102mm cranks on a 29er...good idea?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Rubix, Jun 25, 2008.

  1. Rubix

    Rubix Guest

    OK, I had 127mm cranks on my 29er. The left one went kaput, so I decided
    to go a size smaller. I ordered some 102mm cranks. Looking at them side
    by side, there doesn't seem to be much of a size difference. I mean,
    how much can 1 inch throw it off? Well, come to find out, ALOT!!!

    I got them put on thru the LBS. Got home, aired up the tire, and tried
    unsuccessfully 4 times to do a static mount. Normally, on my old
    cranks, I'd nail it each time. Not so much with these. First thing I
    noticed, leverage. Or should I say, the lack there of. When I would get
    up and in the neutral position to start going, there wasn't much to get
    me going, takes a little more umphf to get going. I rode down the
    street and back, and it felt a little wobbly, but fast. I came in for a
    stop, tried my usual maneuver, but the uni wanted to keep moving
    forward. I hop off, and the uni keeps going for about 15 ft. Hmmm,
    seems like all I've learned with my 127s is now out the door. I'm not
    sure if or when I will tackle a hill or two with this thing, how it
    will perform.

    Now, was it worth it for me to move down a size to 102? Or should I
    have kept it at 127? I know it will take me a bit to relearn mounting
    and stopping with the 102, I just wanted to progress to the next step.

    --
    Rubix

    UniDudeDX wrote:
    > I think some mob member is gonna hear bout this and come and kick you so
    > hard youl cough up your scrotum sack.

  2. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    Rubix wrote:
    > OK, I had 127mm cranks on my 29er. The left one went kaput, so I decided
    > to go a size smaller. I ordered some 102mm cranks. Looking at them side
    > by side, there doesn't seem to be much of a size difference. I mean,
    > how much can 1 inch throw it off? Well, come to find out, ALOT!!!
    >
    > I got them put on thru the LBS. Got home, aired up the tire, and tried
    > unsuccessfully 4 times to do a static mount. Normally, on my old
    > cranks, I'd nail it each time. Not so much with these. First thing I
    > noticed, leverage. Or should I say, the lack there of. When I would get
    > up and in the neutral position to start going, there wasn't much to get
    > me going, takes a little more umphf to get going. I rode down the
    > street and back, and it felt a little wobbly, but fast. I came in for a
    > stop, tried my usual maneuver, but the uni wanted to keep moving
    > forward. I hop off, and the uni keeps going for about 15 ft. Hmmm,
    > seems like all I've learned with my 127s is now out the door. I'm not
    > sure if or when I will tackle a hill or two with this thing, how it
    > will perform.
    >
    > Now, was it worth it for me to move down a size to 102? Or should I
    > have kept it at 127? I know it will take me a bit to relearn mounting
    > and stopping with the 102, I just wanted to progress to the next step.

    Just take some time to get used to it. It's much faster than 127's and
    150's. I rode Uninam on it (www.uninam.net). It climbs pretty well.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
    www.sinzuni.org

    The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
    details.

  3. madc-ccc

    madc-ccc Guest

    Hi Rubix,

    It certainly all depends upon the type of ground you usually ride
    (roads or off-roads), as well as the elevation delta in your region.

    I actually use my 29er off-road mainly, and am very happy with the
    dual-hole Moment cranks 125/150 - however the area here is made of
    hills and mountains! So I would not go below 125mm myself.

    Now, I tried some 100mm cranks this week-end on my 29er, just to
    validate that the Qu-ax cranks were indeed compatible with the Moment
    hub from KH (anticipating my order of the new KH36 this Summer!).

    Well, even though I am very used with 102mm cranks on my 36er (being my
    daily commuting friend) - I for sure felt pretty strange on my 29er with
    100mm cranks.

    But as GizmoDuck said, that's, before anything else, largely a matter
    of getting used to it and practicing. And then, a matter of
    adequateness with the ground you usually ride (i.e. you may eventually
    master the 102mm cranks, and yet want to stick to 127mm ones).

    Which cranks did you choose, BTW? Are you ISIS or square-tapered (I
    mean... not yourself... your 29er ;) )?

    Cheers, MadC.

    --
    madc-ccc