102mm cranks on a 29er...good idea?

Rubix

Guest
OK, I had 127mm cranks on my 29er. The left one went kaput, so I decided
to go a size smaller. I ordered some 102mm cranks. Looking at them side
by side, there doesn't seem to be much of a size difference. I mean,
how much can 1 inch throw it off? Well, come to find out, ALOT!!!

I got them put on thru the LBS. Got home, aired up the tire, and tried
unsuccessfully 4 times to do a static mount. Normally, on my old
cranks, I'd nail it each time. Not so much with these. First thing I
noticed, leverage. Or should I say, the lack there of. When I would get
up and in the neutral position to start going, there wasn't much to get
me going, takes a little more umphf to get going. I rode down the
street and back, and it felt a little wobbly, but fast. I came in for a
stop, tried my usual maneuver, but the uni wanted to keep moving
forward. I hop off, and the uni keeps going for about 15 ft. Hmmm,
seems like all I've learned with my 127s is now out the door. I'm not
sure if or when I will tackle a hill or two with this thing, how it
will perform.

Now, was it worth it for me to move down a size to 102? Or should I
have kept it at 127? I know it will take me a bit to relearn mounting
and stopping with the 102, I just wanted to progress to the next step.

--
Rubix

Rubix wrote:
> OK, I had 127mm cranks on my 29er. The left one went kaput, so I decided
> to go a size smaller. I ordered some 102mm cranks. Looking at them side
> by side, there doesn't seem to be much of a size difference. I mean,
> how much can 1 inch throw it off? Well, come to find out, ALOT!!!
>
> I got them put on thru the LBS. Got home, aired up the tire, and tried
> unsuccessfully 4 times to do a static mount. Normally, on my old
> cranks, I'd nail it each time. Not so much with these. First thing I
> noticed, leverage. Or should I say, the lack there of. When I would get
> up and in the neutral position to start going, there wasn't much to get
> me going, takes a little more umphf to get going. I rode down the
> street and back, and it felt a little wobbly, but fast. I came in for a
> stop, tried my usual maneuver, but the uni wanted to keep moving
> forward. I hop off, and the uni keeps going for about 15 ft. Hmmm,
> seems like all I've learned with my 127s is now out the door. I'm not
> sure if or when I will tackle a hill or two with this thing, how it
> will perform.
>
> Now, was it worth it for me to move down a size to 102? Or should I
> have kept it at 127? I know it will take me a bit to relearn mounting
> and stopping with the 102, I just wanted to progress to the next step.

Just take some time to get used to it. It's much faster than 127's and
150's. I rode Uninam on it (www.uninam.net). It climbs pretty well.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.

Hi Rubix,

It certainly all depends upon the type of ground you usually ride
(roads or off-roads), as well as the elevation delta in your region.

I actually use my 29er off-road mainly, and am very happy with the
dual-hole Moment cranks 125/150 - however the area here is made of
hills and mountains! So I would not go below 125mm myself.

Now, I tried some 100mm cranks this week-end on my 29er, just to
validate that the Qu-ax cranks were indeed compatible with the Moment
hub from KH (anticipating my order of the new KH36 this Summer!).

Well, even though I am very used with 102mm cranks on my 36er (being my
daily commuting friend) - I for sure felt pretty strange on my 29er with
100mm cranks.

But as GizmoDuck said, that's, before anything else, largely a matter
of getting used to it and practicing. And then, a matter of
adequateness with the ground you usually ride (i.e. you may eventually
master the 102mm cranks, and yet want to stick to 127mm ones).

Which cranks did you choose, BTW? Are you ISIS or square-tapered (I
mean... not yourself... your 29er ;) )?

Cheers, MadC.

--
madc-ccc