10 Speed Shimano - Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace Cassette

li0scc0

Sep 20, 2004
In 2006 I converted to Shimano from Campagnolo (sponsorship issue, not by my own intention!).

Initially both my training and racing wheels had Dura-Ace 10 speed 11-23 cassettes. Great. Wheel changes between the two was flawless.

When it was time to replace cassettes, I replaced BOTH cassettes (and the chain, of course) so both would have new cassettes. On the racing wheels, I have Dura-Ace 10 11-23. On the training wheels, Ultegra 10 speed 11-23.

Unfortunately they are not even close. When I dial in the indexing for the Ultegra, it is off for the Dura-ace, and vice-versa. I have tried switching the cassettes as an experiment, and the shifting is still way off.

As an FYI, both wheels have the low spacer installed. And both wheels have the same hub, so that is not the issue.

Funny note: I COULD use the Dura-ace cassette on the hub without a low spacer and it fits tight. However, the Ultegra cassette is very loose without the low spacer and, it could use two low spacers without much trouble. In fact, when I use two low spacers for the Ultegra it shifts closer to the Dura-Ace 10, but is still not the same (especially in the 21 and 23).

So what gives? Is the Ultegra cassette not 'spaced' the same as the Dura-ace 10? Flawed design? Do I simply have a bad cassette? Anybody have any experience with this?

This is frustrating to a Campy devotee, as Veloce 10 was exactly the same as Centaur, as Chorus, and as Record 10 with respect to spacing.

Steve

What about the new SRAM stuff comming out later this summer? I've heard its going to blow campy record & dura-ace out of the water.

ryan_velo. said:
What about the new SRAM stuff comming out later this summer? I've heard its going to blow campy record & dura-ace out of the water.
Not so sure, I'm not sold on the way the shifter works. Seems susceptible to error. Won't know until I try it.