100% new to cycling. Need help

alphakilo

Sep 26, 2014
Hey everyone, I'm totally new to cycling. I've decided to get into it. Basic info I'm 5'6" 174 pounds trying to get into better shape. I've been interested in mountain biking and decided I wanted to do that. But I also Will want to use my bike for a ~14 mile commute. My budget is low, like 150-200 $ is all I am able to budget for the bike and 200 is a bit high. I'm very handy so I'm confident I can do any repairs or upgrades. I don't know where to start at all. Help me? Lol thanks guys and girls.

You're probably not going to get many responses with that price range. Your best bet (read: only option) if you absolutely cannot afford more is going to be a department store bike. Try to at least get something from a sporting goods store and not Walmart. In that price range, avoid anything with suspension. If you're very patient, you may be able to find something slightly better on Craiglist, but used bike prices tend to be outrageous.

Get a rough idea of what size you need, watch Craigslist like a hawk, and lowball the hell out of sellers.

Congratulations on making the decision to ride! It's a great first step.

Look at Craigslist for options and based on your height you may need a SMALL frame or MEDIUM frame. I would try a bike in a Walmart or the like to see what 'fits' you as many of the bike manufacturers will use the same XS/S/M/L/XL sizing guides.

Don't get too crazy. You might be able to pick up a nice mountain bike and swap the knobby tires to 'slicks' for < $50.

Make sure you GOOGLE the helpful hints on how to buy a used bike (lots of info out there to consume & wade through).

http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-buy-bicycle-on-craigslistorg.html Is a start - and this was the 1st GOOGLE hit I came up with.

Understand the bikes that are **** and Walmart / toys r us bikes and avoid them at all costs. Don't get hung up on a specific brand but I will tell you that you might fond some decent Specialized bikes that are 5-7 years old for reasonable prices

Nice bike : http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bik/4696667229.html But this is what you should be looking for.

Also check prices on Bicycle Blue Book and offer 10-25% lower than the USED price listed.

Good luck!