11-34 cassette on road bike with Dura Ace triple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NeauDL, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. NeauDL

    NeauDL Guest

    Does anyone have experience with this combination?

    I've used 9-speed 12-34 and 11-34 cassettes with an Ultegra triple front
    (30-42-52) on two different road bikes without any issues, but when I switched
    to an XTR triple (26-36-48) with the same front chainline (47.5 mm) in order to
    get a lower low gear, I found that pushing hard on the pedals pulls the chain
    off the middle, 36-tooth chainring when I'm using either of the three largest
    rear cogs (26, 30 or 34 tooth). With a smaller, 12-27 cassette, I pull the
    chain off the middle chainring using only the 27-tooth cog (but that is still
    not acceptable). Bike has standard 130 mm rear spacing. Of course I have a
    long cage mountain derailleur and appropriate length chain, and everything is
    in fact new.

    Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
    triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and the
    Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

    L. D. Lide

    Tags:

  2. mattp71

    mattp71 Guest

    Well, anytime I have went bigger in the rear than a 12-25, I've had to
    switch my rear derailler from ultegra road or dura ace road to xt
    mountain or xtr mountain.

    Once I changed my rear derailler, all my problems with chain skimping
    etc, went away.

    Good luck. I don't have the exact reason why your chain changes under
    pressure. That's a question for the zinn man!

    --

  3. NeauDL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
    >triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and the
    >Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

    All I know is that my local bike shop usually has a Calfee in their
    showroom which is equipped like this (12-34(?) XTR cassette and
    derailleur in the back, DuraAce triple in front). I think it belongs to
    the shop's owner. I test-rode the bike for about 45 minutes a year or so
    ago. It worked fine as far as I could tell.

    Dennis Ferguson

  4. "Dennis Ferguson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > NeauDL <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Has anyone tried using one of these mountain cassettes with the Dura Ace
    > >triple, which has a middle chainring halfway in size between the XTR and

    the
    > >Ultegra? Or does anyone have experience with similar equipment?

    > All I know is that my local bike shop usually has a Calfee in their
    > showroom which is equipped like this (12-34(?) XTR cassette and
    > derailleur in the back, DuraAce triple in front). I think it belongs to
    > the shop's owner. I test-rode the bike for about 45 minutes a year or so
    > ago. It worked fine as far as I could tell.
    >
    > Dennis Ferguson

    I have two bikes, both with Dura Ace triple components, and using an XT rear
    derailleurs and cassettes. Both work excellent with that set-up and allows
    my old legs to pull me up the many mountains I ride in.

  5. Hmm. Sheldon Brown sayeth that a 30 tooth cog will work in the rear
    (barely) even under a regular Ultegra derailleur (I was asking about a
    compact double crankset setup). Other bike shop folk have told me that
    anything above a 28 will create a horrible clunking noise as the upper
    DR pulley is too close to the cog.

    I am trying to build out an Alpe D'Huez-able bike with a compact 50x34
    in front and am curious to see what other people have done for similar
    projects -- does everyone use mountain bike rear derailleurs?--Shayana
    Kadidal

    > Well, anytime I have went bigger in the rear than a 12-25, I've had to
    > switch my rear derailler from ultegra road or dura ace road to xt
    > mountain or xtr mountain.
    >
    > Once I changed my rear derailler, all my problems with chain skimping
    > etc, went away.

  6. dershanek-<< I am trying to build out an Alpe D'Huez-able bike with a compact
    50x34
    in front and am curious to see what other people have done for similar
    projects -- does everyone use mountain bike rear derailleurs? >><BR><BR>

    Either a MTB rear der or even a DA triple rear der. I just put on a 11-32 with
    a 53/39, DA triple rear der, works just fine.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302