105 vs. Rival

i tjink both are equal but different .... shimano ratio is 2:1 and sram is 1:1 .... so some one tell you that sram is easy to adjust (10 speeds) vs shimano ... i drive both and both shift well when they are properly adjust .... i like the shimano shifter better the the sram .... but just a personal issue .... my 2 cents ... :(

I have the current vintage of 105 on my bike, and it works well. The rear shifting is very smooth and crisp, both up and down. I would say it is a bit less crisp in shifting from the small to the large chain ring, but this is also going up 16 teeth (I have a compact double). I also like the fact that you can trim the front derailleur

I don't have much experience with Rival, other than a couple of test rides. But certainly Rival has attracted a lot of fans in a short time, and it is noticeably lighter than 105, especially the brifters and brakes. (weight-wise, Rival is actually pretty close to Ultegra).

A new version of 105 is supposed to come out this summer. My guess is that it will up the ante a fair amount - one thing that I think is fairly certain is that the derailleur cables will no longer come out of "the sides" of the brifters, but will be hidden (as is the case with SRAM and Campy, and is also the case with the latest Dura-Ace and Ultegra). Probably the weight will drop a bit as well.

I don't think the new cable routing is a performance advantage - but it looks a little neater.

hskip11 said:
Which one is better, Sram Rival of Shimano 105?

What's an orange taste like? Ride each, see which lever feels best in your hands. BUT I think 105 is more duable, BB, rear der pully, chainring, cogset wise.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Which one is better, Ferrari or Lamborgini .... honda or toyota .... pepsi or coke .... this is most a question of personal choise, both are great groupo ... but different in the way it works .... for me i prefer shimano for road and sram for mountain ... my 2 cents[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by stdu007 .

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Which one is better, Ferrari or Lamborgini .... honda or toyota .... pepsi or coke .... this is most a question of personal choise, both are great groupo ... but different in the way it works .... for me i prefer shimano for road and sram for mountain ... my 2 cents[/COLOR]
Ferrari is faster but Lamborgini have "cheaper" parts; Honda's are faster, but Toyota's last longer; Pepsi is sweeter, but Coke taste better...that's just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Ferrari is faster but Lamborgini have "cheaper" parts; Honda's are faster, but Toyota's last longer; Pepsi is sweeter, but Coke taste better...that's just my 2 cents.
just your opinion ...

Originally Posted by Froze .

Hondas will outlast Toyotas and won't make you crash because the gas pedal got stuck/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Solanog .

Hondas will outlast Toyotas and won't make you crash because the gas pedal got stuck/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
Yeah, but Shimano won't cause you to drop your chain and lose the Tour de France. Yuk, yuk.

As I always say if you have other Shimano bike the parts are interchangeable so keep to shimano, if you have sram on your other bikes and the part are interchangeable then keep to sram.. (and the same with Campa..)

If you are new to the game then see what is most easily available where you live and ride.. When you need repairs and parts it is alway in a hurry...

But if you want to be religious....

Campa for the sophisticated old school types.
Sram for the modern, cutting edge types.
Shimano for the rest i.e. for the average type..