100IM in...

"Steph" <[email protected]_CUT> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > Lifeguards do help me. I feel kind of wierd asking them. They are
> > supposed to be there to watch out for people to rescue, at that time,
> > not to watch me do lengths and critique them
> >

> Naturally you do not want to distract someone from their job. Perhaps
> when one guard rotates off the chair they could spend five minutes given
> you some direction... although read more below.

I do get them to assit me after they are not watching people.

> >> pool
> >> distances
> >> in

> >> Again, stop worrying about going fast. Slow down your rotations and
> >> work on form -- glide and pull. You could also use paddles (only low
> >> resistence and slow speed) to help with your form.

> > Anytime I have ever used paddles it screw up my stroke worse.
> >

> This is concerning.
> I am guessing your fundamental stroke (the path your hand and arm take
> in completing a revolution) is severely flawed. Don't be ashamed of it;
> acknowledge, embrace, and correct --- same process independent of the
> sport, Tiger Woods still does it after 20+ victories.

I am not ashamed of it, all I know is paddles screw me up badly.

> >> Note that it is a never-ending process if you wish to improve.
> >> I can swim 4-5 miles without stopping in a pool, all at a regular lap
> >> split of 26 minutes per mile. And I can do the same in calm water
> >> swims, but in open water with REAL rough water I "drown"; I still get
> >> there but it is a little slower and I take on a lot of water. I
> >> spent so much time perfecting my pool swim technique I lost my
> >> ability to lift my head and push through water chop -- so I have my
> >> new goal come spring. Until then I am working to increase my speed
> >> without injuring my shoulder (still at ~15 strokes per length and
> >> breaths every third so ~ 4 breaths).
> >>

> > I know, you can never get to the point that you can never get to the
> > point where you cannot improve.
> >
> > Micheal
> >

> I think working with paddles and dissecting your stroke is where you
> need to go. It sounds like you are fighting against the water, when you
> need to "ride" it.
>
> Basics of front crawl:
> arm comes forward with hand entering water with a nearly fully exteneded
> arm; I find in drills it helps a bit to "slap" the water with my thumb
> and let the hand follow. Be sure you are not "flaring" the hand towards
> the surface after it enters the water, it should rotate down and
> towards your midline (center of chest).
>
> This is the "top" of the S shape pull.

I was reading the TI book I had previously mentioned, it tells me that the S
part is basically pointless. Who is right?

> Now pull down your midline from above your sternum to your navel, then
> away from the body - the middle of the "S". You should FEEL the water
> on your hand and forearm the entire time.
>
> continue the PUSH with your hand going nearly fully extended past your
> waist -- another tip is to brush your thigh with your thumb as your hand
> exits the water; also feel free to let a let splash come off your hand
> while getting the feel for it.
>
> The is the bottom of the "S".
>
> Ideally your glide and timing are adequate that your other hand begins
> it's pull just as the first is reentering the water above your head
> (with a little slap?).
>
> If you ue a pull-buoy to float your lower body you can work on the
> stroke and accentuate the glide (pause) between strokes.
>
> There are so many other details to help you tune this: head position,
> body roll, taking a breath, kick, etc.
>
> Seriously, if it is that important to make progress, pay for a couple of
> sessions of buddy up to someone that knows what they are doing. The help
> you get here is not going to be adequate as we cannot see what needs to
> be corrected (and neither can you, so you wouldn't be able to tell us).

I plan to get that when I have spare money.

> Heck, when is your birthday ask for a couple of lessons.

Middle of the summer, Aug 5.

> Are you near York Univ? I have a triathlete friend that would be happy
> to give some pointers. Speaking of which, you could see if any Water
> Safety Instructor classes are in progress in your area and be a sampe
> student for practice teaching -- they are learning to teach the basics
> and it sounds like it wouldn't hurt you (and might be free).

I live in North Bay, a 4 hr drive due north of Toronto. As far as the safety
instructors, they are the lifeguards.

