105 vs. Ultegra pedals

wow

Jun 16, 2004
Besides pricing, Is there a significance difference between the Shimano 105 SPD-SL Pedals PD-R540 and the Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL Pedals PD-R600??? I'm looking to get some new pedals and i don't know which to get.

Get Speedplay.

wow said:
Besides pricing, Is there a significance difference between the Shimano 105 SPD-SL Pedals PD-R540 and the Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL Pedals PD-R600??? I'm looking to get some new pedals and i don't know which to get.

How come?

Speedplays look like they'd be hard to get in and out of...but iv'e never tried them before.

wow said:
How come?

Speedplays look like they'd be hard to get in and out of...but iv'e never tried them before.
I have speedplays, first clipless I ever owned, they're extremely easy to get out of. I REALLY like them. The only question I ask myself is whether I would like the zero's better. You can adjust the float as opposed to having freefloat.

John

Speedplay are totally awesome. They provide a more direct & efficient connection between foot and crank. There free float, as opposed to spring centered float is much easier on the knees. The float on the zeros (highly reccomended) is adjustable, and the adjustments are made in the cleat. They have grease ports to maintain them, and they have needle bearings.

They're not at all hard to get in or out of. I've never taken longer than 1-2 seconds to get in at a light, and getting out is a simple twist.

I've used look, spd, spdr and others. Speedplay has totally rocked. I now have them on my road bike, mtb, tandem and track bike.

If I say anything else great about them, you'll think I work for speedplay:) But they really rock.

wow said:
How come?

Some zero's are going to end up under my xmas tree. I'm being really good just to make sure. (If I'm super good they might be titanium.)

Does anyone have a response to the original question at hand? I'm curious what the differences, if any, are?

wow said:
Basically material of contruction of the body and weight. The PD-R540s (105, if you will) are slightly heavier (330g) and are made of a resin plastic with NiCrMo spindle. The PD-R600s (Ultegra) and PD-7800 (DA) are 300g and 277g respectively and aluminum with NiCrMo spindles. The 540s and 600s are very close in profile (600 only slightly lower). The 7800s are an even lower profile. I've been very satisfied with the PD-R600s so far. I couldn't justify the close to double price difference for the 7800s, the 600s are usually about a 50% premium over the 540s most places that I have seen. I wonder a bit about the wear of the resin bodies agains the cleats but haven't seen any real world experience with them.