100K Trip

Peter

Guest
Following from Robotiser's post about a 100 mile ride, I'm curious
about my own efforts last weekend.

My ride at the moment is a Trek 3900. Not exciting, but it's
comfortable, and it was/is all I can afford at the moment.

I was aiming to crack 100km, so I rode down to Southport, down the
Trans Pennine Trail (Cheshire Lines & Liverpool Loop Line), through
Liverpool and then back home.

In total, it was just shy of 59 miles (94k ish), in 4h 11m.

I normally do around 30 miles a week, some times more, weather
dependent, however I was really struggling at the end.

I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
mars bar thirty odd miles in. I've since acquired a blag camelbak
(need to get some sterilising oojar for it), and would benefit from
more food.

What's the best food for before hand? During?

Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

cheers

Peter

Peter wrote:

> I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
> mars bar thirty odd miles in.

> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

You know where you went wrong with dehydration.
With food, the mars bar will give you a short term energy boost but
could give you a bit of a bonk afterwards.

Really you need to eat better - more frequently and slow release carbs.

...d

In article <[email protected]>
Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Following from Robotiser's post about a 100 mile ride, I'm curious
> about my own efforts last weekend.
>
> My ride at the moment is a Trek 3900. Not exciting, but it's
> comfortable, and it was/is all I can afford at the moment.
>
> I was aiming to crack 100km, so I rode down to Southport, down the
> Trans Pennine Trail (Cheshire Lines & Liverpool Loop Line), through
> Liverpool and then back home.
>
> In total, it was just shy of 59 miles (94k ish), in 4h 11m.
>
> I normally do around 30 miles a week, some times more, weather
> dependent, however I was really struggling at the end.
>
> I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
> mars bar thirty odd miles in. I've since acquired a blag camelbak
> (need to get some sterilising oojar for it), and would benefit from
> more food.
>
> What's the best food for before hand?

Porridge, wholemeal pasta.

> During?

Bananas, fruit cake, muesli bars. Or pork pies, apparently.

> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

Not enough fluids, obviously, and that Mars bar. Food that's high in
simple sugars causes a rapid rise in blood sugar level (it's said to
have a high glycaemic index) - your body reacts to this by producing
insulin to lower your blood sugar. So you get a sugar high which is
good for a quick energy boost, followed by a sugar low as the insulin
takes effect resulting in a lower blood sugar than you had to start with
- this is definitely bad for prolonged effort. Complex carbs have a
lower GI, which is good for gradual energy release without peaks and
troughs.

> What's the best food for before hand? During?

Hi Peter,

in case it's of use, I asked a similar question here a few yrs back. I saved
the replies and put them here:

http://jimpix.co.uk/junk/food.txt

I find the food thing quite hard to get right. For me personally, if I'm
feeling really tired and I know I've got a 22 mile ride home, then I tend to
eat loads of food during the day, like apples, bananas, biscuits and crisps.
It might help, but then sometimes even if I feel tired, but didn't have
chance to eat at work, then I still get home okay, so that makes me wonder
whether or not the food really does help, or if it's just down to something
else? Who knows, it's probably a combination of things...

Hope you find what works for you.

Jim
--------------
http://jimpix.co.uk/words/cycling.asp
If you have any more suggestions about what's so good about cycling, feel
free to contact me via the site to improve this article...

Rob Morley wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>
> Not enough fluids, obviously, and that Mars bar. Food that's high in
> simple sugars causes a rapid rise in blood sugar level (it's said to
> have a high glycaemic index) - your body reacts to this by producing
> insulin to lower your blood sugar. So you get a sugar high which is
> good for a quick energy boost, followed by a sugar low as the insulin
> takes effect resulting in a lower blood sugar than you had to start with
> - this is definitely bad for prolonged effort. Complex carbs have a
> lower GI, which is good for gradual energy release without peaks and
> troughs.

