10mile time trial...

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
I made an new PR! 24:04 for 10miles over a rolling course. I'm happy with my time! Now I have some confidence that I won't get dropped in my first Cat 5 race this Sunday. The local pros do it (same course) in 22:00 to 23:00. It's also the same course of my goal race in August. A former National Time Trial Champion (who I believe rides for Symmetrics) did the course in 19:?? last year. So I have a way to go. :eek:

Congratulations! Yea there is nothing like a good ride before a race to boost confidence. Even though I know I'm as fit as can be, and have just as good chance of winning as others, its easy to give yourself some doubt. Stay up front in your race, dont pull the pack, ride smart, good luck!

I wonder how much difference it would make if I were riding with aerobars. I did it riding partly in the drops and partly on the tops, when climbing. I have a set of aerobars but I thought if I haven't trained with them, it would probably be counter productive.

Sounds like you had a good race. Just remember when you hit the road race that its a different beast. Its being comfortable in the pack and being able to deal with the surges that gets most people in their first races. TT is a steady effort, but road racing relies a lot on your ability to go hard and recover fast. Try to stay in the middle of the pack if you can - if you know you are slower on climbs try to get to the front before you hit the climb so you won't go off the back. Most of all try to relax and have fun - your first pack experience can be nerve wracking.