105 vs ultegra vs dura-ace

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
what's the "real" performance difference between those groups? they all have metal components in shifters, kinda same design, etc... or is it only a weight difference?

i was looking in to upgrade to ultegra from 105. dunno if it worth the extra bucks?

How old is the 105 and are you thinking of buying the new ultegra? You're dealing mostly with weight and a little 'crisper' shifting between them.

Common question asked many times before. Try the forum search function to see what pops up.

my 105 is from last year (2006). not that old but i'd like to give an upgrade if we usually can get to "feel" the difference.

by a crisper shifting you mean by a more precise gear changing of from the derailleurs?
and for weight, is that every component is much lighter including the shifters?

A new set of cables would do wonders and cheap. I've built super crisp shifting race bikes with 105, it all depend on how good a wrench you are.

capwater said:
A new set of cables would do wonders and cheap. I've built super crisp shifting race bikes with 105, it all depend on how good a wrench you are.

Yup. New cables and housings can do wonders for performance, much like a night spent with Balinese twin sisters.

Otherwise, the performance difference between 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace, is not very big at all. There is a quasi significant weight difference between 105 and Dura Ace, but that won't affect your performance in any way at all.

Dura Ace is certainly durable and a good performer--although I don't like it. Dura Ace is like that chafing on the inside of a 400 pound person's thighs whereas Campy Record is like Mila Jovovich's hot breath low on yer belly. What are your criteria for a component group?

Along this same line of thought, how about Centaur vs Chorus vs Record? Or Rival vs Force vs Red?

Each range is very similar in design, function and components share common materials with extra bits of the black stuff thrown in on the higher end groups. Each group in the range is as distinguishable from the next level up as the 105 to D-A jump (that's to say not much at all). Sure there's the weight savings but one pays dearly for each gram saved. But it's always nice to have the sweet stuff, I'm as guilty as the next person.

alienator said:
Yup. New cables and housings can do wonders for performance, much like a night spent with Balinese twin sisters.

Otherwise, the performance difference between 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace, is not very big at all. There is a quasi significant weight difference between 105 and Dura Ace, but that won't affect your performance in any way at all.

Dura Ace is certainly durable and a good performer--although I don't like it. Dura Ace is like that chafing on the inside of a 400 pound person's thighs whereas Campy Record is like Mila Jovovich's hot breath low on yer belly. What are your criteria for a component group?
Best description ever of why Campy is better than Shimano. LOL! :D

zaku said:
what's the "real" performance difference between those groups? they all have metal components in shifters, kinda same design, etc... or is it only a weight difference?

i was looking in to upgrade to ultegra from 105. dunno if it worth the extra bucks?
i have used all 3 groupsets & dura - ace is a far better ride - shimano 105 are for poor men/old men & beginners who wanna go slow & avg 15mph - not alot of difference beteen ultegra & dura but i would buy dura over ultegra

azdroptop said:
Best description ever of why Campy is better than Shimano. LOL! :D

what a load of bull !!!!! have you ever used these groupsets or just making this **** up

steelem said:

what a load of bull !!!!! have you ever used these groupsets or just making this **** up
Why are you quoting me? I didn't write that. LOL

azdroptop said:
Why are you quoting me? I didn't write that. LOL
Cut him a break already, a misquote is nothing in this guy's list of accompishments. Retarded, err.... mentally disabled, no.... socially inept, perhaps.... mongrel, umm.... "special" people deserve a bit of leeway on these forums. Hell, he's lucky he has opposable thumbs or else he would just slide right off his bike's handlebars.

Scotty_Dog said:
Cut him a break already, a misquote is nothing in this guy's list of accompishments. Retarded, err.... mentally disabled, no.... socially inept, perhaps.... mongrel, umm.... "special" people deserve a bit of leeway on these forums. Hell, he's lucky he has opposable thumbs or else he would just slide right off his bike's handlebars.
http://www.english-online.org.uk/
i suggest you go here
http://www.english-online.org.uk/

plank.

steelem said:
sorry m8 its alienator talkin ****

Alright, Mr. Zinn. Care to point out exactly where I'm wrong, eh? Exactly how does Dura Ace provide a significant performance advantage over Ultegra or 105? Try giving your explanation from an objective view point. Saying "I feel" or "I saw" or "I know" won't cut it. So, quantitatively, please demonstrate how Dura Ace has a performance advantage over Ultegra and 105.

Good luck.

alienator said:
Alright, Mr. Zinn. Care to point out exactly where I'm wrong, eh? Exactly how does Dura Ace provide a significant performance advantage over Ultegra or 105? Try giving your explanation from an objective view point. Saying "I feel" or "I saw" or "I know" won't cut it. So, quantitatively, please demonstrate how Dura Ace has a performance advantage over Ultegra and 105.

Good luck.
i run 2 bikes at present - cannondale six13 dura ace & a cannondale liquigas shimano105 - before this i had a caad5 tiagra & a timetrials cannondale ultegra & a caad8 ultegra - so ive pretty much tried all the shimano groupies over the yrs.. taigra ild put in the same category as the 105 - shame newbies have to put up with these group sets as they probaly give it a go & think **** it.
anyway found them to be heavy in weight, shifting wasnt as quick & its a lot harder to shift up/down on those hills - also found chain problems after 6 months & chain falling off shifting down!
ultegra & dura ace also in the same category but in far better class to the 2 above - shifing perfect - double tapping - gearing alot lighter ie quicker up those hills in the lower gears. hard to say the difference between these but i my avg has just been improving & improving with the dura & theres no way ild ever go down to the others now.. my cannondale is just being upgraded to sram so i just hope its as good as the dura! now alien boy tell me why you would write such a bold statement that these groupies are no different?

steelem said:
i run 2 bikes at present ...................
That was a fine example of the infinite monkey theorem.

Tell me though, do you wipe your ass with paper or just drag it along the ground?

Scotty_Dog said:
That was a fine example of the infinite monkey theorem.

Tell me though, do you wipe your ass with paper or just drag it along the ground?
PLANK...