You'd think, wouldn't you? It's a common misconception, and many
chocolate bars actually have an effective low GI because of all the
fat. Still, not the ideal nutrition!

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Soreen malt loaf yet, excellent long
distance energy!

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following from Robotiser's post about a 100 mile ride, I'm curious
> about my own efforts last weekend.
> I was aiming to crack 100km, so I rode down to Southport, down the
> Trans Pennine Trail (Cheshire Lines & Liverpool Loop Line), through
> Liverpool and then back home.
>
> I normally do around 30 miles a week, some times more, weather
> dependent, however I was really struggling at the end.
>
> I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
> mars bar thirty odd miles in. I've since acquired a blag camelbak
> (need to get some sterilising oojar for it), and would benefit from
> more food.
>
> What's the best food for before hand? During?

Can't beat porridge to start the day. Malt loaf, bananas and jelly babies
are good for refuelling. Eating jelly babies a few at a time during the
ride. I have a refuelling stop every 1.5 - 2 hours. I use a Camelback Mule
for hydration. On a cool day on a flattish 100km ride i might only get
through 1.5 - 2 litres of water. On a hot day and lumpy ride I can get
through 5 - 6 litres of fluids and still have room. As for sterilising your
Camelback. Milton fluid for babies bottle will do the job well.

> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

Not enough fluid and the wrong energy source.

Your time for the distance is very respectable. You ought to sign up for
some 100km Audaxes.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

Others have posted nutrition advice, so I'll just mention the thought that
overall, you finished the ride, so it didn't go wrong, and well done :)

cheers,
clive

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:36:53 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Not enough fluids, obviously, and that Mars bar. Food that's high in
>simple sugars causes a rapid rise in blood sugar level (it's said to
>have a high glycaemic index) - your body reacts to this by producing
>insulin to lower your blood sugar. So you get a sugar high which is
>good for a quick energy boost, followed by a sugar low as the insulin
>takes effect resulting in a lower blood sugar than you had to start with
>- this is definitely bad for prolonged effort. Complex carbs have a
>lower GI, which is good for gradual energy release without peaks and
>troughs.

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to look into that. Other than doing a few
longer rides, I didn't do much in the way of preperation...

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:50:20 -0000, "Jim"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> What's the best food for before hand? During?

>Hi Peter,
>
>in case it's of use, I asked a similar question here a few yrs back. I saved
>the replies and put them here:
>
>http://jimpix.co.uk/junk/food.txt
>
>I find the food thing quite hard to get right. For me personally, if I'm
>feeling really tired and I know I've got a 22 mile ride home, then I tend to
>eat loads of food during the day, like apples, bananas, biscuits and crisps.
>It might help, but then sometimes even if I feel tired, but didn't have
>chance to eat at work, then I still get home okay, so that makes me wonder
>whether or not the food really does help, or if it's just down to something
>else? Who knows, it's probably a combination of things...
>
>Hope you find what works for you.
>
>Jim
>--------------
>http://jimpix.co.uk/words/cycling.asp
>If you have any more suggestions about what's so good about cycling, feel
>free to contact me via the site to improve this article...

Heh. I see StainlessSteelRat gets about (if it's the same one I know,
that is!) :D

The main problem I had was dehydration, and the last couple of miles
being sheer willpower, and the promise of a hot shower when I got
home... More sensible eating is the way forward.

Cheers for the advice

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:50:54 -0000, "vernon" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> What's the best food for before hand? During?

>Can't beat porridge to start the day. Malt loaf, bananas and jelly babies
>are good for refuelling. Eating jelly babies a few at a time during the
>ride. I have a refuelling stop every 1.5 - 2 hours. I use a Camelback Mule
>for hydration. On a cool day on a flattish 100km ride i might only get
>through 1.5 - 2 litres of water. On a hot day and lumpy ride I can get
>through 5 - 6 litres of fluids and still have room. As for sterilising your
>Camelback. Milton fluid for babies bottle will do the job well.

the malt loaf has been hit on a couple of times so far - definitely
have to look into that. Porridge is not something I'm over keen on,
but I'll give it a whirl :)

Once I've got the blagbak cleaned out, then I should be in business. I
know that I was dehydrating, but I didn't do anything about it. Silly.
Cheers for the hint on the milton - that saves me another question!

>> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).
>>

>Not enough fluid and the wrong energy source.
>
>Your time for the distance is very respectable. You ought to sign up for
>some 100km Audaxes.

Thanks :) I normally aim to do an average of over 15mph (which on a
mountain bike isn't too bad), but that ride was more like 13mph.
Still, it was a reasonable distance...

As for the organised rides, I might look into it. I need to be able to
crack the 100k comfortably first though, no?

On 25 Nov 2006 07:34:49 -0800, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>
>> I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
>> mars bar thirty odd miles in.

>> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

>You know where you went wrong with dehydration.

I thought as much :) Normally I do 25-30 mile blats, and normally load
up on water beforehand, then clobber a couple of litres when I get in.
Saves time, and means less stopping.

I have acquired a blag camelbak though, so once I've got that
sterilised, I should be a lot better off!

>With food, the mars bar will give you a short term energy boost but
>could give you a bit of a bonk afterwards.

I think that's probably what happened. the last mile or so is a
relentless climb (not steep, just *long*), and that really took it out
of me.

>Really you need to eat better - more frequently and slow release carbs.
>
>..d

Cheers for the advice!

in message <[email protected]>, Peter
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In total, it was just shy of 59 miles (94k ish), in 4h 11m.
>
> I normally do around 30 miles a week, some times more, weather
> dependent, however I was really struggling at the end.
>
> I know that I didn't drink enough (about a litre of water), and had a
> mars bar thirty odd miles in. I've since acquired a blag camelbak
> (need to get some sterilising oojar for it), and would benefit from
> more food.
>
> What's the best food for before hand? During?

Big pasta meal the night before, plus rice pudding. Porrage in the morning.
Sliced malt-loaf and cereal bars in a back pocket for in flight
refuelling.

> Anyway, I was wondering where I went wrong (if I did).

Fuel and hydration. Sufficient water is /really/ important on longer trips.

;; Drivers in the UK kill more people every single year than
;; Al Qaeda have ever killed worldwide in any single year.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:50:54 -0000, "vernon" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>>Your time for the distance is very respectable. You ought to sign up for
>>some 100km Audaxes.

> Thanks :) I normally aim to do an average of over 15mph (which on a
> mountain bike isn't too bad), but that ride was more like 13mph.
> Still, it was a reasonable distance...
>
> As for the organised rides, I might look into it. I need to be able to
> crack the 100k comfortably first though, no?

I hadn't realised you were on a mountain bike. Slick, high pressure tyres
are worth at least 5% of speed, but they're worth more than that of
effort. Getting rid of the suspension is worth another 1% at least. A road
bike will be a good bit quicker, but more to the point it will be a lot
less work. And a lot less work translates into a lot more miles.

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

>>Your time for the distance is very respectable. You ought to sign up for
>>some 100km Audaxes.

> Thanks :) I normally aim to do an average of over 15mph (which on a
> mountain bike isn't too bad), but that ride was more like 13mph.
> Still, it was a reasonable distance...
>
> As for the organised rides, I might look into it. I need to be able to
> crack the 100k comfortably first though, no?

Many of the 100km rides have a minimum average speed of around 10km/hr and
even at minimum randonneur pace of 15km/hr you should find 100km manageable.
the time allowance for 100km at 15km/hr is 6hr 40min.

You should cope well enough. I hadn't managed 100km before my first Audax.
In the sapce of a month I'd done 2 x 100km 1 x 150km and 1 x 200km rides.

Go for it!

You can do it.

