$100 fines for cyclists in East Perth

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by suomynona, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. suomynona

    suomynona Guest

    Hi,

    Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
    this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
    were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
    footbridge.

    I am (twice daily) bemused why this single 50m section of probably the
    safest, slowest, widest and highest visibility section of our 100's of
    km's beautiful bike paths in Perth is such a focus for the local
    council? There are many far more dangerous sections for both
    pedestrians and cyclists that get significantly more traffic that are
    not addressed by the same council, some just a few hundred metres away
    (Narrows bridge underpass for one).

    Anyway, the cycle police officers were really friendly and informative
    about it all (thx guys) and are just doing there job, but from what I
    could overhear the council would be doing this for the next few weeks.

    Cheers,
    suomynonA - who was lucky enough to avoid being fined:)

    Tags:

  2. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    I can assume you are required to dismount & push your bike across the footbridge?

    I understood that there may be similar moves along the Southbank/Crown promanard in Melbourne due to the increase in reported incidences.

  3. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    You mean the planked suspension bridge with the 'cyclist dismount' signs and the 'traffic calming' devices?

    I wonder if we can get the police and council rangers down to the nearby bike path along the river to have a chat to some of the more stupid peds who wander aimlessly across/along the shared path.

    SteveA

  4. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    '

    I have seen some cyclists riding along the promenade at a far clip even though there are people everywhere. No wonder there are incidents. I suspect if people rode through slowly we wouldn't need to police the area.

  5. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "suomynona" wrote in message ...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
    > this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
    > were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
    > footbridge.

    Kickass.. sounds like a sprint point.. Just have to make sure you have
    enough kick to drop the coppers :)

    cheers,
    GPL

  6. suomynona

    suomynona Guest

    SteveA:
    > You mean the planked suspension bridge with the 'cyclist dismount'

    signs and the 'traffic calming' devices?

    Yep, thats the one. For those who don't know it, there are 5 (yep 5!)
    cyclist calming devices within a 50 metre stretch, so it is impossible
    to speed.

    > stupid peds who wander aimlessly across/along the shared path.

    Agreed. With spring/summer here, they are out in force again:( I
    wonder what they think the large white dashed lines in the middle of
    the path are for.

    I Should also mention that I am incredibly grateful to the local/state
    governments here for providing and maintaining the fantastic Perth
    Bicycle Network we have, even if I don't always agree with their
    application of safety measures:)

    --
    nonA -

  7. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    What was the fine actually for?

    In my local rag (Vincent Voice) it stated that that while they discouraged people from riding across the bridge it wasnt illegal to do so.

  8. gumby

    gumby Guest

    I rode with my childs' year seven class last week. There are signs on
    the East Perth/ClaiseBrook Bridge (north and south ends) that state
    under PCC By-Law blah blah $100 thanks if you ride across the bridge.

    Rich lawyers in East Perth enclave with contacts on council methinks

  9. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Better watch out, I hear Russel C is becoming a policeman:D (yes in Perth.)

    On topic: What a pathetic thing to do, catch some real criminals!!!!

  10. cyclist2

    cyclist2 New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    The bridge next to the entertainment centre is still open though the signs say it will be closed, a bit confusing.

  11. AJH

    AJH Guest

    What bike network ?

  12. AJH

    AJH Guest

    Oh that network, I guess I dont think its as great as some.

  13. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "suomynona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > SteveA:
    > > You mean the planked suspension bridge with the 'cyclist dismount'

    > signs and the 'traffic calming' devices?
    >
    > Yep, thats the one. For those who don't know it, there are 5 (yep 5!)
    > cyclist calming devices within a 50 metre stretch, so it is impossible
    > to speed.
    >
    > > stupid peds who wander aimlessly across/along the shared path.

