100 mile offroad MTB race injury recovery on turbo trainer

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by dead flyer, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dead flyer

dead flyer New Member

Hi, First off some background (ill try not to bore you too much). I started a new job last year and put on quite a bit of weight ending up at about 14st 8lbs Im 5ft 11ins, so pretty heavy. Decided to get back on the bike in April and have averaged about 15hrs a months since then plus the gym for general cardio work (i hate weights). As of today i have my weight down to 12st 4lbs. 3 weeks ago today i managed to damage my shoulder rotator cuff muscle (supraspinatus) in a fall. Im getting physiotherapy and feedback is it is improving and is a strain not a tear. Pretty devastated as fitness was coming along nicely and had ramped up to doing 22miles a ride in my local forest (mixture of fire tracks and singletrack) with about 2500ft of ascent in 2 hours with average speed just under 11mph. I dont want to go back on the bike too early and my shoulder is still achy so ive bought a Lemond revolution trainer and ive subscribed to trainerroad.com to do some power training. On.y had it a week though and have done three 1hr sessions so far. The main reason for this is recuperation but also that I have a 100 mile offroad mtb event on the 15th September which i really want to do. I had started ramping up and had done a couple of 45 mile rides off road (longest was 46miles mostly trails with 4000ft of climbing in 4hrs10mins). The event is the Kielder 100 and here is last years event with all 13000ft of climbing: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47798955 Basically, am I screwed or can I use the trainer to keep my fitness level up. Just worried I will have lost my climbing legs although I have lost weight since being off the bike some of that may be muscle (still actively dieting intake about 1500-1600 calories a day). BTW did an 20min FTP test and it came out at 200watts although i think i was holding back as i got it up to 370w in the last minuteofthe test. So interval training to improve cardio or long steady rides on the trainer, or both? I think i should be able to go out on my MTB in the next week or so, but will haveto take it easy. Six weeks to go to the race. Dean

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

You can do anything on the trainer that you can do on your bike from a fitness perspective. In fact, in your case it is the perfect training tool since you can ride the trainer with no strain on your shoulder. In fact, I often ride parts or all of my trainer workouts sitting straight upright to force myself to use my lower body only for power. Actually, the trainer is more efficient than riding outside because the ratio of quality time to total time is normally much higher on the trainer. I do everything on my trainer, including L7s. Actually, it's sort of funny because my highest recorded 5sec power was recorded in a 10x5sec L7 session on my trainer. Go figure. So, I'd say go for it -- do anything on your trainer you would normally do outside as far as constant power L3/L4 efforts and higher intensity efforts. Good luck.

3. dead flyer

dead flyer New Member

Thats good to know. Now I just need to find a 6 week programme that will build me up to the race.

Interestingly I find it easier to pedal sitting up than bent over and can put more power down that way. I dont know if this is because Im holding back because of my injured shoulder or its a posture thing?

Is there a link to an idiots guide to L1/L2/etc. training. Trainerroad spat some suggestions at me after the FTP test but to be honest I dont know really know what Im looking at. Is Active Recovery on their site L1, Endurance L2 etc?

This is the link to the FTP test:-
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/68940

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Yes. I highly recommend Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan. There are sample training plans and you can get more help at TrainingPeaks.com. BTW, I have no financial interest in either the book or the website. I just like their stuff.

5. DAL1955

DAL1955 New Member

Or, you could just read the first couple dozen pages of the "Its killing me" thread...:) RDO and others put a wealth of information in their posts.....