100 years tour de france

Paul Jones

Guest
The tour de france website talks about a book on the first 100 years.

is there an English language version in Australia?

> The tour de france website talks about a book on the first 100 years.
>
> is there an English language version in Australia?

Paul,

Just watch SBS starting tomorrow night at 7.30 pm (24/6) as they have a 3 week special on the
subject. Remember to video and keep for later.

Paulie

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:05:03 +0800, Paulie wrote:

> Just watch SBS starting tomorrow night at 7.30 pm (24/6) as they have a 3 week special on the
> subject. Remember to video and keep for later.

I just watched this (missed the first 15 minutes). Was it about the Tour, or the reporting
of the tour?

It seemed to concentrate more on the journalists than the riders!

*shrug* -kt

kingsley wrote: *snip*

> I just watched this (missed the first 15 minutes). Was it about the Tour, or the reporting of
> the tour?

Last week SBS was promoting the show as being about the Tours relationship with the media over the
last 100 years, not so much a history of the Tour.

"kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:05:03 +0800, Paulie wrote:
>
>> Just watch SBS starting tomorrow night at 7.30 pm (24/6) as they have a 3 week special on the
>> subject. Remember to video and keep for later.
>
> I just watched this (missed the first 15 minutes). Was it about the Tour, or the reporting of
> the tour?
>
> It seemed to concentrate more on the journalists than the riders!

it was mainly about the role of the media, advertising and (for a few years) Nazis, in how the Tour
was run and promoted. a good doco I thought. 2 more to go.

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote:

> kingsley wrote: *snip*
> >
> > I just watched this (missed the first 15 minutes). Was it about the Tour, or the reporting of
> > the tour?
>
> Last week SBS was promoting the show as being about the Tours relationship with the media over the
> last 100 years, not so much a history of the Tour.

Kinda hard to separate the two, since the Tour was conceived and owned by the media. But we'll see
how the next 2 episodes go when they hit the golden age with Coppi then Merckx.

GK

"pusher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> it was mainly about the role of the media, advertising and (for a few years) Nazis, in how the
> Tour was run and promoted. a good doco I thought. 2 more to go.

When are these other 2 on? Tonight and Tomorrow or is it a weekly show, so next week...?

cheers hippy

Originally posted by Paul Jones
The tour de france website talks about a book on the first 100 years.

is there an English language version in Australia?

Paul,
If you watched SBS first episode of the 3 part series "100 Years of the TdF" you may have noticed the inevtable book for sale. I think it is the one you are talking about. It is available through Dymocks and I saw a copy not long ago in the Technical Bookshop in Swanston St Melbourne. It is a good looking bookfull of pics and interesting historical pieces.
:D

Paul Jones wrote:

> The tour de france website talks about a book on the first 100 years.

> is there an English language version in Australia?

I saw a book in a local bookstore last weekend that was pretty much that title. It seemed quite
light on information and was $49.95. Roughly square, about A4 width, lots of glossy photos and not a
lot of text. I don't think I'd recommend it unless you like coffee table pictures.

I think it was this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811839060/

There's also "The Official Tour De France : Centennial 1903-2003"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0297843583/ which might be that one you refer to.

Get the ISBN and title and order it from your local bookstore or global mega-chain.

Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

> Just watch SBS starting tomorrow night at 7.30 pm (24/6) as they have a 3 week special on the
> subject. Remember to video and keep for later.

A good doco, and I look forward to the next two, but it's interesting that the narration was by
SBS' own Mike Tomilaris. I've got nothing against Mike (apart from his regular butchering of French
names), but given the potential global audience of this show, it got me wondering whether the
makers of the doco simply produced a voiceover script that could be read by anyone in their local
accent (or even language). The motives might be (a) increasing local appeal (although I'd be just
as happy with a voiceover by Phil Liggett or Paul Sherwin) and (b) to meet government quotas on
local TV content.

Can anyone with inside knowledge of the TV industry say whether this might have been the case?

&roo

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:40:23 +0000, Paul Jones wrote:

> The tour de france website talks about a book on the first 100 years.
>
> is there an English language version in Australia?

I read a book the other day...

by Graheme Fife.

(Sorry I can't remember it 100%, and I'm coming to you this morning via the Newcastle Flyer (train)
so can't readily look it up)

It was $20-something (paperback) from Bicycle NSW book sale which AFAIK is still on.

I really enjoyed this book, it's written in a unique style. The author bicycle tours the various
cols of the mountains using his path as a literary device to discuss various aspects of the Tour,
especially concentrating on Henry Degrange(sp), L'Auto, and prominant riders.

As he goes, not only do you get a short but interesting travelogue(sp?) of the area, and what it's
like around there, he also relates anecdotes about what happened on this bend or that downhill. He
abosultely struggles up some of the gradients, and then relates how the tour *raced* up this slope;
who attacked, who fell; and of course - who suffered greatly. Graheme delivers an insight into what
goes on within the peleton, the heirarchary with the 'domestiques' et. al. serving the team leader
unquestioningly, delivering an understanding of the tactics that otherwise might seem
incomprehensible taken at face value.

However it reads as though Graheme's first love is for the history of the tour. The book travels
roughly chronologically through the years of The Tour, towards the later chapters I found the text
not as enthralling as the earlier history. (Hmmm, maybe it's me - maybe I'm more geared toward the
romanticism of the earlier history?) Anyway, he has a good coverage up to the late 80's drug
scandals, which is very intersting, but then he seems to dither a bit. Don't get me wrong - the
first 2/3 of the book is great. I'm only referring to the latter stages.

He has a chapter concentrating on the British riders, including much detail on Tom Simpson. This
chapter was less-interesting, but methinks if it was a chapter about Australian riders I would have
been enthralled. The story of Simpson was excellent though (if not a tad upsetting).

The last two chapters cover the events of the 2001 & 2002 Tours, and are a bit more of a sports-news
report than in the style of the previous book. I guess it gives you an update of where The Tour is
at the moment.

All up it's a good read.

-kt

This not-very-good book review is Copyright (C) 2003 Kingsley Turner It may not be reproduced for
commercial gain without prior written permission.

Permission is hereby granted to groups.google.com and cyclingforums.com

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> A good doco, and I look forward to the next two, but it's interesting that the narration was by
> SBS' own Mike Tomilaris.
<snip>
> Can anyone with inside knowledge of the TV industry say whether this might have been the case?

I noticed that SBS Australia had co-production credits. I suspect that they've got quite a good
reputation for subtitling and translation, even from an "easy" language such as French. Having
watched various other translations, and from the perspective of knowing nothing of any language
other than English, SBS seem to capture the "feel" of the translations better than any others
I've seen.

A relatively small investment of translation skills and people, and Mike T doing enthusiastic and
vaguely knowledgeable [1] voice-over for the English speaking audience in return for credits and
broadcast rights is a good possibility.

Dave - whose experience of the TV world is minimal

[1] "Vaguely" compared to Phil Liggett anyway - Mike at least rides a bike, even if it is one of
those weirdo skinny wheel road thingies :)

--
Dave Hughes [email protected] "SCSI is *not* magic. There are fundamental technical reasons
why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then."

G wrote: <snip>
> I bet the frogs have done the "Bernard Hinault Story" or some such. That'd be good, maybe they can
> explain how they got Lemond to stop pedallng so Bernard could win...
>
> GK

Yep, and maybe they'd be willing to explain about the Rainbow Warrior while they're at it! :)

&roo