10s power

specialized31

Aug 3, 2006
How much drop off would one expect to see from their peak 5s to peak 10s power? I ask because I noticed today after doing sprint work that I see virtually none. I'm fairly new to power training and this was the first time I've done sprint work with my ptap. For example my last rep out of 10 was 1031 watts at 5 seconds and 1028 at 10 seconds. Just curious if this is typical. I'm guessing that a 1028 watt 10 second peak on my last rep is fairly decent for a 67 kilo rider?

specialized31 said:
How much drop off would one expect to see from their peak 5s to peak 10s power? I ask because I noticed today after doing sprint work that I see virtually none. I'm fairly new to power training and this was the first time I've done sprint work with my ptap. For example my last rep out of 10 was 1031 watts at 5 seconds and 1028 at 10 seconds. Just curious if this is typical. I'm guessing that a 1028 watt 10 second peak on my last rep is fairly decent for a 67 kilo rider?

First question first: how often are you recording data? For example, if you've got your PowerTap to only record at 5.12 s intervals, then out of sequence of 1.26 values A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H, you're only looking at the values for A and E (or B and C, etc.).

acoggan said:
First question first: how often are you recording data? For example, if you've got your PowerTap to only record at 5.12 s intervals, then out of sequence of 1.26 values A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H, you're only looking at the values for A and E (or B and C, etc.).
I have it set to record in 1 second intervals.

specialized31 said:
I have it set to record in 1 second intervals.
It could be possible that you like a long drawn out sprint rather than an explosive one that lasts for few seconds.

If you want to work on being explosive, I'd recommend squatting, deadlifts and some accelerations. They should help you out a bit.

It all depends on how you are trained. For me, there's about a 8% difference in average power between 5 sec and 10 sec power.