alkaline batteries. So I decided to add a car horn. But to my dismay
the car horn pulls 4 amps, more than my battery pack can handle, the
horn will not even go beep. I guess alkalines have too high of an
internal resistance to crank-out enough power for a car horn.

On top of the horn I could be running 1-1/2 amps of lights at the same
time. So I really need to find a lower power horn.

Can anyone recommend a 12 volt horn that pulls less than 2 amps?

Thanks for your help.

On 2007-03-14, Bruce W.1 <[email protected]> wrote:
> My touring bike has a 12V power system, powered by a dozen C-cell
> alkaline batteries. So I decided to add a car horn. But to my dismay
> the car horn pulls 4 amps, more than my battery pack can handle, the
> horn will not even go beep. I guess alkalines have too high of an
> internal resistance to crank-out enough power for a car horn.
>
> On top of the horn I could be running 1-1/2 amps of lights at the same
> time. So I really need to find a lower power horn.
>
> Can anyone recommend a 12 volt horn that pulls less than 2 amps?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Not the answer you want but...

Just get an AirZound they're just as loud as a car horn and *much*
lighter

Cheers

Joel

http://blasthorn.com/?gclid=CMKRvpC69IoCFRk3gQodSisa5Q

i rode an area with extensive bike paths infected from tourists of:
advanced age, low intelligence, and drug useage.

the simple bicycle bell, the design used here is the nashbar dome
bell at $1, off course.

was effective.

ding!

howaboutthat!

whhhhhhhhisitling works. like the deer, goat, and antelope warning
devices used by a few motorists.
a genetic observation: asians and jews respond to the sound right, and
or "bike passing right" by moving right.
all others move left, directly into your path-as in countersteering!
a poll of germans was unavailable as germans are all whoring in miami

we found whistling at approaching crown victoria driven by aged
drunken old women to be of no use whatsoever!

On Mar 13, 10:47 pm, "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My touring bike has a 12V power system, powered by a dozen C-cell
> alkaline batteries. So I decided to add a car horn. But to my dismay
> the car horn pulls 4 amps, more than my battery pack can handle, the
> horn will not even go beep. I guess alkalines have too high of an
> internal resistance to crank-out enough power for a car horn.
>
> On top of the horn I could be running 1-1/2 amps of lights at the same
> time. So I really need to find a lower power horn.
>
> Can anyone recommend a 12 volt horn that pulls less than 2 amps?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Trust me, I'm NO electronics guy but I have a vague recollection of
finding a capacitor, in between the battery and the horn, on a car I
was working on.

Without the capacitor the horn didn't work at all well, as I remember
it.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****

possible to search the web?, find a refiilable hi pressure air can and
air horn(s) to fit the air can.
recall the hi and low notes of EMT rescue vehicles? one piercing note
like the whistling, some do whistle, and one deep brrrrrrrrrp
brrrrrrrrp deeper than a WWII sub dive klaxon.
the two frequencies cover penetrating a wandering human consciousness
fog both inside a metal container and outside.

[email protected] wrote:

> http://blasthorn.com/?gclid=CMKRvpC69IoCFRk3gQodSisa5Q
>
> i rode an area with extensive bike paths infected from tourists of:
> advanced age, low intelligence, and drug useage.
>
> the simple bicycle bell, the design used here is the nashbar dome
> bell at $1, off course.
>
> was effective.
>
> ding!
>
> howaboutthat!
>
> whhhhhhhhisitling works. like the deer, goat, and antelope warning
> devices used by a few motorists.
> a genetic observation: asians and jews respond to the sound right, and
> or "bike passing right" by moving right.
> all others move left, directly into your path-as in countersteering!
> a poll of germans was unavailable as germans are all whoring in miami
>
> we found whistling at approaching crown victoria driven by aged
> drunken old women to be of no use whatsoever!

This Blasthorn would fall into a category with whistles, which can be
very loud but need to be put to your mouth in advance.

The Airzound horn is nifty but there's no room left on my handlebars for
this, or anywhere else for that matter. This bike has lights, panniers
front & rear and a handlebar bag.

