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:14:47 GMT, R Brickston
>><rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to mill 1.78 mm 30-34 tooth Shimano sprockets to the 10
>>>speed thickness of 1.6 mm and sneak it on to a set of "road" cogs to
>>>make a "mega" 10 speed touring cassette?

>>Dear RB,
>>
>>If Sheldon doesn't comment, you should email or call him about your
>>insane--er, your intriguing and perfectly sensible scheme, just in
>>case the following applies:
>>
>>"10-speed cassettes have a recess built into the back of the big
>>spider module, allowing them to fit farther onto the Freehub body than
>>older cassettes. This limits the possiblities of customizing the
>>ratios, because you can't install a flat sprocket behind the spider
>>module...you run out of clearance at the other end if you try."
>>
>>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#10
>>
>>(In the reverse of your situation, I still have a large 17-tooth front
>>countershaft sprocket for a Honda trials motorcycle. It replaced the
>>standard 14-tooth and improved highway speed about 20%, but it
>>wouldn't have worked without a very odd washer and spacer.)
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>Yeah, looking at the blow up diagram of the cassette I see those
>bastards have mounted the low three cogs on a carrier:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/ogjxu
>
>Couldn't this three gear assembly be be replaced by three seperate
>cogs and spacers?

Dear RB,

You should ask the man behind the curtain in West Newton,
Massachusetts:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

He is not only a very good man, but a very good bike mechanic, too.

If you call after 6 pm EST, however, you may be greeted by this
recorded message:

"You dare to come to me for a bicycle part, do you? You clinking,
clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk!"

But do not be put off:

"Silence, Whippersnapper. The beneficent Oz has every intention of
granting your requests."

There may be one small catch:

"But first you must prove yourselves worthy by performing a very small
task. Bring me the FAQ of the Jobst of the West."

Hmmm . . . maybe email would be a better idea? That way, Sheldon could
ponder your problem at his leisure:

[email protected]

Cheers,

L.F. Baum

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:31:13 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 05:16:54 GMT, R Brickston
><rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:16:34 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>>>Dear RB,
>>>
>>>If Sheldon doesn't comment, you should email or call him about your
>>>insane--er, your intriguing and perfectly sensible scheme, just in
>>>case the following applies:
>>>
>>>"10-speed cassettes have a recess built into the back of the big
>>>spider module, allowing them to fit farther onto the Freehub body than
>>>older cassettes. This limits the possiblities of customizing the
>>>ratios, because you can't install a flat sprocket behind the spider
>>>module...you run out of clearance at the other end if you try."
>>>
>>>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#10
>>>
>>>(In the reverse of your situation, I still have a large 17-tooth front
>>>countershaft sprocket for a Honda trials motorcycle. It replaced the
>>>standard 14-tooth and improved highway speed about 20%, but it
>>>wouldn't have worked without a very odd washer and spacer.)
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Carl Fogel

>>Yeah, looking at the blow up diagram of the cassette I see those
>>bastards have mounted the low three cogs on a carrier:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/ogjxu
>>
>>Couldn't this three gear assembly be be replaced by three seperate
>>cogs and spacers?

>Dear RB,
>
>You should ask the man behind the curtain in West Newton,
>Massachusetts:
>
>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html
>
>He is not only a very good man, but a very good bike mechanic, too.
>
>If you call after 6 pm EST, however, you may be greeted by this
>recorded message:
>
>"You dare to come to me for a bicycle part, do you? You clinking,
>clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk!"
>
>But do not be put off:
>
>"Silence, Whippersnapper. The beneficent Oz has every intention of
>granting your requests."
>
>There may be one small catch:
>
>"But first you must prove yourselves worthy by performing a very small
>task. Bring me the FAQ of the Jobst of the West."
>
>Hmmm . . . maybe email would be a better idea? That way, Sheldon could
>ponder your problem at his leisure:
>
>[email protected]
>
>Cheers,
>
>L.F. Baum

I think the subject line may intrigue and he can answer at his own
leisure. I don't see a custom 10 speed cassette offered by Harris, so
I'm guessing it's not possible. It would be interesting to know why it
won't work.

> I think the subject line may intrigue and he can answer at his own
> leisure. I don't see a custom 10 speed cassette offered by Harris, so
> I'm guessing it's not possible. It would be interesting to know why it
> won't work.

I get asked this a LOT, so I have prepared a boilerplate response to
the frequent emails I receive, viz.:
We do lots of custom cassettes in 9-, 8- and 7-speed. Most of these
custom cassettes involve adding a larger rear sprocket for a lower
gear.

Unfortunately, the design of Shimano's 10-speed cassettes features a
recess in the spider mount for the larger sprockets, allowing the
innermost sprocket to be closer to the spokes than the shoulder on the
Freehub body.

This makes it impossible to substitute a different low-gear (largest)
sprocket. As a result, we are unable to offer custom 10-speed
cassettes, at least at this time.

The largest 10-speed sprocket currently available from Shimano is 27
teeth, and there is no way for us to install a larger one on a 10-speed
system.

However--all is not lost. Most 10-speed setups will allow you to
install a 9-speed cassette, and these are available in a much wider
range of useful gears. The 10-speed shifters will index a 9-speed
cassette if you use the "alternate cable routing" shown at:
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#alternate

Note, if you have a Dura-Ace 7800 hub, or a "10-speed" Ultegra 6800
wheel, those will _not_ accept a 9-speed cassette. Other
Shimano-compatible hubs will work with 8-, 9- or 10-speed cassettes.

9-speed cassette options are shown at http://harriscyclery.com/9.

If you want to go for a sprocket bigger than 30 teeth, you will likely
need to replace the rear derailer, but those are not expensive.

All the best,

Sheldon
Sheldon "Answers Emails With A Couple Of Mouse Clicks" Brown
| Millions of people say I exaggerate. |
| --Marty Gasman |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide