110/74 cranks and 9 speed chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike King, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Mike King

    Mike King Guest

    If I use a 110/74 triple crank with a 9 speed Campy cassette and chain, would there be any problem
    with the chain wedging between the rings? In other words, are there some 110/74 cranksets which work
    with 7 or 8 speed chains, but are not meant for 9 speed chains?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    It's the chainrings and not the crankset that make the difference. I replaced the worn out 39t inner
    chainring on a current model Dura-Ace crankset with an older chainring that pre-dated 9s
    drivechains, and had several instances where the chain skated between the two chainrings when
    shifting off the big ring. When I compared the older chainring to the Dura-Ace, I noticed that the
    teeth on the Dura-Ace ring were closer to the outer face of the chainring to prevent this problem.

    TA (amongst others) sell 110BCD chainrings that specifically say they are compatible with 9s.

    Nick

    "Mike King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If I use a 110/74 triple crank with a 9 speed Campy cassette and chain, would there be any problem
    > with the chain wedging between the rings? In other words, are there some 110/74 cranksets which
    > work with 7 or 8 speed chains, but are not meant for 9 speed chains?

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I use a SRAM/Sachs PC69, 9 spd chain with standard 8 spd. 110/74 rings with no issues on a
    drivetrain consisting of: Campy Centaur shifters, R derailer, Wheels Manufacturing 9 spd. cassette.

    Steve Bailey

    "Mike King" <[email protected]> wrote in message ..
    > If I use a 110/74 triple crank with a 9 speed Campy cassette and chain, would there be any problem
    > with the chain wedging between the rings? In other words, are there some 110/74 cranksets which
    > work with 7 or 8 speed chains, but are not meant for 9 speed chains?
    >
    > Mike

  4. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    >I use a SRAM/Sachs PC69, 9 spd chain with standard 8 spd. 110/74 rings with no issues on a
    >drivetrain consisting of: Campy Centaur shifters, R derailer, Wheels Manufacturing 9 spd. cassette.
    >
    >Steve Bailey

    I use SRAM 9 spd chain with 8 spd rings and 9 spd other stuff - no problems. B

  5. mikeking-<< If I use a 110/74 triple crank with a 9 speed Campy cassette and chain, would there be
    any problem with the chain wedging between the rings?

    No..just ensure you ease up a bit on pedal pressure when you come off the rings to a smaller ring,
    which is what ya oughtta do anyway.

  6. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Mike King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > If I use a 110/74 triple crank with a 9 speed Campy cassette and chain, would there be any problem
    > with the chain wedging between the rings? In other words, are there some 110/74 cranksets which
    > work with 7 or 8 speed chains, but are not meant for 9 speed chains?

    I have a Sugino XD500 triple (110/74), which I believe has 8-speed spacing. The rest of my
    drivetrain is 9-speed (Shimano cassette and SRAM chain). No problem.

  7. "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's the chainrings and not the crankset that make the difference. I replaced the worn out 39t
    > inner chainring on a current model Dura-Ace crankset with an older chainring that pre-dated 9s
    > drivechains, and had several instances where the chain skated between the two chainrings when
    > shifting off the big ring.

    I have an 8 speed 110 bcd double on a 9 speed system, and occasionally get the same chain skating in
    between the rings problem. When it happens (which is not all that often) it is only a problem when
    I'm shifting under pressure (which I shouldn't have done anyways).