10sp ergo problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Meier, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Meier

John Meier Guest

I just converted a 2000 record rear derailleur from a short cage to a medium cage so I could run a
    13-29 cassette. When I put the bike back together I noticed a problem with my right ergo shifter.
    The bottom 3 shifts don't have the sharp clicking sound and the crisp shifting the top 7 shifts
    have. In other words when I shift from the 13 tooth to the 14 tooth to the 15 tooth cogs and then
    back down the shifts are slow and don't have the firm click feel I get from the rest of the shifts.
    It is slow and mushy in both the big and small chainring. My question is did I possibly get the
    spring tension inside the rear derailleur set up wrong or am I experiencing a problem with my right
    ergo lever. The spring tension feels the same as the tension on a medium cage Record derailleur I
    have on a different bike. I also installed new cables and housing. I just had a new spring installed
    in the left ergo lever. But I was aware of that problem before I made the derailleur cage change.
    These levers were some of the first 10speed Record levers on the market and I have heard rumors of
    some problems with them that were resolved in later production models. Any ideas from the
    Campagonolo Wizards out there?

John Meier Washougal, WA

Tags:

2. jm-<< When I put the bike back together I noticed a problem with my right ergo shifter. The bottom 3
    shifts don't have the sharp clicking sound and the crisp shifting the top 7 shifts have.

<< My question is did I possibly get the spring tension inside the rear derailleur set up wrong or
    am I experiencing a problem with my right ergo lever.

Have you or a good bike shop take it apart and look. I would guess, either the EC-RE-111 is broken,
    the spring carrier is broken or one of the shift springs. OR the little plate that covers the spring
    carrier(EC-RE-057) has rotated...or a combo of these..

Easy, cheap to fix...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.