105 triple front derailleur with a 46 tooth chainring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dolan Halbrook

Hi all,

I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a 110/74 crankset (like Sugino XD) on my
wife's bike for loaded touring. The standard rings for that crankset are 46/36/26 I believe. Her
bike came with a road triple but for the price of changing the rings I can pick up the whole
crankset, and I think will get better shifting and lower gearing (plus the potential of going
much lower if need be).

How well will a 105 road front der. shift a 46 tooth big ring? I use an ultegra triple front and a
48t Sugino supershift ring and it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if 48t is the bottom limit
for a road triple cage (curve-wise). FWIW, she has 105 STI and I have Ultegra STI.

Thanks, Dolan

"Dolan Halbrook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1052776497.957664@sj-nntpcache-5>...
> Hi all,
>
> I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a 110/74 crankset (like Sugino XD) on my wife's
> bike for loaded touring. The standard rings for that crankset are 46/36/26 I believe. Her bike
> came with a road triple but for the price of changing the rings I can pick up the whole crankset,
> and I think will get better shifting and lower gearing (plus the potential of going much lower if
> need be).
>
> How well will a 105 road front der. shift a 46 tooth big ring? I use an ultegra triple front and a
> 48t Sugino supershift ring and it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if 48t is the bottom limit
> for a road triple cage (curve-wise). FWIW, she has 105 STI and I have Ultegra STI.
>
> Thanks, Dolan

.................I set up a RSX 46/36/26 with a 9 speed 105 triple FD and RSX triple front shifter
and it worked fine.

If it is a braze-on mount you might have problems. I am using a 50-tooth big cog with a braze on FD
on a trek frame and the shifting is at the limits of adjustability height-wise (Ritchey/Sugino
110/74 crank). Rob

Dolan Halbrook wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've been wondering about the feasibility of using a 110/74 crankset (like Sugino XD) on my wife's
> bike for loaded touring. The standard rings for that crankset are 46/36/26 I believe. Her bike
> came with a road triple but for the price of changing the rings I can pick up the whole crankset,
> and I think will get better shifting and lower gearing (plus the potential of going much lower if
> need be).
>
> How well will a 105 road front der. shift a 46 tooth big ring? I use an ultegra triple front and a
> 48t Sugino supershift ring and it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if 48t is the bottom limit
> for a road triple cage (curve-wise). FWIW, she has 105 STI and I have Ultegra STI.
>
> Thanks, Dolan

Status
Not open for further replies.