10spd chainrings on 8spd drivetrain?

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there has used 10spd chainrings up front while maintaining their 8spd drivetrain bits? Will this work? I might pick up some new 10spd FSA rings and try it on one of my 8spd road bikes. Slight warp on the 52 ring at the moment. Only

Just to clarify. I don't want to change anything else. Just want to know if i can swap out my rings up front.

thanks in advance.

I've personally never tried it but I believe the difference is that 10spd stuff is narrower, so it should work.

CdnRider said:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there has used 10spd chainrings up front while maintaining their 8spd drivetrain bits? Will this work? I might pick up some new 10spd FSA rings and try it on one of my 8spd road bikes. Slight warp on the 52 ring at the moment. Only

Just to clarify. I don't want to change anything else. Just want to know if i can swap out my rings up front.

thanks in advance.

It'll will be fine. The chainrings moved a little closer together, not really get a lot thinner. You 'may' see more chain tickle the big ring when on the small ring in smallish cogs but otherwise it'll be fine.

CdnRider said:
Hi Guys,

thanks in advance.

Hi

Don't waste your money, better to change to a compatible 10spd cassette and chain, that is if you have compatible shifters etc. it won't run well if at all and you could end up in a heap!! Remember the deralleur as well.

Hope this helps

Alexis

alexismcnee said:
Hi

Don't waste your money, better to change to a compatible 10spd cassette and chain, that is if you have compatible shifters etc. it won't run well if at all and you could end up in a heap!! Remember the deralleur as well.

Hope this helps

Alexis

I have had a '10s' Campagnolo carbon crank on my bike for years...and a 8s chain with a 7s freewheel and it works just fine.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let you know once i swap over. next day or 2.