10sp shimano cassette on 9sp alloy (Bontrager) hub

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2006.

  1. On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:28:37 -0500, Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Sheldon "Wouldn't Buy A Hub With An Al Freehub Body" Brown

    The 9-10 speed Campagnolo freehubs also come with an aluminum freehub body
    -- at least the ones I have do. After a few years they are showing dents
    from the sprockets. I wonder if this is worse with loose-cog cassettes
    than with those that come one-piece -- I've always used loose-cog
    cassettes since that gives me more options.

    At any rate, the dents that have appeared don't seem to affect
    performance, at least not yet. But then, Campy freehubs have much deeper
    splines than Shimano, and they went to the deep splines when they went
    from 8-speed (steel freehub) to the 9-speed.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
    _`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
    (_)/ (_) |

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > carl.I.brewer worried:
    >
    > > Perhaps current 10sp Shimano Ultegra cassettes are just
    > > not suitable on 9sp pattern Al alloy hubs at all? If that's the case,
    > > and now I have two examples of this, then I'd say it's fair to suggest
    > > that Trek has shipped a part with my bike that is not suitable for it.
    > > What's your opinion Sheldon?

    > I wouldn't expect there to be a serious problem with _Ultegra_ cassettes
    > on such a hub, since they use spiders for the larger sprockets, but
    > would expect a problem if you substituted one of the cheaper cassettes,
    > such as 105 or LX, on the alumin(i)um body.

    Here are the photos :

    http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/

    In particular, see this one :

    http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20060116-bontrager-freehub/DSCF6998.html

    That's done 7,400 km, with the original Ultegra 12:25 (~5,000km) and
    then an Ultegra 12:27 (~2,000km) cassette (both 10sp) on it.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here are the photos

    It looks like only some of the splines are affected, which would suggest
    they're not lining up properly, wouldn't it?

    --
    Shane Stanley

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Shane Stanley wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here are the photos

    > It looks like only some of the splines are affected, which would suggest
    > they're not lining up properly, wouldn't it?

    It would, except that Shimano in their 10sp cassettes, have reduced the
    number of splines (to save weight? Or just to kill 9sp alloy
    freehubs?!), so they were lined up, they just don't all have homes.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > except that Shimano in their 10sp cassettes, have reduced the
    > number of splines

    Ouch -- that's one way to compound the problem.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Shane Stanley wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > except that Shimano in their 10sp cassettes, have reduced the
    > > number of splines

    > Ouch -- that's one way to compound the problem.

    yep.

    We're waiting to show the freehub to the trek rep this week. BTW, this
    hub is *not* the good one Disco/US Postal use, it's an elcheapo junker
    - the Race-lite Aero is a 1910g(!) wheelset, and the freehub etc looked
    like it had been put together by monkeys on a bad day. That's not one
    that came out of the DT/Hugi factory, I'd be betting.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > BTW, this hub is *not* the good one Disco/US Postal use

    Given that they throw their wheels away after 500km or something equally
    ridiculous, it might as well be.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I'd expect that the same should apply to the Bontrager hub? Ie: Trek
    > should not have supplied that hub with that cassette? We're getting in
    > touch with Trek Australia to confirm that this is a mistake, but can
    > anyone here confirm that Trek should not have shipped that hub with
    > this bike? I'm 90% sure it's a mistake on their (Trek) part, but would
    > appreciate any confirmation from anyone here with a bit more experience
    > with this kind of thing.

    An update on this. The local Trek rep has replaced the freehub body
    (with another alloy body, but this time a DT one, which won't fit the
    hub! Honest mistake, and I'm sure they'll replace it again ...) after
    some grumbing - and of course it will do the same thing. When this was
    pointed out, his response "ride in different gears so it doesn't
    happen". Errr ... Not good enough....

    I'm a bit disappointed. Trek should see this as a learning experience
    - we're not angry with them, we're a Trek dealer and we want to work
    with Trek to sort out the problem for the benefit of our customers
    *and* for Trek. Here's a problem, let's work together to fix it.

    So if the local Trek rep is proving to be reluctant to address the
    issue, does anyone here have an email address or similar to get in
    touch with Trek USA to escalate to?

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > An update on this. The local Trek rep has replaced the freehub body
    > (with another alloy body, but this time a DT one, which won't fit the
    > hub! Honest mistake, and I'm sure they'll replace it again ...) after
    > some grumbing - and of course it will do the same thing.

    Apparently it doesn't happen with the one on the $299 Aldi special
    (sorry -- couldn't resist).

    --
    Shane Stanley

  10. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > So if the local Trek rep is proving to be reluctant to address the
    > issue, does anyone here have an email address or similar to get in
    > touch with Trek USA to escalate to?

    I found a form on the Bontrager web site and submitted a summary of
    this issue to it. Hopefully they'll be interested in fixing the
    problem!

  11. I haven't had a reply from Bontrager, but have spoken to our local Trek
    rep, who has now seen the freehub for himself and agrees that
    "something needs to be done".

    We'll see ...

  12. A new freehub has arrived, so they're replacing it, but it's the same
    part, so will have the same problem. I'll take a few photos of the way
    the cogs engage with the freehub body this week and post them on my
    site so anyone interested can see the problem in more detail than I've
    been able to explain it.