10sp DuraAce shifter with XTR rear derailleur- possible?

aspollock

Jan 17, 2004
Does anyone know if you can use a (non rapid rise) XTR rear derailleur with a 10sp shimano STI shifter. I'd like to use a FSA compact 34/50 crank with a DuraAce 10sp cassette, but the 31 tooth total difference exceeds the span of the 10sp Dura Ace rear derailleur. I guess this question is really are the geometries, parallelogram sizes etc. of the XTR the same as the 10 sp Dura Ace and will it wrap the narrower chain.:confused:

Originally posted by aspollock
Does anyone know if you can use a (non rapid rise) XTR rear derailleur with a 10sp shimano STI shifter. I'd like to use a FSA compact 34/50 crank with a DuraAce 10sp cassette, but the 31 tooth total difference exceeds the span of the 10sp Dura Ace rear derailleur. I guess this question is really are the geometries, parallelogram sizes etc. of the XTR the same as the 10 sp Dura Ace and will it wrap the narrower chain.:confused:
Yea, but why bother. Besides the xtr can have it's own issues with trying to track the smaller large cogs on some DA casettes cuz the paralleoogram tracks a different path than a road derailer in order to accomodate the bigger cogs. A xtr works with Bigger DA cogseets like a 27 or 25, but can have problems wrapping enough chain around some of the bigger cogs in 21 and 23 cog clusters. A few teeth difference in wrap requirement over spec is meaningless, since you shouldn't be in the smaller cogs anyway, and spec is usually conservtive. Folks are running these combinations all the time with no problems.