I ordered a 12V scooter horn on eBay, which only draws 1.5 amperes. I
don't know how loud it is yet.

My research finds that the most decibels per amp are from piezo buzzers,
sirens, and horns. Even Radio Shack has them. They are used as back-up
reverse warnings on trucks. They come in a variety of electronic
sounds, and I'm really not sure which is best or most suited to a
bicycle. Which piezo sound would be best related to a bicycle? Any
recommendations? Here are some of them:
http://www.floydbell.com/products/tonetypes.php

If anyone makes a piezo bike horn I haven't found it yet.

On Mar 13, 10:47 pm, "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My touring bike has a 12V power system, powered by a dozen C-cell
> alkaline batteries. So I decided to add a car horn. But to my dismay
> the car horn pulls 4 amps, more than my battery pack can handle, the
> horn will not even go beep. I guess alkalines have too high of an
> internal resistance to crank-out enough power for a car horn.
>
> On top of the horn I could be running 1-1/2 amps of lights at the same
> time. So I really need to find a lower power horn.
>
> Can anyone recommend a 12 volt horn that pulls less than 2 amps?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Here's what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Megalert-Mega-Horn-Electronic-Bicycle/dp/B000AOA3DA

By the way, if you have 12 alkaline batteries in series, you have a 16-
volt system (at least when they're fresh) as standard alkaline
batteries are rated at 1.5v.

You'd be better off with a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery--they're
rechargeable, and capable of putting out more current. Check
availability at www.allelectronics.com.

an outstanding collection!
not up to cateye standards?

an area to explore when dealing with the notice me you're about to
crush me beneath your SUV problem

are the nervous connections of the eye to the brain and from the ear
to the brain.
we humans are eye oriented. i recently forget how many more
connections there are for the eye than for the ear
and the nose? forgetabboutit-the dog wins. like take a look at your
dog
then go out in the garage and look at your bat
then take a gander at your sister
does she look like a bat or a dog?

so when you think: "i'll warn the dumb expletive deleted" with a horn
understand the eye is far more important a sense than the ear.
go see campmor.com > men's performance clothing> duofold varitec
there's a link for campmor in tech use the search box
its not working now as the NYC area server is jammed from FLA in the
evening.

Andy M-S wrote:

> Here's what you need:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Megalert-Mega-Horn-Electronic-Bicycle/dp/B000AOA3DA
>
> By the way, if you have 12 alkaline batteries in series, you have a 16-
> volt system (at least when they're fresh) as standard alkaline
> batteries are rated at 1.5v.
>
> You'd be better off with a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery--they're
> rechargeable, and capable of putting out more current. Check
> availability at www.allelectronics.com.

The Megalert is a good choice, but it is not weatherproof. I need a
weatherproof peizo horn.

The reason I'm using alkalines instead of a rechargeable is because
while touring I will not always have a chance to recharge them. But
there's always a place to buy alkalines.

My battery pack has a switch to connect 10 or 12 cells. For the first
10 minutes I will use 10 cells then kick-in the other two. This because
my HID headlight can't handle over 15.5 volts.

[email protected] wrote:
> possible to search the web?, find a refiilable hi pressure air can and
> air horn(s) to fit the air can.
> recall the hi and low notes of EMT rescue vehicles? one piercing note
> like the whistling, some do whistle, and one deep brrrrrrrrrp
> brrrrrrrrp deeper than a WWII sub dive klaxon.
> the two frequencies cover penetrating a wandering human consciousness
> fog both inside a metal container and outside.

I just ordered an Amseco FSS-26T:
http://www.amseco-kai.com/pdf/FSS-26T-36T.pdf

This might do the job.

On Mar 16, 9:51 pm, "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andy M-S wrote:
>
> > Here's what you need:

> >http://www.amazon.com/Megalert-Mega-Horn-Electronic-Bicycle/dp/B000AO...

> > By the way, if you have 12 alkaline batteries in series, you have a 16-
> > volt system (at least when they're fresh) as standard alkaline
> > batteries are rated at 1.5v.

