100K Trip

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
SNIP
> the malt loaf has been hit on a couple of times so far - definitely
> have to look into that. Porridge is not something I'm over keen on,
> but I'll give it a whirl :)

I too am not keep on porridge as it comes. Personally I have a teaspoon of
honey on it too as it makes it nice to the taste (if you like honey) but is
neither bad for you as straight forward sugar or salt.

Whilst out riding I also find that a piece of flapjack (made from porridge)
and mixed dried fruit from Holland & Barratt is good. It tastes good and has
a slow release of carbs.

There are lots of other things too in health shops that are better value for
money than some of the stuff sold in bike shops with fancy names and
wrappers.

Dave

Rob Morley wrote:
> simple sugars still provoke a sugar
> rush/crash effect. I suppose the same can be said of my favourite,
> bananas, which contain lots of fructose, sucrose and glucose

Worth mentioning, perhaps, that (AFAIUI) fructose doesn't trigger an
insulin response.

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

In article <[email protected]>
Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > simple sugars still provoke a sugar
> > rush/crash effect. I suppose the same can be said of my favourite,
> > bananas, which contain lots of fructose, sucrose and glucose

> Worth mentioning, perhaps, that (AFAIUI) fructose doesn't trigger an
> insulin response.

Unless you already have significant blood glucose levels, apparently:

"The insulinotropic action of intravenous fructose was examined in 24
subjects without known metabolic disease. When blood glucose values
before the fructose infusion were at or below normal fasting levels,
fructose elicited only a small plasma insulin response. In contrast, the
insulin response was strikingly augmented when preinfusion blood glucose
and plasma insulin levels were moderately elevated. The insulinotropic
action of fructose appears closely related to the preinfusion blood
glucose level. Fructose has little or no insulinotropic action in the
absence of glucose but potentiates glucose- mediated insulin release."

[ http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/40/4/629 ]

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Rob Morley wrote:
>>> simple sugars still provoke a sugar
>>> rush/crash effect. I suppose the same can be said of my favourite,
>>> bananas, which contain lots of fructose, sucrose and glucose

>> Worth mentioning, perhaps, that (AFAIUI) fructose doesn't trigger an
>> insulin response.
>>

> Unless you already have significant blood glucose levels, apparently:
>
> "The insulinotropic action of intravenous fructose was examined in 24
> subjects without known metabolic disease. When blood glucose values
> before the fructose infusion were at or below normal fasting levels,
> fructose elicited only a small plasma insulin response. In contrast, the
> insulin response was strikingly augmented when preinfusion blood glucose
> and plasma insulin levels were moderately elevated. The insulinotropic
> action of fructose appears closely related to the preinfusion blood
> glucose level. Fructose has little or no insulinotropic action in the
> absence of glucose but potentiates glucose- mediated insulin release."
>
> [ http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/40/4/629 ]

en anglais s'il vous plait
:))

Dan Gregory wrote on 27/11/2006 17:19 +0100:

>> Unless you already have significant blood glucose levels, apparently:
>>
>> "The insulinotropic action of intravenous fructose was examined in 24
>> subjects without known metabolic disease. When blood glucose values
>> before the fructose infusion were at or below normal fasting levels,
>> fructose elicited only a small plasma insulin response. In contrast,
>> the insulin response was strikingly augmented when preinfusion blood
>> glucose and plasma insulin levels were moderately elevated. The
>> insulinotropic action of fructose appears closely related to the
>> preinfusion blood glucose level. Fructose has little or no
>> insulinotropic action in the absence of glucose but potentiates
>> glucose- mediated insulin release."
>>
>> [ http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/40/4/629 ]

> en anglais s'il vous plait
> :))

Twenty four people shot up with fruit juice. If they did it when they
were hungry nothing happened but if they did it after eating a few
spoonfuls of sugar they had a bad trip.

Ca va?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:
> Dan Gregory wrote on 27/11/2006 17:19 +0100:
>
>>> Unless you already have significant blood glucose levels, apparently:
>>>
>>> "The insulinotropic action of intravenous fructose was examined in 24
>>> subjects without known metabolic disease. When blood glucose values
>>> before the fructose infusion were at or below normal fasting levels,
>>> fructose elicited only a small plasma insulin response. In contrast,
>>> the insulin response was strikingly augmented when preinfusion blood
>>> glucose and plasma insulin levels were moderately elevated. The
>>> insulinotropic action of fructose appears closely related to the
>>> preinfusion blood glucose level. Fructose has little or no
>>> insulinotropic action in the absence of glucose but potentiates
>>> glucose- mediated insulin release."
>>>
>>> [ http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/40/4/629 ]

>> en anglais s'il vous plait
>> :))

> Twenty four people shot up with fruit juice. If they did it when they
> were hungry nothing happened but if they did it after eating a few
> spoonfuls of sugar they had a bad trip.
>
> Ca va?

Thanks
:))