10 speed vs 9 speed MTB?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
what's up with this new 10 speed ****? will the new cassettes work on the old 9 speed hubs? how do the new chains hold up?

Originally Posted by Strelok .

what's up with this new 10 speed ****? will the new cassettes work on the old 9 speed hubs? how do the new chains hold up?
Hi Strelok, that depends on your freewheel hub?

To ask, what issue do you have with the new 10spd Groupsets :)

The new 10 spd is great used as a 2x10 setup. You get enough gears and you can save weight. Yes the cassette will work on the same hubs. The chains hold up fine.

Embrace new technology as it only improves the sport.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi Strelok, that depends on your freewheel hub?

To ask, what issue do you have with the new 10spd Groupsets :)

it makes my old 9 speed obsolete. -_- do these new double set ups have what would be considered granny gearing?

Keep in mind regardless of what you have it will become old school in terms of the latest and greatest. As far as 9 speed being obsolete I have 7 and 8 speed bikes which I am able to maintain very easily. New technology is great but it should not make us look at what we already have as inferior.

true, but that's part of the problem. if building a new bike you want to use the newer style systems otherwise you may not be able to find parts when you need them 5+ years down the road.

true, but that's part of the problem. if building a new bike you want to use the newer style systems otherwise you may not be able to find parts when you need them 5+ years down the road.

Hi Strelok, yes, you are right ... getting 9spd parts will become an issue.

The 9spd system actually changes better and is more tolerant to wear and variation.
I guess the real improvements provided by the 10spd systems is the intoduction of the 11-36T cassette and MTB RD system, and some reduction of weight (some would also argue better sprocket ratios) :)

If you have a Shimano freehub then they are generally 9/10spd compatible, because the cassettes are the same width :)

Hi Strelok, yes, you are right ... getting 9spd parts will become an issue.

What do you think will happen to the Alivio and Deore groups. Will they be severed from the line up or rolled into the 10 speed family over time?

7 speed stuff is still available and it shows no sign of disappearing yet. New entry level bikes for most manufacturers still come with 7, and will for at least 2012, so Shimano will have to supply spares for that for a few more years yet.

Considering how long it has been since 6 speed bit the dust, I reckon 8 will be around for a good while yet.

tafi said:
7 speed stuff is still available and it shows no sign of disappearing yet. New entry level bikes for most manufacturers still come with 7, and will for at least 2012, so Shimano will have to supply spares for that for a few more years yet.
Considering how long it has been since 6 speed bit the dust, I reckon 8 will be around for a good while yet.
Hi tafi, can you still get decent levers for 7spd systems? I guess you could always use 9 or even 10spd shifter on a 7spd cassette? I guess as long as it is not the 7spd screw-on freewheel cassette, it is still possible to get some decent 7/8/9spd cassettes, at least from SRAM, although not many retailers are stocking 7/8spd cassettes nowadays (which is understandable). Sun Tour made some nice 7spd screw-on freewheel cassettes, but the freewheel hub approach is definitely better. Perhaps the main thing that will keep the 9spd parts alive is the MTB systems, although they are slowly going 10spd :) Hey tafi, is it possible to still get indexed downtube twin levers, with the band-on? if so, do you mind posting the Urls ... thanks :)

Originally Posted by MMMhills .

The new 10 spd is great used as a 2x10 setup. You get enough gears and you can save weight. Yes the cassette will work on the same hubs. The chains hold up fine.

Embrace new technology as it only improves the sport.
Altho I like the gearing selections associated with MTB 10s, and I think shimano has done a better job, a more refined job of 10s than sram has, not all 'new technology' should be embraced. Some is just plain dumb. BB30, Pressfit BB30, with it's lack of reliability, comes to mind. With Wheels Manufacturing and others making better bearings than the junque now found in sram BB30/PFBB30, it has improved but proprietary stuff for unique frames and parts has never been a good idea.

In addition, even tho 10s chains, close cogsets work, they don't have the tolerance for poor weather, muddy riding that 8s had. More expensive cogsets, chains and chainrings that work but don't last like older designs, the price to pay for 'new technology'.

Change is inevitable, progress is optional.

Geez I feel old, but I still remember when 3 and 5 speed bikes were popular and 10-speeds were the "fancy" road bikes. I too wonder if 10 x 2 isn't better suited to road bikes than MTB as I've been through the evolution from 5 x 3 to the time tested 7 x 3 and now on to 8-9 x 3 MTB configurations. I still like my old Trek with 7 x 3 for trail riding. Time will tell, as technologies that don't result in improvement tend to fall by the wayside and trends come and go. In the 1980-90s nobody would have predicted the resurgence of single-speeds and fixies that is taking place today. While I admire the best in modern bike technology, I also think it's cool to see teenagers riding balloon tired retro bikes.

To the OP, don't worry too much about your bikes becoming obsolete. I grew up with a father who was into restoration of antique vehicles and equipment and it is amazing how long parts remain available. There are so many of the quality 7-speed and up freewheels and cassettes still in use that you will be able to find parts for a long time to come. With the internet I've been able to find used, restored, NOS and quality reproduction parts for bikes from the 1950s and my LBSs have had no problem ordering parts for my bikes from the 1990s.

Hi tafi, can you still get decent levers for 7spd systems?
I guess you could always use 9 or even 10spd shifter on a 7spd cassette?
I guess as long as it is not the 7spd screw-on freewheel cassette, it is still possible to get some decent 7/8/9spd cassettes, at least from SRAM, although not many retailers are stocking 7/8spd cassettes nowadays (which is understandable). Sun Tour made some nice 7spd screw-on freewheel cassettes, but the freewheel hub approach is definitely better.
Perhaps the main thing that will keep the 9spd parts alive is the MTB systems, although they are slowly going 10spd :)
Hey tafi, is it possible to still get indexed downtube twin levers, with the band-on? if so, do you mind posting the Urls ... thanks :)
I purchased this past summer for around 12 bucks through Amazon a Shimano Mega Range 7 speed freewheel. It took me all of 2 minutes to locate and purchased. Arrived in front of my garage 2 days later.

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

In addition, even tho 10s chains, close cogsets work, they don't have the tolerance for poor weather, muddy riding that 8s had. More expensive cogsets, chains and chainrings that work but don't last like older designs, the price to pay for 'new technology'.

I was thinking along the same line on mud clearance. Hopefully my 8 speed chain and chain wheel will stand up to the occasional impact with rocks out on the trails better than 10 speed. I'm not using a bash guard. Should add one to my wish list.