> > You'd be better off with a sealed lead acid (SLA) battery--they're
> > rechargeable, and capable of putting out more current. Check
> > availability atwww.allelectronics.com.

> The Megalert is a good choice, but it is not weatherproof. I need a
> weatherproof peizo horn.
>
> The reason I'm using alkalines instead of a rechargeable is because
> while touring I will not always have a chance to recharge them. But
> there's always a place to buy alkalines.
>
> My battery pack has a switch to connect 10 or 12 cells. For the first
> 10 minutes I will use 10 cells then kick-in the other two. This because
> my HID headlight can't handle over 15.5 volts.

HIDs are nice, but given the weight of the battery pack you'll be
carrying around, plus the cost/waste of frequent replacement, not to
mention the space it takes up in your touring gear, have you
considered getting a hub generator system? A two-headlight system
puts out a lot of useful light, and though it's nowhere near as bright
as an HID, it works quite well. I've been commuting early and late
with a single Lumotec 3w head, and drivers think it's quite bright.
Plus I never run out of batteries, of course. I do have an LED
(Planet Bike) mounted to my helmet to use at stopsigns, etc...

If I were you, I'd try the Megalert and do a waterproofing test...most
electrical/electronic devices handle moisture better than you'd
think. Or for true waterproofness, the Air Zound, with the air bottle
tucked into the handlebar bag or a front pannier.

I have come to dislike relying on batteries in general...while the
Amesco you're looking at may be fine when the batteries are good and
it's the only load, how will it perform when your headlight is already
drawing the batteries down?

Andy M-S wrote:

> HIDs are nice, but given the weight of the battery pack you'll be
> carrying around, plus the cost/waste of frequent replacement, not to
> mention the space it takes up in your touring gear, have you
> considered getting a hub generator system? A two-headlight system
> puts out a lot of useful light, and though it's nowhere near as bright
> as an HID, it works quite well. I've been commuting early and late
> with a single Lumotec 3w head, and drivers think it's quite bright.
> Plus I never run out of batteries, of course. I do have an LED
> (Planet Bike) mounted to my helmet to use at stopsigns, etc...
>
> If I were you, I'd try the Megalert and do a waterproofing test...most
> electrical/electronic devices handle moisture better than you'd
> think. Or for true waterproofness, the Air Zound, with the air bottle
> tucked into the handlebar bag or a front pannier.
>
> I have come to dislike relying on batteries in general...while the
> Amesco you're looking at may be fine when the batteries are good and
> it's the only load, how will it perform when your headlight is already
> drawing the batteries down?

You point is well taken. In fact the guy with whom I'll be touring will
be using exactly what you suggested, even the 3W Lumotec. Maybe next
time around I will do this. But for now I'm heading down the same road
as these guys:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=42629&page=63&highlight=dynamo+LED

The scooter horn and Amseco siren haven't arrived yet so at this time I
have no opinion on them.

I'm also building a low-power headlight so as not to drain the batteries
when the big HID light is not needed. I started with a Planet Bike
5000X connected to a pulse width modulator running off of the 12V
battery pack. This still pulled 800 mA, too much. So I will be
replacing its Xenon bulb with a 3-Watt Cree 7090 XR-E LED mounted on a
star. This should reduce the power consumption. Screw incandescent bulbs!

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> My touring bike has a 12V power system, powered by a dozen C-cell
> alkaline batteries. So I decided to add a car horn. But to my dismay
> the car horn pulls 4 amps, more than my battery pack can handle, the
> horn will not even go beep. I guess alkalines have too high of an
> internal resistance to crank-out enough power for a car horn.
>
> On top of the horn I could be running 1-1/2 amps of lights at the same
> time. So I really need to find a lower power horn.
>
> Can anyone recommend a 12 volt horn that pulls less than 2 amps?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I recieved the two horns and they're both pretty loud. Considering
their weights the scooter horn (from eBay) is the clear winner, it's
only a few ounces and draws 1.2 Amps.