105 vs ultegra vs dura-ace

sideshow_bob said:
just for the record, 1 million years is somewhere between tiny and insignificant in the context of the geological time scale.
One million years is a pretty big period in comparison with the glacial/interglacial cycle.

artemidorus said:
Atmospheric CO2 is now higher than it's been in 20 million years. Global mean ocean temperature is now one degree C away from the hottest it's been in one million years, models suggest it will gain that degree in three decades. Coincidence that it's happening at the same time as the industrial revolution? Feeling lucky?
Before you ask, I'm happy to cite the peer-reviewed literature backing these data.
Another trick the 'climate change' lobby uses is the fallacy of the false zero. By choosing 20 million and not 21 million you make such a mistake above. The atmospheric CO2 is not higher than it has been for the last 21 million years. Global mean ocean temperature is not one degree C away from the hottest it's been in one and a half million years,

Models can suggest all kinds of things, I've seen a video of a model X-Wing that someone made fly, doesn't say it would be a viable space craft. :rolleyes: The record though, as I've said previously, indicates that climate change, when it happens, is very rapid, of the rate of years.

As mentioned earlier, the CO2 and temperatures started to rise before the industrial revolution, in this latest sub-cycle about 200 years before.

As to co-incidences, the most convincing relationship I've seen so far is an inverse proportional relationship of the number of pirates captured on the high seas to CO2 levels. I think anyone would be hard pressed to imply a causative relationship though! :D

threaded said:
Another trick the 'climate change' lobby uses is the fallacy of the false zero. By choosing 20 million and not 21 million you make such a mistake above. The atmospheric CO2 is not higher than it has been for the last 21 million years. Global mean ocean temperature is not one degree C away from the hottest it's been in one and a half million years,
A number of points:
Firstly, you'll have to be clearer on this, I don't really understand your argument.
Secondly, these data are not from any "lobby" but from scientists publishing in well-respected, peer-reviewed journals.

threaded said:
Models can suggest all kinds of things, I've seen a video of a model X-Wing that someone made fly, doesn't say it would be a viable space craft. :rolleyes: The record though, as I've said previously, indicates that climate change, when it happens, is very rapid, of the rate of years.
We are talking about models produced by respected scientists publishing in good journals. If you don't like models in general, then of course you don't bother listening to the weather forecast and you wouldn't be silly enough to set foot in one of those death-trap commercial jet-planes.

threaded said:
As mentioned earlier, the CO2 and temperatures started to rise before the industrial revolution, in this latest sub-cycle about 200 years before.
Noone is disputing this point. The levels had to be going one way or another before any putative perturbation.

threaded said:
As to co-incidences, the most convincing relationship I've seen so far is an inverse proportional relationship of the number of pirates captured on the high seas to CO2 levels. I think anyone would be hard pressed to imply a causative relationship though! :D
All sorts of epiphenomena are associated with the modern technological era. The ad hoc misinterpretation of data that is not gathered to investigate a pre-defined hypothesis is spurious and is typically used only as a smokescreen by those needing one.

artemidorus said:
A number of points:
Firstly, you'll have to be clearer on this, I don't really understand your argument.
Secondly, these data are not from any "lobby" but from scientists publishing in well-respected, peer-reviewed journals.
My point is that most of these papers on climate change are so full of fallacies as to be quite laughable. I'll let you into an apparently well kept secret: they are not at all well respected by real scientists, but generally they keep quiet for fear of losing their jobs.

