105 upgrade costs

bicycle_disciple

Guest
Hello RBT.

Can a couple of tech people help point out an approximate cost figure
for a full drivetrain componentry upgrade, in my case, from Shimano
Sora (sketchy and dull) to 105 (a true serious level race breed) for my
old Specialized Allez Triple lying in the garage. Those who have
upgraded fully to 105 before can relate with my situation and advise me
best. I don't know if price varies among combinations, but what I would
mainly prefer is a triple chainring, and a 12-23 rear freewheel. Also,
anything to watch out for, to get the best 105 experience? ;) I
couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?

Thanks.

-B.D

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> Hello RBT.
>
> Can a couple of tech people help point out an approximate cost figure
> for a full drivetrain componentry upgrade, in my case, from Shimano
> Sora (sketchy and dull) to 105 (a true serious level race breed) for
> my old Specialized Allez Triple lying in the garage. Those who have
> upgraded fully to 105 before can relate with my situation and advise
> me best. I don't know if price varies among combinations, but what I
> would mainly prefer is a triple chainring, and a 12-23 rear
> freewheel. Also, anything to watch out for, to get the best 105
> experience? ;) I couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?

How many speeds is your "old" Allez? Of course you can combine (mix &
match) Sora & 105, as long as the drivetrains are compatible.

For not much more than buying a complete 105 group, you could probably find
a complete 105-level bike that would also provide you with new wheels, bar,
post, stem, etc.

Visit an LBS or six and keep your plastic handy! <eg>

bicycle_disciple wrote:

> couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?

Why not? If you've got decent 8 spd shifters, just shop the online
sales and get a long cage 105 rear mech, new cassette and chain.
Shouldn't set you back more than $100 if you look around.

Bill. My Allez is 8 spd. I'm think I know the things I might need to
buy, but I am not confident of putting my money online. To make things
easier, could you list the components I would need. Thanks guys.

landotter wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>
> > couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?

> Why not? If you've got decent 8 spd shifters, just shop the online
> sales and get a long cage 105 rear mech, new cassette and chain.
> Shouldn't set you back more than $100 if you look around.

Thanks for the reply, landotter.

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> Bill. My Allez is 8 spd. I'm think I know the things I might need to
> buy, but I am not confident of putting my money online. To make things
> easier, could you list the components I would need. Thanks guys.

For 9-speed:
1. Cassette
2. Shifter (only the right one is needed)
3. Chain (I've found this to be kinda optional, but you're getting a new
cassette so I would do it anyways)

Add the following for 10-speed:
4. Crankset (possibly, but not likely required)

Add the following for good shifting:
5. Cable/housing for the rear loop. Specialized leaves tiny, tiny final
runs of housing just before the rear derailleur, and adding 2-3 inches can
help prolong the life of the cable and housing.

--
Phil Lee, Squid

Thanks Phil. Excellent post. -B.D

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> Hello RBT.
>
> Can a couple of tech people help point out an approximate cost figure
> for a full drivetrain componentry upgrade, in my case, from Shimano
> Sora (sketchy and dull) to 105 (a true serious level race breed) for my
> old Specialized Allez Triple lying in the garage. Those who have
> upgraded fully to 105 before can relate with my situation and advise me
> best. I don't know if price varies among combinations, but what I would
> mainly prefer is a triple chainring, and a 12-23 rear freewheel. Also,
> anything to watch out for, to get the best 105 experience? ;) I
> couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -B.D

Your current Sora triple derailleurs and crankset will work fine with
new 10 speed 105. As already mentioned, new right 10 speed 105
shifter, new 10 speed chain, new 10 speed cassette. Figure $25 for
chain, $60 for cassette, ????? for right shifter or both shifters.
Probably best to change the left shifter too since Sora uses a
different shifting motion than 105. Might be odd trying to mix and
match the shifting methods on the same bike. Might also be no
difference in price buying a pair of 105 shifters on sale compared to
ordering just the right shifter through a bike shop.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> > Hello RBT.
> >
> > Can a couple of tech people help point out an approximate cost figure
> > for a full drivetrain componentry upgrade, in my case, from Shimano
> > Sora (sketchy and dull) to 105 (a true serious level race breed) for
> > my old Specialized Allez Triple lying in the garage. Those who have
> > upgraded fully to 105 before can relate with my situation and advise
> > me best. I don't know if price varies among combinations, but what I
> > would mainly prefer is a triple chainring, and a 12-23 rear
> > freewheel. Also, anything to watch out for, to get the best 105
> > experience? ;) I couldn't possibly combine Sora and 105, could I?

> How many speeds is your "old" Allez? Of course you can combine (mix &
> match) Sora & 105, as long as the drivetrains are compatible.
>
> For not much more than buying a complete 105 group, you could probably find
> a complete 105-level bike that would also provide you with new wheels, bar,
> post, stem, etc.
>
> Visit an LBS or six and keep your plastic handy! <eg>

Boy, that speaks volumes about today's bike biz...framesets are
disposable, groups are most important...sorry, that's all backwards.

If you like the frame, it fits well, you like to ride it but ya want
'10s' for some reason...all you need are shifters, cogset and chain, as
long as the ders aren't worn out...Keep the crank, FD, RD, all will
work fine and dandy with 105 10s STI levers. Change the crank if you
are looking for a gearing change not possible on the present crank, no
other reason to 'upgrade'.