10-speed Ultegra crank friction

Gig

Guest
Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?

Greg

Gig wrote:
> Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
>
> Greg

has the bb shell ever been faced?

Gig wrote:
> Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
>
> Greg

I've heard there are more seals in the new 10 speed bbs, and that you
can take out some if you like.

My early Dura-Ace 10s bb was very , very low friction, but newer ones
I've worked on are noticably higher.

Gig wrote:
> Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
>
> Greg

Yes, yes and no...for the other gents post, DO NOT take seals outta the
BB, bad idea as they are there to ensure the spacing is correct for the
crank..YES to facing the BB shell altho don't make it too small, that
will goon things up as well...now why are these external BBs a good
idea again??

This is a Litespeed Vortex 2005 year frame. I've been told few shops
have the ability to face Titanium. Would Litespeed have done this at
the factory?

Greg

Gig wrote:
> This is a Litespeed Vortex 2005 year frame. I've been told few shops
> have the ability to face Titanium. Would Litespeed have done this at
> the factory?

probably fine.I've seen few US made titanium frames that need facing.
BUT seal drag is huge with shimano and FSA outboard BBs, better with
Campagnolo. Why shimano went to the newer XTR BB design for 2007.
Hopefully that design, where you can adjust the BB, will filter down to
road/XT stuff.

> Greg
>
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Gig wrote:
> > > Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> > > Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> > > possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
> > >
> > > Greg

> > Yes, yes and no...for the other gents post, DO NOT take seals outta the
> > BB, bad idea as they are there to ensure the spacing is correct for the
> > crank..YES to facing the BB shell altho don't make it too small, that
> > will goon things up as well...now why are these external BBs a good
> > idea again??

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Gig wrote:
> > Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> > Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> > possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
> >
> > Greg

> Yes, yes and no...for the other gents post, DO NOT take seals outta the
> BB, bad idea as they are there to ensure the spacing is correct for the
> crank..YES to facing the BB shell altho don't make it too small, that
> will goon things up as well...now why are these external BBs a good
> idea again??

Because Octalink was a failure and Shimano could either eat crow and
return to square taper, or "invent" something NEW! NEW!! NEW!!!.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Gig wrote:
> > > Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
> > > Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
> > > possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
> > >
> > > Greg

> > Yes, yes and no...for the other gents post, DO NOT take seals outta the
> > BB, bad idea as they are there to ensure the spacing is correct for the
> > crank..YES to facing the BB shell altho don't make it too small, that
> > will goon things up as well...now why are these external BBs a good
> > idea again??

> Because Octalink was a failure and Shimano could either eat crow and
> return to square taper, or "invent" something NEW! NEW!! NEW!!!.

Ain't it the truth....

"Gig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a Litespeed Vortex 2005 year frame. I've been told few shops
> have the ability to face Titanium. Would Litespeed have done this at
> the factory?

Litespeeds are faced very well as new in my experience. I don't like the
external BBs either. The FSA is the only one I have experience with. It
took a while to get the torque right to the point where it was tight enought
so the crank wouldn't loosen up after 50 miles or loose enough so it didn't
bind even more. Definitely more friction with these seals, but my FSA did
"loosen" up after about 1500 miles. It's finally acceptable and the cranks
doesn't come loose anymore, but never again on this design for me. Back to
Campy square taper for me.

Ken

> Greg
>
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Gig wrote:
>> > Just completed upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed crank from 9-speed Dura
>> > Ace. Seems like there is significantly more friction in the crank,
>> > possibly due to the seals? Is this normal? Will it break in?
>> >
>> > Greg

>> Yes, yes and no...for the other gents post, DO NOT take seals outta the
>> BB, bad idea as they are there to ensure the spacing is correct for the
>> crank..YES to facing the BB shell altho don't make it too small, that
>> will goon things up as well...now why are these external BBs a good
>> idea again??

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>> Because Octalink was a failure and Shimano could either eat crow and
>> return to square taper, or "invent" something NEW! NEW!! NEW!!!.

> Ain't it the truth....

Nothing against Shimano inventing something new, may I humbly suggest:
-SuperSquare,
-UltraSquare,
-HyperSquare.

Should suffice to S going for a while ;)
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:28:03 +0100, M-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>>> Because Octalink was a failure and Shimano could either eat crow and
>>> return to square taper, or "invent" something NEW! NEW!! NEW!!!.

>> Ain't it the truth....
>>

>Nothing against Shimano inventing something new, may I humbly suggest:
>-SuperSquare,
>-UltraSquare,
>-HyperSquare.
>
>Should suffice to S going for a while ;)

Hexataper! Like square taper, but 50% more contact areas!

Jasper

M-gineering wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> >> Because Octalink was a failure and Shimano could either eat crow and
> >> return to square taper, or "invent" something NEW! NEW!! NEW!!!.

> > Ain't it the truth....
> >

> Nothing against Shimano inventing something new, may I humbly suggest:
> -SuperSquare,
> -UltraSquare,
> -HyperSquare.
>
> Should suffice to S going for a while ;)

OctaSquare. Works on 4 and/or 8 sided spindles. And any other
multiple of 48. Backward and forward compatible. Never have to buy
another bottom bracket spindle. Unless you want a different color.