1000 miles in July and now I feel dead tired!

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
I upped my mileage starting in June to include long distance rides a few days of the week... 80, 90, even 100 mile rides. I put in 1000 miles in July, and now, I feel burned out. I did a 68 mile ride today and almost died out there. Does anyone know why this is, and what I can do about it? I don't want to lose the potential adaptations/gains I made, but a 90 miler now just scares me. Ideas for improving recovery?

AmpedCycle said:
I upped my mileage starting in June to include long distance rides a few days of the week... 80, 90, even 100 mile rides. I put in 1000 miles in July, and now, I feel burned out. I did a 68 mile ride today and almost died out there. Does anyone know why this is, and what I can do about it? I don't want to lose the potential adaptations/gains I made, but a 90 miler now just scares me. Ideas for improving recovery?

It sounds like a bit of overtraining. Were you using a HR monitor for the months during and prior? Also, are you more on edge than normal?

If so, then take a break for a couple of days. If you are overtraining, then you will just lose preformance.

AmpedCycle said:
If you're finding yourself being over exhausted on your rides or from any extreme activity. Eat more often during the day and include quality foods. Bring food with you on the ride. Sure, meal bars are ok to use, but trail mix has less sugar, more calores and better fats. Plus, peanuts always taste good.

What were your months totals before July? If you increased your mileage too much you might have over trained... I had my best month ever in july it was 1262 miles, but I had 900 miles in each of the two months before July...

billyboost said:
What were your months totals before July? If you increased your mileage too much you might have over trained... I had my best month ever in july it was 1262 miles, but I had 900 miles in each of the two months before July...
agreed have you ever taken a few weeks off for one reason or another and come back feeling like superman. i was going 5-6 days a week and just got back from vacation (1.5 weeks without a bike) man i felt like a freakin pro this past week. i would take a week off then come back. ride no more than 4 days in a row and make sure you do a recovery ride after your big long rides.

I don't have nearly that many miles, but still have the same feeling. Last week and weekend I really wasn't stoked to get on my bike. I have decided to forget my August goals and take some time off and to not ride again until I really feel amped to do it. I think that will be any day now.

L

Straightguy said:
do you have recovery rides and days off in your schedule?
I usually don't have very serious recovery rides... just some light commuting in town on my mountain bike. I have plenty of days off, too, especially when I feel sore.