105 FD question

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
I want to fit a 105 FD on my bike. I currently have a 105 RD (9 speed) and Tiagra FD. I suppose the 105 FD won't be a huge improvement, but I wanna get the bike up to 105 minimum spec.

Problem is, I often see a 105 FD on ebay with my clamp size, but listed as a 10 speed. Will it work fine with my 105 9 speed RD?

fauxpas said:
I want to fit a 105 FD on my bike. I currently have a 105 RD (9 speed) and Tiagra FD. I suppose the 105 FD won't be a huge improvement, but I wanna get the bike up to 105 minimum spec.

Problem is, I often see a 105 FD on ebay with my clamp size, but listed as a 10 speed. Will it work fine with my 105 9 speed RD?
Not entirely sure, but I suspect that you may be able to get it to work after a lot of fiddling. IIRC, the cage on the 10 speed FDs are slightly narrower than the 9s ones, although I can't be certain. If so, I hardly think it would be worth it for sub-optimal shifting performance.

I do have a used Dura-Ace 9s FD that I'm looking to get rid of for a fair price - PM me if you're interested (or anybody else for that matter). Not quite what you're after, I know, but if you're interested...

HTH,

n

fauxpas said:

9sp. front derailleurs are listed an 9/10sp compatible. 10sp ders say only 10.
I haven't measured them but I assume the 10sp cage is slightly narrower than the 9sp. The 10sp will most likely shift fine on a 9sp rig with a little trimming.

You should though, be able to find a nice used 9sp on ebay. Now I am going to the garage to do some measuring.

The official stand (read: Shimano) on 10spd Fr Derailleurs is that the cages are narrower, resulting in sub-par shifting on 9spd drivetrains. Although I would suspect that a little fiddling might get it to work but I would suspect chain rub may become an issue.

Xsmoker said:
9sp. front derailleurs are listed an 9/10sp compatible. 10sp ders say only 10.
I haven't measured them but I assume the 10sp cage is slightly narrower than the 9sp. The 10sp will most likely shift fine on a 9sp rig with a little trimming.

You should though, be able to find a nice used 9sp on ebay. Now I am going to the garage to do some measuring.

OK. I'm back. The measurements for NIB Ultegra 6500.

Front of cage-10mm

Rest of cage-anywhere from 12.8mm to 13.3mm

Now lets here from someone with a 10sp.

fauxpas said:

This would NOT be a good idea, IMO ... particularly, for anyone (in general) who has a triple crank BECAUSE the distance between the inner & outer cage plates is narrower (as noted) -- even though you might be able to make it work with a double, you will be unhappy about the inevitable chain rub UNLESS you opt for a more expensive AND more fragile 10-speed chain.

OK, thanks for that info guys, saved me a few bob and plenty of headaches...