Thanks for the information.

Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> > Anytime I have ever used paddles it screw up my stroke worse.
>> >

>> This is concerning.
>> I am guessing your fundamental stroke (the path your hand and arm
>> take in completing a revolution) is severely flawed. Don't be ashamed
>> of it; acknowledge, embrace, and correct --- same process independent
>> of the sport, Tiger Woods still does it after 20+ victories.

> I am not ashamed of it, all I know is paddles screw me up badly.

....and what I am saying is that your stroke isa likely to be screwed up
with to start, which is why you have trouble with paddles. I knew
someone that used the wrist and finger attachments for their paddles and
couldn't understand why they were having trouble. I had them use just
the [middle] finger to hold the paddle and low-behold they nearly broke
their finger twisting it backward -- the exit of their hand was that
wrong. Didn't take long for them to learn how to avoid the pain <wink>.

>> I think working with paddles and dissecting your stroke is where you
>> need to go. It sounds like you are fighting against the water, when
>> you need to "ride" it.
>>
>> Basics of front crawl:
>> arm comes forward with hand entering water with a nearly fully
>> exteneded arm; I find in drills it helps a bit to "slap" the water
>> with my thumb and let the hand follow. Be sure you are not "flaring"
>> the hand towards the surface after it enters the water, it should
>> rotate down and towards your midline (center of chest).
>>
>> This is the "top" of the S shape pull.

> I was reading the TI book I had previously mentioned, it tells me that
> the S part is basically pointless. Who is right?

Who's right? Everyone. Noone.
As I said, this is a terrible forum to get instruction. I used the "S"
shape as a visual aid. If you watch my stroke I neither look like a crab
with my arms way out to my sides, nor do I have a letter-perfect S-
shaped stroke, but the premise is what is important. Sometimes,
overstressing a point helps to overcome the pre-existing bad habits and
you end up some place between the two --- which is where you want to be.

>> Now pull down your midline from above your sternum to your navel,
>> then away from the body - the middle of the "S". You should FEEL
>> the water on your hand and forearm the entire time.
>>
>> continue the PUSH with your hand going nearly fully extended past
>> your waist -- another tip is to brush your thigh with your thumb as
>> your hand exits the water; also feel free to let a let splash come
>> off your hand while getting the feel for it.
>>
>> The is the bottom of the "S".
>>
>> Ideally your glide and timing are adequate that your other hand
>> begins it's pull just as the first is reentering the water above your
>> head (with a little slap?).
>>
>> If you ue a pull-buoy to float your lower body you can work on the
>> stroke and accentuate the glide (pause) between strokes.
>>
>> There are so many other details to help you tune this: head position,
>> body roll, taking a breath, kick, etc.
>>
>> Seriously, if it is that important to make progress, pay for a couple
>> of sessions of buddy up to someone that knows what they are doing.
>> The help you get here is not going to be adequate as we cannot see
>> what needs to be corrected (and neither can you, so you wouldn't be
>> able to tell us).

> I plan to get that when I have spare money.

Seems to me the money you saved and are spending to travel and compete
would be better invested in some professional coaching. One single
month's of Master's Swimming would cost less than a tankful of gas and
help give you a foundation.

>> Heck, when is your birthday ask for a couple of lessons.

> Middle of the summer, Aug 5.

...it was a joke.

> I live in North Bay, a 4 hr drive due north of Toronto. As far as the
> safety instructors, they are the lifeguards.
>
> Thanks for the information.

Well you have had a dozen or so people tell you virtually the same thing
here. Heavens know how many elsewhere; it is up to you and your 25 year
old body in excellent shape with an extremely high maximum heart rate to
match your high turnover stroke and slow swimming.

