10sp Campy or Shimano cranks with 6sp cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Apr 5, 2006.

  1. I need to replace the cranks on my 1985 Peugeot 12-speed. I'm having
    trouble finding used cranks that were designed to be set up with a 6sp
    cassette.

    If I get new cranks by Campy or Shimano designed to be set up with a
    10sp cassette, will I be able to make them work with my 6sp cassette
    for the time being?

    Anyone's best guess would be helpful. I can provide more specifics if
    necessary.

    Thanks ~

    - Brooks

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    If you're in the US, Nashbar has their house cranks with 53/39 and a
    square taper on sale for $45, add a new 7 spd freewheel and new narrow
    HG chain, and you're good to go:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=15120&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11696&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    It's mainly a chain thing, afaik, an old chain may rub the outer ring
    when using smaller rear sprockets with the inner chainring.

    You should easily be able to find cranks intended for 7/8 spd, but even
    9 spd cranks with a new narrow chain *should* be fine. Just watch out
    for octalink cranks, you likely need good 'ole square taper.

  3. Dear Brooks,

    Get the crank of your dreams, if you wish. And get a Sedis 8 speed
    chain to go with it. You'll be OK with the 6-speed freewheel.

    Or you could get a set of cheapo 8-speed or less cranx, or used. If
    you put out a call on this list I bet you could get a ton of used
    cranks - contact me off, I've got some stuff. But so does half this
    list.

    Goiod luck

    jn

    "Thursday"

  4. Herve Henry

    Herve Henry Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I need to replace the cranks on my 1985 Peugeot 12-speed. I'm having
    > trouble finding used cranks that were designed to be set up with a 6sp
    > cassette.
    >
    > If I get new cranks by Campy or Shimano designed to be set up with a
    > 10sp cassette, will I be able to make them work with my 6sp cassette
    > for the time being?
    >
    > Anyone's best guess would be helpful. I can provide more specifics if
    > necessary.

    I do use such a set up (I am not sure: it is a stronglight asphalt
    triple with 6 speed helicomatic or regular HG 6 speed freewheel and on
    the other bike: a campy racing triple with regular HG 7speed cassette)
    and I do not have any problem. (The chain is HG 7speed and the previous
    one was old something). Shifting is fine as far as I can tell but I
    don't change much chainrings. I would guess that changing crank, the
    cassette (if it is a cassette) or the freewheel and the chain will do
    the job.
    Herve

  5. Herve Henry

    Herve Henry Guest

    Forgot to talk about the BB problem. This may be a problem because of
    Peugeot using french/swiss thread for the BB. In this case, it will be
    difficult to change bottom bracket (hard to find parts or expensive) and
    this may cause problemes with new cranks becauise of chainline issues.
    At this point you might be better off (economically) buying a new/recent
    bike (sad to say so).

    Herve

  6. [email protected] wrote:
    > I need to replace the cranks on my 1985 Peugeot 12-speed. I'm having
    > trouble finding used cranks that were designed to be set up with a 6sp
    > cassette.
    >
    > If I get new cranks by Campy or Shimano designed to be set up with a
    > 10sp cassette, will I be able to make them work with my 6sp cassette
    > for the time being?
    >
    > Anyone's best guess would be helpful. I can provide more specifics if
    > necessary.
    >
    > Thanks ~
    >
    > - Brooks

    Just put them on. A 6/7/8s chain will work fine with a '10s' crank and
    rings, no problem.

  7. Hi Herve,

    Thanks for your comments in this regard. I am lucky on one hand
    because the Peugeot is an '85 with an english threaded BB, thank
    goodness.

    However the reason I am so keen on changing the cranks and not the
    cassette is because the hub is helicomatic, meaning finding a different
    cassette is challenging at best. Eventually I will have to replace
    this hub but for now I am trying to avoid it to save money.

    - Brooks

    Herve Henry wrote:
    > Forgot to talk about the BB problem. This may be a problem because of
    > Peugeot using french/swiss thread for the BB. In this case, it will be
    > difficult to change bottom bracket (hard to find parts or expensive) and
    > this may cause problemes with new cranks becauise of chainline issues.
    > At this point you might be better off (economically) buying a new/recent
    > bike (sad to say so).
    >
    > Herve

  8. Herve Henry

    Herve Henry Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > However the reason I am so keen on changing the cranks and not the
    > cassette is because the hub is helicomatic, meaning finding a different
    > cassette is challenging at best. Eventually I will have to replace
    > this hub but for now I am trying to avoid it to save money.

    Have had the same problem (peugeot circa 85 ventoux) but since the
    helicomatic was behaving weirdly sometimes (maybe not freewheeling once
    in a while), and the front one was not so smooth, I did change the
    wheels. And at the end of the day, I might have been better of with a
    new bike (except for the look).

    Herve

    ps: is there anyone knowledgable who could tell me what is the thread of
    the BB of a 6sp ventoux of circa 85 sold in France. The tubing is
    reynolds 501, the crankset is stronglight something, the hubs are
    helicomatic, the derailleur huret something and the brakes weinman 570
    top with "modern" alen (hexagonal) fastenning.