-=V=-

In article <[email protected]>
LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Not enough fluids, obviously, and that Mars bar. Food that's high in
> > simple sugars causes a rapid rise in blood sugar level (it's said to
> > have a high glycaemic index) - your body reacts to this by producing
> > insulin to lower your blood sugar. So you get a sugar high which is
> > good for a quick energy boost, followed by a sugar low as the insulin
> > takes effect resulting in a lower blood sugar than you had to start with
> > - this is definitely bad for prolonged effort. Complex carbs have a
> > lower GI, which is good for gradual energy release without peaks and
> > troughs.

> You'd think, wouldn't you? It's a common misconception, and many
> chocolate bars actually have an effective low GI because of all the
> fat.

I guess you're talking about glycaemic load, which considers the
proportion of carbs as well as their rate of metabolism - something with
a high GI will cause a rapid change in blood sugar level, but if it has
a low GL then that change will be relatively small per amount consumed
because the carbs are a small proportion of the total nutritional
content. Although it's true that the fat content of chocolate bars
provides a sustained energy release and effectively dilutes the effect
of the sucrose/glucose, the simple sugars still provoke a sugar
rush/crash effect. I suppose the same can be said of my favourite,
bananas, which contain lots of fructose, sucrose and glucose, but an
under-ripe banana (these survive the back pocket of a jersey much better
than ripe bananas) has higher levels of starch which has a lower GI than
the simple sugars but is more readily metabolised than fats, thus
mitigating the sugar crash. Plantains have a better sugar/starch ratio
but are not so readily available. Both provide vitamins and minerals
that are lacking in choccy bars, and are very easy on the stomach.

> Still, not the ideal nutrition!
>
> I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Soreen malt loaf yet, excellent long
> distance energy!

Not much different than fruit cake really - both are basically flour,
sugar, fat and raisins.

> I'm also looking into getting a better job so I can afford a road
> bike. Nothing flash though.

s/h bikes offer a good low price option.....

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:00:04 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Peter
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:50:54 -0000, "vernon" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>Your time for the distance is very respectable. You ought to sign up for
>>>some 100km Audaxes.

>> Thanks :) I normally aim to do an average of over 15mph (which on a
>> mountain bike isn't too bad), but that ride was more like 13mph.
>> Still, it was a reasonable distance...
>>
>> As for the organised rides, I might look into it. I need to be able to
>> crack the 100k comfortably first though, no?

>I hadn't realised you were on a mountain bike. Slick, high pressure tyres
>are worth at least 5% of speed, but they're worth more than that of
>effort. Getting rid of the suspension is worth another 1% at least. A road
>bike will be a good bit quicker, but more to the point it will be a lot
>less work. And a lot less work translates into a lot more miles.

Come the spring, I'll probably look at getting some slicks; I'm
keeping the knobblies that came with it for the meantime, as slicks
will be no good on the off road sections I regularly ride :D

Peter wrote:

> What's the best food for before hand? During?

I do best on a nice pasta meal the night before (wine, woman and song
optional), a decent night's kip then a porridge brekkie. I put a small
spoon of honey in mine... sometimes I'll also have a piece of toast. Oh,
and a coffee...

Out on the road I use water and apple juice in my bidons. I carry
bananas for road fuel, fresh are best but they go mushy so try the sun
dried ones (they look like dog doo but are reasonably OK) NB these are
not the very dry poker chip type dried bananas.

I also use cafes a lot, fave cafe meal for me is beans on toast with hot
tea. Dark chocolate is used occasionally to cheer me up when I feel down.

Power Bars are OK too, but the gel things I'm not too sure about. They
certainly give a kick, but it seems short lived and they are not cheap.

Do ibuprofen count as food???

hth,

Tony B

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:46:45 +0000, Tony B
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>Do ibuprofen count as food???

Not for me, it doesn't. The idea of using it on a regular basis seems
dangerous to me.