Best of luck to you,

do or do not, there is no try - yoda

> Among the list of problems, including diabeties, high blood preasure,
> heart
> disease, cancer..... and then there are the outside things that I have
> experienced, living in an aspestoes sided house for 13 years... I will be
> lucky if I am alive past 40.
>
> Micheal

Living in an asbestos-sided house is only a problem if the asbestos was
loose in the air. You have to have the little fibers floating around where
you can inhale them. Just having the siding in the house does not bother you
so long as you don't poke at it or flake it off or chip at it, etc. If you
haven't done anything to disturb the asbestos, you're not at risk. Millions
of people have lived in houses made with asbestos. Don't spend a lot of time
worrying about that...it would be better yet to worry about finding how to
turn on your spell checker.

Pat in TX

"Steph" <[email protected]_CUT> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

> >> This is concerning.
> >> I am guessing your fundamental stroke (the path your hand and arm
> >> take in completing a revolution) is severely flawed. Don't be ashamed
> >> of it; acknowledge, embrace, and correct --- same process independent
> >> of the sport, Tiger Woods still does it after 20+ victories.

> > I am not ashamed of it, all I know is paddles screw me up badly.
> >

> ...and what I am saying is that your stroke isa likely to be screwed up
> with to start, which is why you have trouble with paddles. I knew
> someone that used the wrist and finger attachments for their paddles and
> couldn't understand why they were having trouble. I had them use just
> the [middle] finger to hold the paddle and low-behold they nearly broke
> their finger twisting it backward -- the exit of their hand was that
> wrong. Didn't take long for them to learn how to avoid the pain <wink>.

I think I understand. do something that is supposed to correct your stroke
that if done wrong, will hurt, or break bones. If done right, will be
great...

> >> I think working with paddles and dissecting your stroke is where you
> >> need to go. It sounds like you are fighting against the water, when
> >> you need to "ride" it.
> >>
> >> Basics of front crawl:
> >> arm comes forward with hand entering water with a nearly fully
> >> exteneded arm; I find in drills it helps a bit to "slap" the water
> >> with my thumb and let the hand follow. Be sure you are not "flaring"
> >> the hand towards the surface after it enters the water, it should
> >> rotate down and towards your midline (center of chest).
> >>
> >> This is the "top" of the S shape pull.

> > I was reading the TI book I had previously mentioned, it tells me that
> > the S part is basically pointless. Who is right?
> >

> Who's right? Everyone. Noone.
> As I said, this is a terrible forum to get instruction. I used the "S"
> shape as a visual aid. If you watch my stroke I neither look like a crab
> with my arms way out to my sides, nor do I have a letter-perfect S-
> shaped stroke, but the premise is what is important. Sometimes,
> overstressing a point helps to overcome the pre-existing bad habits and
> you end up some place between the two --- which is where you want to be.

Ah, so its one of those.. little from column A and a little from column B?

> >> Now pull down your midline from above your sternum to your navel,
> >> then away from the body - the middle of the "S". You should FEEL
> >> the water on your hand and forearm the entire time.
> >>
> >> continue the PUSH with your hand going nearly fully extended past
> >> your waist -- another tip is to brush your thigh with your thumb as
> >> your hand exits the water; also feel free to let a let splash come
> >> off your hand while getting the feel for it.
> >>
> >> The is the bottom of the "S".
> >>
> >> Ideally your glide and timing are adequate that your other hand
> >> begins it's pull just as the first is reentering the water above your
> >> head (with a little slap?).
> >>
> >> If you ue a pull-buoy to float your lower body you can work on the
> >> stroke and accentuate the glide (pause) between strokes.
> >>
> >> There are so many other details to help you tune this: head position,
> >> body roll, taking a breath, kick, etc.
> >>
> >> Seriously, if it is that important to make progress, pay for a couple
> >> of sessions of buddy up to someone that knows what they are doing.
> >> The help you get here is not going to be adequate as we cannot see
> >> what needs to be corrected (and neither can you, so you wouldn't be
> >> able to tell us).

> > I plan to get that when I have spare money.

> Seems to me the money you saved and are spending to travel and compete
> would be better invested in some professional coaching. One single
> month's of Master's Swimming would cost less than a tankful of gas and
> help give you a foundation.

