10km stretch on Beach Rd

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, May 21, 2004.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    As part of this year's triathlon training (yeah yeah triathlete's can't
    ride etc etc) I want to do a regular 20km (10km down and 10km back)time
    trial, preferably along Beach Rd because that's where most of the races
    are. Can one of the regular Beach Rd riders suggest a good 10km section
    with a minimum of traffic lights (not that I'm completely averse to
    running red lights but I do at least stop first).

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > As part of this year's triathlon training (yeah yeah triathlete's
    > can't ride etc etc) I want to do a regular 20km (10km down and 10km
    > back)time trial, preferably along Beach Rd because that's where most
    > of the races are. Can one of the regular Beach Rd riders suggest a
    > good 10km section with a minimum of traffic lights (not that I'm
    > completely averse to running red lights but I do at least stop first).

    Hmmm... I can only really comment on the top half of Beach Road. St Kilda
    to Sandringham and back is about 25km and most of the traffic lights would
    be in the St Kilda to Brighton section. From Brighton down to Black Rock or
    thereabouts there aren't so many (not that there's a huge number anyway, it
    just seems that way some days).

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  3. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg Guest

    Daveb wrote:
    > As part of this year's triathlon training (yeah yeah triathlete's can't
    > ride etc etc) I want to do a regular 20km (10km down and 10km back)time
    > trial, preferably along Beach Rd because that's where most of the races
    > are. Can one of the regular Beach Rd riders suggest a good 10km section
    > with a minimum of traffic lights (not that I'm completely averse to
    > running red lights but I do at least stop first).
    > DaveB

    Your best clear run (and the one all the grouppos wind it up for!) is
    north of Mordialloc. Basically Black Rock to Mordialloc-Return. Gentle
    rolling hill stuff but good sprint-work anyway to get you out of the
    seat. If you start at StK/PortM and roll down to Black Rock you should
    be warmed up by then and then you can crank it up once you pass the
    clock, go to Mordy, turn at the Park(name?) before you sweep left to the
    roundabout, and return North. Always some riders off ahead of you to
    chase down and give you incentive. and once you reach the clock just
    spin it back to StK again

    --

  4. Stomper

    Stomper Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > As part of this year's triathlon training (yeah yeah triathlete's can't
    > ride etc etc) I want to do a regular 20km (10km down and 10km back)time
    > trial, preferably along Beach Rd because that's where most of the races
    > are. Can one of the regular Beach Rd riders suggest a good 10km section
    > with a minimum of traffic lights (not that I'm completely averse to
    > running red lights but I do at least stop first).

    I would include the section past Brighton Beach where there is at least a
    hill (if you can call it that) to climb up.

    Karl aka Stomper

  5. miday

    miday Guest

    Heading towards Mordi on Beach rd. 227 Beach Rd to the Mordi turn around
    is 10 km. This is turning at the traffic island afte the lights not
    around the corner to the roundabout. No lights but one roundabout at the
    claock tower. Checked for accuracy last night on the way home.