100 Mile Week

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dennis Baker, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    For the hard core riders in the group this probably isn't a big deal, but for me it's a major
    accomplishment. Over the last week I have put over 100 (DIRT) miles on my mountain bike. The split
    is probably about 65% singletrack, 10% Fireroads, 20% Farm/ Levee and unpaved county roads, and <5%
    pavement while getting to/ from the above. This includes one ride with over 2500' of climbing.

    Putting this into perspective about 12 months ago I though that a 10 mile mountain bike ride was a
    hardcore workout and required a recovery day.

    How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I was
    on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)

    See you on the trails

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Tags:

  2. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I was
    > on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)
    >
    > See you on the trails
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Way to go! I still think a 10 mile ride is a major accomplishment. Now lets see, for your reward ...
    I usually buy myself something. Anything you've been wanting but putting off?

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?

    Beer.

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 2 Dec 2002 10:32:45 -0800, [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote:

    >For the hard core riders in the group this probably isn't a big deal, but for me it's a major
    >accomplishment. Over the last week I have put over 100 (DIRT) miles on my mountain bike. The split
    >is probably about 65% singletrack, 10% Fireroads, 20% Farm/ Levee and unpaved county roads, and <5%
    >pavement while getting to/ from the above. This includes one ride with over 2500' of climbing.
    >
    >Putting this into perspective about 12 months ago I though that a 10 mile mountain bike ride was a
    >hardcore workout and required a recovery day.
    >
    >How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I was
    >on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)
    >
    >See you on the trails
    >
    >-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Too good to snip!

    Congrats!

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?

    I have the phone number for a local Thai place on my cell phone. By the time I get there from the
    trail head they have panang curry and shu mai waiting for me. Plus some fat tire or 90 schilling:)

    Ron

  6. John Harlow wrote:
    >>How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?
    >

    > Beer.

    and more riding.

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  7. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I
    > > was on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)
    > >
    > > See you on the trails
    > >
    > > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
    >
    > Way to go! I still think a 10 mile ride is a major accomplishment. Now lets see, for your reward
    > ... I usually buy myself something. Anything you've been wanting but putting off?

    I've been eyeing a laptop but the wife made me promise to keep my purchases in check until the
    holidays are over. She gets rather upset when I buy something this and she has to unwrap something
    from under the tree and return it.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  8. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I
    > > > was on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)
    > > >
    > > > See you on the trails
    > > >
    > > > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
    > >
    > > Way to go! I still think a 10 mile ride is a major accomplishment. Now lets see, for your reward
    > > ... I usually buy myself something.
    Anything
    > > you've been wanting but putting off?
    >
    > I've been eyeing a laptop but the wife made me promise to keep my purchases in check until the
    > holidays are over. She gets rather upset when I buy something this and she has to unwrap something
    > from under the tree and return it.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Ooops. Forgot about the SWMBO factor. If my husband were here he would interpret "rather upset" to
    mean "infuriated with ray guns set to incinerate". Maybe after the holidays? For now I guess you
    will just have to have some extra beer to compensate ;)

  9. Westridge

    Westridge Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For the hard core riders in the group this probably isn't a big deal,
    <snip>
    > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments? For some reason I keep thinking about when I was
    > on the bowling team in Jr High school and we got patches for our first 100 point game :)
    >
    > See you on the trails
    >
    > -- The Ogre

    Well done! I wish I had the time and could do that every week! I don't know about rewards for miles
    but when I fall off it's a lot like using my creditcard. I get airpoints and while it might've been
    good ride while it lasted it sure hurts at the end of it!

    Actually a good bottle of red wine (or two) and a big dinner out somewhere is often justified.

    Westie

  10. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?

    When we get really beat up of technical singletrack we out our road racing bike and do 100 fast
    kilometres on road. Nice change and a different kind of fun.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

  12. Cowpoo

    Cowpoo Guest

    Quit your job so you can ride more, then do bong hits all day to deal with the boredom.

    The bowling team?

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  14. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Per L wdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?
    >
    > When we get really beat up of technical singletrack we out our road racing bike and do 100 fast
    > kilometres on road. Nice change and a different kind of fun.

    Isn't that kind of like having great sex and then going off in a corner to masterbate to
    celebrate it :)

    Sorry road cycling just doesn't do it for me, just seems like all work and little/ no payoff.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  15. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    CowPoo <(nospam)[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Quit your job so you can ride more,

    Now your talking.

    > then do bong hits all day to deal with the boredom.

    Bong hits are not my style.

    > The bowling team?

    It was Jr High School (a long time ago for me)

    -- The Ogre

  16. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >>How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?
    >

    > Beer.

    Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream, usually Haagen Daz.

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  17. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > John Harlow wrote:
    > >>How do you guys commemorate your accomplishments?
    > >

    > > Beer.
    >
    > and more riding.
    >
    > Jon "Commander" Bond

    Sounds like a plan to me :)

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  18. Jd

    Jd Guest

    You mean like this? http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/120202002.jpg

    > You call that a commemoration?!

    On a daily basis.

    > Mike - *snif* I do.

    Damn skippy you do, Freak Vader.

    JD

  19. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

  20. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > And I've seen pictures of where your ride.
    > >
    > > You mean like this? http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/120202002.jpg

    Riding, Riding on the moon...(sung to Police tune "Walking on the moon!)

    Dave (boring.....)