105 vs Ultegra Hubs

Keith Rhoades

Guest
How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs compare to ultegra hubs

Thank you Keith Rhoades

"Keith Rhoades" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs
compare to ultegra hubs

> Thank you Keith Rhoades

"Quality" is defined as the ability of the item to meet specification on delivery. I suspect there's
no difference in outgoing/incoming quality levels between Ultegra and 105. You'd have to determine
the number of new hubs that do not meet specification in a large sample size to be able to
definitively answer the question.

If you meant "reliablity", i.e. performance over time - I doubt whether there's any difference there
either........

"Keith Rhoades" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs compare to ultegra
hubs

> Thank you Keith Rhoades

Gurus used to tell me there is a a distinct difference in quality/durability from 105 to Ultegra,
but very little from Ultegra to Dura Ace. Having ridden all three, I didn't notice it though, but I
had 6500 (9-speed) Ultegra's and the older 8-speed 105's (I still think this is one of Shimano's
best - looking and performance - groupsets) and 9-speed Dura Ace. All held up fine under varying
conditions (I think durability might become an distinguishing factor after some long-long miles).
Cannot comment on the newer 105's, whick looks to me like there has been a drop in quality from
8-speed to 9-speed.

ultegra has much better bearings and therefore last longer. the aloy bodies are effectively the
same. last thing: my rear ultegra are quieter in operation than my rear 105's.

Keith Rhoades wrote:
> How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs compare to ultegra hubs
>
> Thank you Keith Rhoades

uce-<< ultegra has much better bearings and therefore last longer. the aloy bodies are effectively
the same. >><BR><BR>

Bodies are steel..just for info-Only DA is titanium and aluminum for 2004.

I have a pair of 105's, the last year of 8-spd. The front ate two sets of cones within 1000
miles. I've been told perhaps the axle is bent. I've replaced the axle with the cones this time.
We'll see...

> Keith Rhoades wrote:
>> How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs compare to ultegra hubs
>>
>> Thank you Keith Rhoades

sorry, meant hub body, not freewheel. should have been more specific.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> uce-<< ultegra has much better bearings and therefore last longer. the aloy bodies are effectively
> the same. >><BR><BR>
>
> Bodies are steel..just for info-Only DA is titanium and aluminum for 2004.

So is there enough difference to warrant selling the 105's that I have and purchasing Ultegras for
the new set of wheels that I am having built up?

Paul

[email protected] (PJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So is there enough difference to warrant selling the 105's that I have and purchasing Ultegras for
> the new set of wheels that I am having built up?

Keep your eyes open for Dura Ace 9 hubsets. They are great hubs at bargain prices and they are even
cheaper now. If you are concern about forward compatibility, don't be. They are 10 speeds compatible
per Shimano.

"Richard Chan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > So is there enough difference to warrant selling the 105's that I have and purchasing Ultegras
> > for the new set of wheels that I am having built up?
>
> Keep your eyes open for Dura Ace 9 hubsets. They are great hubs at bargain prices and they are
> even cheaper now. If you are concern about forward compatibility, don't be. They are 10 speeds
> compatible per Shimano.

This is very good advise! In addition to the bargain price, DA hubs have a 3 year warranty (compared
to 2 years for other Shimano hubs). Further, the best thing about shimano hubs is its quietness. In
fact, I prefer my DA 9 hub wheel over my Chorus 9 hub wheel because it is quiet and very, very
smooth. DA 9 hubs/cassettes also work well with Campy ergo 9 levers/rear der, if you're so inclined.
If shops are *discounting* DA 9 hubs, good opportunity to stock up.

Probably not. If the 105's are in a decent set of wheels already, then absolutely not.

[email protected] (PJ) wrote in news:5d884f5a.0311051830.758a6235 @posting.google.com:

> So is there enough difference to warrant selling the 105's that I have and purchasing Ultegras for
> the new set of wheels that I am having built up?
>
> Paul

> How does the quality of front and rear 9 speed 105 hubs compare to ultegra hubs
>
> Thank you Keith Rhoades

Someone told me that one difference is that 105 races are machined whereas Ultegra races
are polished.

Doug