And I would, but, they practice at 5:30am. I would not be able to do that,
unless I do not want to sleep.

> >> Heck, when is your birthday ask for a couple of lessons.

> > Middle of the summer, Aug 5.
> >

> ..it was a joke.

I thought so, but you did ask.

> > I live in North Bay, a 4 hr drive due north of Toronto. As far as the
> > safety instructors, they are the lifeguards.
> >
> > Thanks for the information.
> >

> Well you have had a dozen or so people tell you virtually the same thing
> here. Heavens know how many elsewhere; it is up to you and your 25 year
> old body in excellent shape with an extremely high maximum heart rate to
> match your high turnover stroke and slow swimming.

I am not in excelent shape, I am in good shape.

Someone telling me what to do with out seeing the result, or even, what I am
doing is almost pointless. It sometimes is helpful, but if there is no way
to find out if it's being done right, it is almost useless.

> Best of luck to you,
>

> do or do not, there is no try - yoda

Thank goodness he is not in this Galaxy

Micheal

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Among the list of problems, including diabeties, high blood preasure,
> > heart
> > disease, cancer..... and then there are the outside things that I have
> > experienced, living in an aspestoes sided house for 13 years... I will

be
> > lucky if I am alive past 40.
> >
> > Micheal

> Living in an asbestos-sided house is only a problem if the asbestos was
> loose in the air. You have to have the little fibers floating around where
> you can inhale them. Just having the siding in the house does not bother

you
> so long as you don't poke at it or flake it off or chip at it, etc.

What about playing with the pieces that broke off? Yes, I did that, and at
the time I did not know any better.

> If you
> haven't done anything to disturb the asbestos, you're not at risk.

Millions
> of people have lived in houses made with asbestos. Don't spend a lot of

time
> worrying about that...it would be better yet to worry about finding how to
> turn on your spell checker.

I dont like using it.... I use it when I am doing something that is very
important that it looks professional.

Micheal

I have a hunch you haven't tried the first 3 weeks, but I'll
put this in anyway.

WEEK four:
600 yards...rest for 10 breaths
300 yards...rest for 8 breaths
100 yards...rest for 6 breaths...repeat 3 times
50 yards...rest for 4 breaths...repeat 3 times
total: 1500 yards

If you had been doing these, you would be 2 weeks away from
swimming a continuous mile, all freestyle.

rtk

(still inhaling after the asbestos roof was finally removed
because it was missing so many tiles)

"Steph" <[email protected]_CUT> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Heavens know how many elsewhere; it is up to you and your 25 year
> old body in excellent shape with an extremely high maximum heart rate to
> match your high turnover stroke and slow swimming.

No.

The maximum heart rated quoted is not extremely high - it is not even above
what most methods would predict.

>> Living in an asbestos-sided house is only a problem if the asbestos was
>> loose in the air. You have to have the little fibers floating around
>> where
>> you can inhale them. Just having the siding in the house does not bother

> you
>> so long as you don't poke at it or flake it off or chip at it, etc.

> What about playing with the pieces that broke off? Yes, I did that, and at
> the time I did not know any better.

Well, still, it has to be such small fibers that you could inhale it. It
doesn't rub into your skin from a hard piece--the fibers have to be floating
around in the air, almost microscopic. You're probably okay.

Pat in TX

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > 2:30mins. I know, it is not good. In fact, it is quite slow.
>> >
>> > It is my fly that is slowing me down.
>> >
>> > I am slow, but my strokes are not. I am doing about 28 strokes per
>> > 25m. That
>> > likely is my problem.
>> >
>> > I am the slow guy who keeps going for no apparent reason.

