110 mm rear dropout spacing

Last night I picked up a 1955 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix frame for
$10. It has straight gauge 531 tubing. Very nice.

However, the rear dropout spacing is 110 mm. So what can I do with
that?

I'm assuming that I would need to take it to a frame builder in order
to spread it even to 120 mm, let alone 126 or 130. I don't see any
110 mm rear hubs out there (plus I already have two fixed gears).

Any suggestions?
Tom

On Apr 22, 1:18 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Last night I picked up a 1955 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix frame for
> $10.  It has straight gauge 531 tubing.  Very nice.
>
> However, the rear dropout spacing is 110 mm.  So what can I do with
> that?
>
> I'm assuming that I would need to take it to a frame builder in order
> to spread it even to 120 mm, let alone 126 or 130.  I don't see any
> 110 mm rear hubs out there (plus I already have two fixed gears).
>
> Any suggestions?
> Tom

Older track bikes used 110mm spacing in the rear. Since you already
have two fixed gears, I'll suggest a single speed instead. Might be
able to reduce the spacing on a track hub from 120 to 110.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:18:10 -0700 (PDT), "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Last night I picked up a 1955 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix frame for
>$10. It has straight gauge 531 tubing. Very nice.
>
>However, the rear dropout spacing is 110 mm. So what can I do with
>that?
>
>I'm assuming that I would need to take it to a frame builder in order
>to spread it even to 120 mm, let alone 126 or 130. I don't see any
>110 mm rear hubs out there (plus I already have two fixed gears).
>
>Any suggestions?
>Tom

Get a BMX cassette hub (Chris King are nice...), many of which have
enough width of spline to take 3 sprockets at 10-speed spacing, and
make yourself a groovy modern 3-speed derailleur bike! A 3-speed would
even be period correct for 1955 :)

Sturmey AW 3 speed hubs are 110 OLN, so that would be another option.
Expect to pay up to $50 for a second hand unit in good condition.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

treynolds wrote:

> Last night I picked up a 1955 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix frame for
> $10. It has straight gauge 531 tubing. Very nice.
>
> However, the rear dropout spacing is 110 mm. So what can I do with
> that?
>
> I'm assuming that I would need to take it to a frame builder in order
> to spread it even to 120 mm, let alone 126 or 130. I don't see any
> 110 mm rear hubs out there (plus I already have two fixed gears).
>
> Any suggestions?

All BMX rear hubs have 110mm spacing. Many of them have 3/8" (9.5mm)
rear axles. There are "flip flop" variants that have a 1-3/8"
freewheel thread on one side (minimum 15t single freewheel) and a 30mm
freewheel thread on the other side (minimum 13t). They are commonly
available in 28, 36, and 48 hole drillings.

Sturmey Archer and other three-speed hubs have spacings of less than
120mm, but usually more than 110mm. Sachs Pentasport/SRAM P5 five-
speed hubs also have versions with sub-120mm spacing.

Chalo

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]

On 2008-04-22, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Last night I picked up a 1955 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix frame for
> $10. It has straight gauge 531 tubing. Very nice.
>
> However, the rear dropout spacing is 110 mm. So what can I do with
> that?
>
> I'm assuming that I would need to take it to a frame builder in order
> to spread it even to 120 mm, let alone 126 or 130. I don't see any
> 110 mm rear hubs out there (plus I already have two fixed gears).
>
> Any suggestions?

110mm was a typical spacing for track bikes and path racers. It ought to
be trivial to spread it to accommodate a more modern hub. 130mm spacing
will likely result in a noticable "bow" to the stays but shouldn't be a
structural concern.

--

John ([email protected])