105 triple front derailleur with a 46 tooth chainring?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dolan Halbrook, May 12, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a 110/74 crankset (like Sugino XD) on my
    wife's bike for loaded touring. The standard rings for that crankset are 46/36/26 I believe. Her
    bike came with a road triple but for the price of changing the rings I can pick up the whole
    crankset, and I think will get better shifting and lower gearing (plus the potential of going
    much lower if need be).

    How well will a 105 road front der. shift a 46 tooth big ring? I use an ultegra triple front and a
    48t Sugino supershift ring and it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if 48t is the bottom limit
    for a road triple cage (curve-wise). FWIW, she has 105 STI and I have Ultegra STI.

    Thanks, Dolan

    Tags:

  2. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    "Dolan Halbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a 110/74 crankset (like Sugino XD) on my wife's
    > bike for loaded touring. The standard rings for that crankset are 46/36/26 I believe. Her bike
    > came with a road triple but for the price of changing the rings I can pick up the whole crankset,
    > and I think will get better shifting and lower gearing (plus the potential of going much lower if
    > need be).
    >
    > How well will a 105 road front der. shift a 46 tooth big ring? I use an ultegra triple front and a
    > 48t Sugino supershift ring and it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if 48t is the bottom limit
    > for a road triple cage (curve-wise). FWIW, she has 105 STI and I have Ultegra STI.
    >
    > Thanks, Dolan

    .................I set up a RSX 46/36/26 with a 9 speed 105 triple FD and RSX triple front shifter
    and it worked fine.

  3. If it is a braze-on mount you might have problems. I am using a 50-tooth big cog with a braze on FD
    on a trek frame and the shifting is at the limits of adjustability height-wise (Ritchey/Sugino
    110/74 crank). Rob