>> " ... no apparent reason" - the reason would likely be apparent to a
>> swimming teacher. The thing that turned me into a "real" swimmer,
>> such
>> as I am, was a year's worth of 30 minute lessons, once or twice a
>> week,
>> with a former competitive swimmer. I would get some lessons - it
>> doesn't sound like a class would do it - from someone who can both
>> swim
>> and teach swimming well.
>>
>> On your own, I would try stroke reduction drills. If you're taking
>> 28
>> strokes of fly per 25, something clearly needs to change. I would
>> only
>> swim fly with long fins for a while - work all sorts of drills, e.g.,
>> kick only, one-arm only, etc., but stick to long fins and start to
>> find
>> the spots in the stroke cycle where you can glide. I teach fly in
>> kids
>> swimming classes now and don't even let them try it without long fins
>> for the first month or so.

> The stroke count was for free, not fly.

Ah, then definitely some stroke reduction work is in order. I see
you've gotten some good advice about trying paddles. Again, since the
paddles seem to mess you up right now, you really need a swimming
teacher to help you fix what's wrong. I'm no great swimmer and I
average about 16-17 strokes per lap. There are lots of potential
issues, e.g., do you have enough of the right things in your stroke like
forward reach, side-to-side roll, and completion of the stroke. Only a
teacher can look at your and tell. In my humble opinion, the "S" shape
of the stroke or lack thereof among the last things you should worry
about - it might make you a little faster but if you're taking 28
strokes per 25, there are other things that need correcting.

> As far as using fins, i will see if the local pool permits it.

I have never heard of a pool that doesn't allow lap swimmers to use
standard swimteam aids- fins, paddles, buoys, etc. Some pools don't
allow them during family swims, don't allow kids to use them, etc., but
if your pool doesn't allow fins, with all due respect, you need to find
another pool.

>> Also, it sounds like you swim a lot - I'd try cutting back on your
>> pool
>> time and focusing on quality for a while. Not saying lots of hours
>> in
>> the pool is a bad thing, just that it doesn't sound like it's helping
>> you and when you're stuck, it's worth trying a change. Short
>> distances
>> with a focus on form are worth trying, and cutting your total volume
>> in
>> half for a few weeks won't hurt you.
>>
>> Hope that helps some.

> It has given me somethings to think about.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

> Micheal

"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in news:45442lF4ri1rU1
@individual.net:

> Ah, then definitely some stroke reduction work is in order. I see
> you've gotten some good advice about trying paddles. Again, since the
> paddles seem to mess you up right now, you really need a swimming
> teacher to help you fix what's wrong. I'm no great swimmer and I
> average about 16-17 strokes per lap. There are lots of potential
> issues, e.g., do you have enough of the right things in your stroke

like
> forward reach, side-to-side roll, and completion of the stroke. Only

> teacher can look at your and tell. In my humble opinion, the "S"

shape
> of the stroke or lack thereof among the last things you should worry
> about - it might make you a little faster but if you're taking 28
> strokes per 25, there are other things that need correcting.

Then again Micheal could be under 4 ft (121 cm for Canadians) tall,
which means the length of his arm andthe radius of it's arc would be
about 1.8 ft which might make the rate of turnover.... ah heck with with
his stroke sucks. <grin>

Seriously Micheal comments that he cannot swim Master's becuase they
work out at 5am and if I recall he works until midnight. But it is all
about choices. I have recently (and for the first time in my 35 years of
swimming) switched to morning workouts. Not that swimming during my
"lunch" wasn't working, i just wanted something else, like being able
to meet my wife for a lunch on her day off and not miss my workout.

I also discovered that I could get a morning workout in and done and
still get to work before most of my colleagues.

When I was 25 (Micheal's stated age), I was training hard and working
hard. I was up at 4:45am for the first of my two split shifts. Then over
to school by 11am for classes, back to work in the evening and finally
home around 10pm. In between I would swim, bike, run, rollerblade, ski,
etc. It is a little tougher now with two children, but if I were a
little more self-fish I could get more workout time in -- I choose not
too and accept that i won't be able to reduce my per mile split below
25.5 minutes.