Example would be what they did to Dr. David Bellamy, often seen on TV, highly respected. He spoke out against climate change, once. Don't even see repeats of his shows on TV now. That is what 'climate change' is in reality.

threaded said:
My point is that most of these papers on climate change are so full of fallacies as to be quite laughable. I'll let you into an apparently well kept secret: they are not at all well respected by real scientists, but generally they keep quiet for fear of losing their jobs.
In this era, the relevant journals are more on their guard than usual. They have to be very careful about publishing research with any flaws, or they'll be attacked from many sides. They'll have their reviewers on high alert for any misinterpretations, overgeneralisations, attacks of hysteria, partisanism or other manifestations of bad science. After all, what's in it for the journals or their reviewers to give in to pressure from lobbying groups? Why would they risk their reputations? There's no reward for them for publishing bad science.
Your so-called "real scientists" are only real if they are doing their best to refute any bad science that they see by publishing to the contrary.

artemidorus said:
In this era, the relevant journals are more on their guard than usual. They have to be very careful about publishing research with any flaws, or they'll be attacked from many sides. They'll have their reviewers on high alert for any misinterpretations, overgeneralisations, attacks of hysteria, partisanism or other manifestations of bad science. After all, what's in it for the journals or their reviewers to give in to pressure from lobbying groups? Why would they risk their reputations? There's no reward for them for publishing bad science.
Your so-called "real scientists" are only real if they are doing their best to refute any bad science that they see by publishing to the contrary.
Oh no, no, Science is now very commercial. Journals will publish just about anything, especially from the pro-climate lobby camp, they're worried about being removed from library lists, just as much as academics worry about losing their jobs. Example: try and get the latest copy of the journal from the 'Institution of Civil Engineers' in your college library, oh BTW they published an article making none PC comments about 'climate change'.

hey guys, way to hijack a thread:)

can't we get back to 105 vs Ultegra vs DA and how much difference 200 grams make?

//k

threaded said:
Journals will publish just about anything.
Not so for the respected journals in my field, but I have no personal knowledge of the venality of climate science. Nevertheless, I'd be surprised if things are quite as bad as you suggest.

kakman said:
hey guys, way to hijack a thread:)

can't we get back to 105 vs Ultegra vs DA and how much difference 200 grams make?

//k
I think we did that, and if you really need to save 200 grams, prunes are your friend.

I'd go so far to suggest that if bicycle shops really did want to sell you stuff to lower overall weight, rather than bling that'll need replacing every season then they'd be selling dried prunes and juice. :D

Sillyoldtwit said:
This thread is amazing, it has kept me amused for days now. I think everyone has missed the most important weight burden. Yes, that rushed **** when you've left nearly 250 grams up the tube. Before I do any ride I make sure as much as possible that I've completely emptied the sewage tank. Besides carrying less weight, I psychologically feel better (emptier). Have you ever climbed a long hill when you're bursting for a **** and all you can really think about is getting home before you explode.

Apologies for reducing this thread to its lowest level, but just my 2 yens worth.:D Tyson
YOUR NAME SAYS IT ALL!!!

LeDomestique said:
I really take my hat off to those of you who can calculate these sort of things.

If 200 grms less saves about 4.5 secs over 4 hours on a hilly ride, then I guess there will be people (likely racers) who will be able to justify the spend.

Now, what we're not measuring here are the perceived or psychological advantages of knowing that your gear is lighter than someone else’s. ...
As someone who has posted on the side of "too small to measure", I will say that what you say is very valid...... even for fat, middle aged recreational riders. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BUYING TOP OF THE LINE GEAR JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT and can afford it. It is FUN riding the "best" even though it makes no measurable difference in ride or speed.

Camilo said:
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BUYING TOP OF THE LINE GEAR JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT and can afford it.
True, I suppose. Likewise there is absolutely nothing wrong with not buying the top of the line equipment and instead buying Ultegra SL, or Chorus, because it is actually far better value, in every respect.

To each their own. But, one of the above axioms is a rather more pragmatic proposition than the other.

KellyT said:
True, I suppose. Likewise there is absolutely nothing wrong with not buying the top of the line equipment and instead buying Ultegra SL, or Chorus, because it is actually far better value, in every respect.

To each their own. But, one of the above axioms is a rather more pragmatic proposition than the other.

According to your standards, but who said your standards can be universally applied? To each, his own. Full stop.

KellyT said:

Man does not live by pragmatism alone :)