11-32 possible on Ultegra Dbl?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ibis315, May 1, 2003.

  1. ibis315

    ibis315 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of climing I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear derailer? I don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use normally. Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    ibis315 <[email protected]> wrote in news:3eb167c9$1_1 @news.chariot.net.au:
    > I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of climing
    > I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear derailer? I
    > don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use normally.

    An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification. A 32 tooth cog may or may not work
    with a road rear derailleur; you may need to get a MTB derailleur.

  3. "ibis315" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of climing
    > I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear derailer? I
    > don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use normally. Thanks
    > in advance.

    To do what you want to do, you would need to install an XT or XTR rear der. XT works as well as an
    XTR but at half the cost. That combo will work very well with your Ultegra set-up.

  4. ibis315

    ibis315 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    I thought that would be the case. I will get a XT rear derailer. Thanks Dave.

  5. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification.

    What sort of modification is required to fit a cassete with an 11 cog on a road hub?

  6. "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    > > An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification.
    >
    > What sort of modification is required to fit a cassete with an 11 cog on a road hub?
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

    None, that I know of. It does take a special lock-ring for the 11/32 and
    11/34 cassettes.This lock-ring comes with the those cassettes. I freely change from the MTB
    cassettes to road cassettes on my wheelsets with no problems. I just make sure the correct
    lock-ring is with the correct cassette.

  7. TNEWSOME1

    TNEWSOME1 Guest

    That's correct about the 11t cog. On my Ultegra equipped TT bike I installed a Deore LX freehub body
    on my Ultegra hub so I can run an 11 tooth cog to give me an edge on that last grueling mile of a
    time trial.

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ibis315 <[email protected]> wrote in news:3eb167c9$1_1 @news.chariot.net.au:
    > > I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of
    > > climing I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear
    > > derailer? I don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use
    > > normally.
    >
    > An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification. A 32 tooth cog may or may not
    > work with a road rear derailleur; you may
    need
    > to get a MTB derailleur.

  8. An 11 _will_ fit without modification. Got one on there now.

    Doug

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ibis315 <[email protected]> wrote in news:3eb167c9$1_1 @news.chariot.net.au:
    > > I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of
    > > climing I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear
    > > derailer? I don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use
    > > normally.
    >
    > An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification. A 32 tooth cog may or may not
    > work with a road rear derailleur; you may need to get a MTB derailleur.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    > > An 11 tooth cog will not fit on a road hub without modification.
    >
    > What sort of modification is required to fit a cassete with an 11 cog on a road hub?

    Either truncate the raised splines with an abrasive wheel or add a spacer behind the low gear. The
    11t cog is capped and, if used on a non-11t body, the cog stops before compressing the other cogs
    against the back of the body. As Sheldon nicely explained, given other design parameters, ending the
    splines halfway through the 11t cog was the only reasonable way to make it work.

  10. no-one-<< I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of
    climing I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear derailer?

    Yes, altho the chain needs to be short, to prevent big cog/pulley noise but would leave you not
    enough chain for big-big combo. Buy a cheapo Deore rear der, use the 11-32 and not worry about it.

  11. Dion Dock

    Dion Dock Guest

    What's the point in buying a new cassette and rear derailleur for a single ride? -Dion

    "ibis315" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be doing the Death Ride in the Sequoia, and I want more gearing for the 18000+ ft. of climing
    > I'll be doing. Is it possible to put on XT 11-32 cassette with Ultegra double rear derailer? I
    > don't want to spend the money on getting a triple upgrade that I would never use normally. Thanks
    > in advance.

  12. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Dion Dock wrote:

    > What's the point in buying a new cassette and rear derailleur for a single ride?

    The Death Ride is pretty hilly and long. For those not used to long days of climbing, mounting lower
    gears will be well worth the money.

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dion Dock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the point in buying a new cassette and rear derailleur for a single ride?

    That didn't seem so terribly out of line to me. How many one-day experiences ( lift tickets,
    dinner and a play, car rental, ammo+targets, race driving school, etc, etc) cost even more than a
    CS, CN, RD?

    Certainly YMMV

  14. dion-<< What's the point in buying a new cassette and rear derailleur for a single ride?

    As Ride the Rockies approaches, we do this sort of thing all the time...when they want to be able to
    get up the passes, w/o spending a ton of $ on a triple...then convert back to the more 'normal'
    stuff, putting the long cage and big cog away, to reassemble next year...