> > Ah, then definitely some stroke reduction work is in order. I see
> > you've gotten some good advice about trying paddles. Again, since the
> > paddles seem to mess you up right now, you really need a swimming
> > teacher to help you fix what's wrong. I'm no great swimmer and I
> > average about 16-17 strokes per lap. There are lots of potential
> > issues, e.g., do you have enough of the right things in your stroke

> like
> > forward reach, side-to-side roll, and completion of the stroke. Only

> > teacher can look at your and tell. In my humble opinion, the "S"

> shape
> > of the stroke or lack thereof among the last things you should worry
> > about - it might make you a little faster but if you're taking 28
> > strokes per 25, there are other things that need correcting.
> >

> Then again Micheal could be under 4 ft (121 cm for Canadians) tall,
> which means the length of his arm andthe radius of it's arc would be
> about 1.8 ft which might make the rate of turnover.... ah heck with with
> his stroke sucks. <grin>

I am 5 11. I am not short. I am about 175 cm.

> Seriously Micheal comments that he cannot swim Master's becuase they
> work out at 5am and if I recall he works until midnight. But it is all
> about choices. I have recently (and for the first time in my 35 years of
> swimming) switched to morning workouts. Not that swimming during my
> "lunch" wasn't working, i just wanted something else, like being able
> to meet my wife for a lunch on her day off and not miss my workout.

> I also discovered that I could get a morning workout in and done and
> still get to work before most of my colleagues.
>
> When I was 25 (Micheal's stated age), I was training hard and working
> hard. I was up at 4:45am for the first of my two split shifts. Then over
> to school by 11am for classes, back to work in the evening and finally
> home around 10pm. In between I would swim, bike, run, rollerblade, ski,
> etc. It is a little tougher now with two children, but if I were a
> little more self-fish I could get more workout time in -- I choose not
> too and accept that i won't be able to reduce my per mile split below
> 25.5 minutes.

Would you like a hero cookie?

Currently here is my daily log.
9am ish, wake up
10:30 leave for swimming
11am swim
1pm finish swimming
1:15, catch bus to get to work
2:30 pm work
11pm finish work
12 midnite, home
2am in bed

Repeat

That is 7 hrs of sleep. Sometimes I sleep later, and do less swimming, and
if I am realy tired, I miss that day.

So, you expect me to run on less sleep, and do more? I am not superman. I
crash after lack of sleep.

If my shift changes to work out so I could actually get 6-7 hrs of sleep a
night, I would concider it.

Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:SSeHf.5491$J%[email protected]...

> [...]

>> 25.5 minutes.
>>

> Would you like a hero cookie?
>
> Currently here is my daily log.
> 9am ish, wake up
> 10:30 leave for swimming
> 11am swim
> 1pm finish swimming
> 1:15, catch bus to get to work
> 2:30 pm work
> 11pm finish work
> 12 midnite, home
> 2am in bed
>
> Repeat
>
> That is 7 hrs of sleep. Sometimes I sleep later, and do less swimming,
> and
> if I am realy tired, I miss that day.
>
> So, you expect me to run on less sleep, and do more? I am not
> superman. I
> crash after lack of sleep.
>
> If my shift changes to work out so I could actually get 6-7 hrs of

All your swimming needs is some lessons - can't help with the rest.

-S-

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> Currently here is my daily log.
> 9am ish, wake up
> 10:30 leave for swimming
> 11am swim
> 1pm finish swimming
> 1:15, catch bus to get to work
> 2:30 pm work
> 11pm finish work
> 12 midnite, home
> 2am in bed

There are a number of pools around where live which run adult workout
groups starting around 9-9:30am. The clientele is predominantly,
though not exclusively, women who don't "work outside the home" (or
whatever the current PC term is) who go once they have got their
children off to school, kindergarten, etc. There are also some pools
who run lunch-time squads.

Not all masters groups swim at 5:30-6am, ask around and I'm sure there
would be some organised group you could get to, on at least an
occasional basis.

Liz D