    > Agreed. With spring/summer here, they are out in force again:( I
    > wonder what they think the large white dashed lines in the middle of
    > the path are for.
    >
    > I Should also mention that I am incredibly grateful to the local/state
    > governments here for providing and maintaining the fantastic Perth
    > Bicycle Network we have, even if I don't always agree with their
    > application of safety measures:)
    >
    > --
    > nonA -

    Yes, I'll agree that the Bike Path Network is coming on well. But I have
    reservations:
    (1) I cycled from Freo to work in Kwinana yesterday. I don't often ride from
    Freo, I live in the Hills and usually cycle from Armadale or Success - my
    commute is part drive, part cycle. Freo to work is about 15km along the
    road. Yesterday I decided to take the bike path. Geez! Nearly 23km! It winds
    about, being scenic, instead of providing a direct route. I've noted this
    with several bike routes. Gosnells to Perth, for instance, wanders about
    through parks and reserves. Very pretty but adds time and distance to a
    commute.
    There is a certain amount (not much) promotion for cycle commuting, but it
    seems to me that many paths are built with the assumption that cycling is
    really just a pastime, so we'll make it pretty rather than practical.
    I must admit that riding along the coast road through Henderson industrial
    area is scary enough to get me on the bike path. Plenty of 'traffic
    enraging' islands and squeeze points, coupled with trucks and redneck
    drivers of all sorts makes for some very close calls. I gave up 'claiming
    the lane' after so many people simply ignored double white lines and
    oncoming traffic to overtake me. I was concerned more that there would be a
    head-on crash than for my safety.
    I'd like to see a marked bike lane on roads like this for commuting on a
    direct route, with the scenic route being used for recreational cycling.
    (2) I've mentioned before how the bike paths treat us like second-class
    commuters by giving priority to motorised traffic at road junctions. Why
    would I use the bike path and have to stop/start when I can ride on the road
    and maintain my rhythm? Unfortunately, what I hear a lot of is "Bloody
    cyclists. We pay for nice bike paths and they don't use them. What are they
    doing on the road?" I really want to get involved with design of paths as
    well as attitude change that normalises bikes. That way we can get paths
    where they are needed (alongside highways, for example, like the new Roe
    Highway path - good one!) and save the infrastructure money spent on the
    useless (except for recreation) paths that meander about. If anyone's got
    any contacts in Perth that can help me get more involved, I'd appreciate the
    tip.
    I think it's high time cyclists were recognised as sometimes recreational,
    sometimes commuting, sometimes personal transport, etc. We're not all always
    'Sunday family picnic in the park' users.

    I'll repeat my previous sentiment: Integrate, not segregate!

    Cheers,

    Frank

  14. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "suomynona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
    > this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
    > were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
    > footbridge.
    >
    > I am (twice daily) bemused why this single 50m section of probably the
    > safest, slowest, widest and highest visibility section of our 100's of
    > km's beautiful bike paths in Perth is such a focus for the local
    > council? There are many far more dangerous sections for both
    > pedestrians and cyclists that get significantly more traffic that are
    > not addressed by the same council, some just a few hundred metres away
    > (Narrows bridge underpass for one).
    >
    > Anyway, the cycle police officers were really friendly and informative
    > about it all (thx guys) and are just doing there job, but from what I
    > could overhear the council would be doing this for the next few weeks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > suomynonA - who was lucky enough to avoid being fined:)

    Funny one, this. Last March the Touring Club held a ride and BBQ as part of
    Bike Week. The ride started from South Perth and went over this bridge on
    the way around. The chap leading the ride said that the signs had no legal
    meaning, so we didn't have to dismount.

    Has anyone checked on the legal standing of the signs before handing out
    fines? Perhaps someone should contact the bloke at the Touring Club (no idea
    who it was) and warn him he might be wrong. Anyone here a member of the
    club? If not, I'll drop an email via their website.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  15. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Jono L wrote:

    > On topic: What a pathetic thing to do, catch some real criminals!!!!

    By criminals do you mean people who are breaking the law? :)

    Theo

  16. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On 28 Nov 2005 19:03:54 -0800, suomynona wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
    > this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
    > were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
    > footbridge.

    Where exactly is this footbridge? I thought it was the one which goes
    to/from Claisebrook station, but I passed that on the way home last night
    (I work about 30m from the end of it) and there was a sign saying "cyclists
    must give way to pedestrians", or something similar, which to me means that
    you can cycle.

    Graeme

  17. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    suspension bridge across Claisebrook Inlet, near Lamont's Restaurant. Has wooden surface. Can ride under it on both ends.

    I work in Royal Street.

    SteveA