105 lever problem

Steve Juniper

------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3170C.766542E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot) doesn't
shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
it back the other way = and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and
= is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop = couldn't find
anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). = Said maybe worn and unit would need
replacing.=20 Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine = almost all of
the time (of course, seems to pick awkward times to block = my downshift!). If so is where would
be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get some sense
of = options... --=20 Steve Juniper ([email protected]) Berkeley, California

"Those who are willing to sacrifice a little freedom for greater = security deserve neither."
=
-- Benjamin Franklin

------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3170C.766542E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles = in=20 hilly terrain,
shifting a lot) doesn't shift from big to middle = chainring. I=20 feel a smaller than usual
click but that's all. I push it back the other = way and=20 try several more times, then
jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and is = OK for=20 quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on
bike. Local bike shop couldn't = find=20 anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for
them). Said maybe worn = and unit=20 would need replacing. </DIV>
<DV> Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I = mean, it=20 works fine
almost all of the time (of course, seems to pick awkward = times to=20 block my downshift!).
If so is where would be a good place to buy a = single lever=20 set? It's at the shop now and
I'd like to get some sense of = options...<BR>--=20 <BR>Steve Juniper (<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>)<BR>Berkele= y,=20
California</DIV>
<DVI> </DIV>
<DVII> "Those who are willing to sacrifice a = little=20 freedom for greater
security deserve=20 neither."<BR> =
&=
nbsp; &n=
bsp; &nb=
sp; &nbs=
p; &nbsp=
; =20 -- Benjamin Franklin<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Steve Juniper wrote:
> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, shifting a lot) doesn't
> shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
> it back the other way and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and
> is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop couldn't find anything
> wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). Said maybe worn and unit would need replacing.
> Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine almost all of the time (of
> course, seems to pick awkward times to block my downshift!). If so is where would be a good
> place to buy a single lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get some sense of
> options...

Have you checked that the cable is running thru the casing and under the bottom bracket nice
and smoothly?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Before ditching the lever, try the wonderfully-magical PowerLube = (available at finer auto-parts
stores everywhere!) fix. Flush the lever = with the stuff (aim it down where the cable end comes
out of the lever = when you replace the cable), work the lever a bit, and see if it might = come
back to life. Many levers have been saved that way, and the "fix" = is often times good for a very
long time.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com "Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote
in message = news:Hqfva.803521$L1.229182@sccrnsc02... My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Before ditching the lever, try the=20 wonderfully-magical
PowerLube (available at finer auto-parts stores=20 everywhere!) fix. Flush the
lever with the stuff (aim it down = where=20 the cable end comes out of the lever when you
replace the cable), work = the lever=20 a bit, and see if it might come back to life.
Many levers have = been saved=20 that way, and the "fix" is often times good for a very long
= time.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--Mike--</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chain Reaction Bicycles</FONT></DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.ChainReaction.com">www.ChainReaction.com</A></FONT></D=

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
<DIX>"Steve Juniper" <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>
= wrote in=20 message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:Hqfva.803521$L1.229182@sccrnsc02">news:Hqfva.803521$L1.22918= 2@sccrnsc02</A>...</DIV>
<DX> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 = miles in=20 hilly terrain,
shifting a lot) doesn't shift from big to middle = chainring. I=20 feel a smaller than
usual click but that's all. I push it back the = other way=20 and try several more times,
then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts = and is OK=20 for quite a while. Got about 4000
miles on bike. Local bike shop = couldn't find=20 anything wrong (of course, worked
flawlessly for them). Said maybe = worn and=20 unit would need replacing. </DIV>
<DXI> Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I = mean,=20 it works fine
almost all of the time (of course, seems to pick awkward = times=20 to block my
downshift!). If so is where would be a good place to buy a = single=20 lever set? It's at
the shop now and I'd like to get some sense of=20 options...<BR>-- <BR>Steve Juniper (<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>)<BR>Berkele= y,=20 California</DIV>
<DXII> </DIV>
<DXIII> "Those who are willing to sacrifice a = little=20 freedom for
greater security deserve=20
=
neither."<BR> =
&=
nbsp; &n=
bsp; &nb=
sp; &nbs=
p; &nbsp= ; =20 --
Benjamin Franklin<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0--

Steve-<< My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot)
doesn't shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I
push it back the other way = and try several more times, then jiggle the cable

<< Is it true that these things can't be fixed?

Correct, Almost impossible to take apart and reconstruct but no small parts available anyway
from shimano.

<< If so is where would be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd
like to get some sense of = options...

May try flushing with 'STI repair kit', WD-40, but Quality Bike Parts, a distributor, sells single
STI levers.

> > it shifts and is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike.
How long you have the bicycle, By all means flush the units with either of the fluids mention
previous replies, WD40 or Powerlube. Shimano warranty this unit for two years, however, my unit was
replaced and it was more than four years old. Contact Shimano via their webpage or at this phone
number 949 951 5003 X 2900. I have taken the right level apart and drilled a hole so as to get more
tension from the old spring. http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm since the parts or the
aren't available from Shimano.

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Steve Juniper wrote:
> > My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, shifting a lot) doesn't
> > shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
> > it back the other way and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts
> > and is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop couldn't find
> > anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). Said maybe worn and unit would need
> > replacing. Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine almost all of
> > the time (of course, seems to pick awkward times to block my downshift!). If so is where
> > would be a good place to buy a single lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get
> > some sense of options...
>
> Have you checked that the cable is running thru the casing and under the bottom bracket nice and
> smoothly?
>
> --
> Andy Morris
>
> AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
>

> Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

Steve Juniper <[email protected]> wrote:
> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot) doesn't
> shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
> it back the other way =

> If so is where would be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd
> like to get some sense of = options...

The right side tends to fail more often, and most folks buy a pair since the price isn't much
different. So there should be lots of left side levers around. Try eBay.

Art Harris

These levers are really poor. They last for 6 months then rattle themselves to death.

Be careful of lubing, these units are held together with screws that are coated in a thread lock.
After I lubed my right unit, the screw holding the two levers together came loose every 5 miles and
it wouldn't shift. Eventually it dropped out all together and now it rattles like crazy.

I heard that the Ultegra levers suffer the same problem. This is one reason why Shimano have changed
their 105 design for 2003.