$1200-$1500 First Serious Bike

ThatILGuy

Jun 8, 2012
Hi all,
I've been riding the last couple of seasons with a 2005 Specialized Allez Sport. It has gotten me around, and was fine for longer solo rides. Last year, I got to ride a cheapish (Fuji SL 3.0) on a long ride in San Francisco (paradise loop) and rode my neighbor's older Cervelo team a couple of times. Those rides cemented in my mind that I would be more comfortable on a smaller, lighter bike. So, I've budgeted up to $1500 for something a little more sporty, that will last me for a few years before I decide if I want to spend REAL money on something.

So, my investigations have let me from a new Motobecane to used bikes like :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54cm-2008-Cervelo-Soloist-Team-S1-Aero-Road-Bike-Alloy-Cycling-Shimano-Ultegra-/110995770869?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item19d7dd0df5#rpdId

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Orbea-Orca-Road-Bike-54-cm-/300850035482?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item460c0f3b1a

So, I guess I'm wondering what people think are the highest priorities for a first more serious bike. I'll probably be putting on 100 mi / wk when it's warm including 50 milers on weekends. I doubt I'll race this year, but I've thought about it for 14. (A sprint Tri or two is not out of the question this year.)

Also helpful is if someone says "Buy that bike up there, it's a sweet deal / that's my LBS and they rule" etc.

Thanks!

If the Motobecane bike(s) and the two eBay bikes are all you're looking at, then I'd suggest going for the Motobecane, assuming the geometry suits your bike fit. BikesDirect offers really good deals. The frames are perfectly fine and certainly not overweight. The best part of the deals, though, is that you usually get much better components than you expect for a bike at their prices. The only downside to BikesDirect bikes is that they sometimes need a bit of a tune up when you receive the bike, so that means spending $50-100 at an LBS to have that done. I would suggest, however, not to confine yourself to only the bikes you've mentioned. This is a great time of year to get a one or two year old new bike from an LBS. I'd recommend visiting a few bike shops, even if it means doing a bit of a drive, to see what new old stock bikes they have. The benefit to this is two-fold: you'll be able to actually test ride the bike to be sure you like how it fits and handles, and you'll be able to start or improve your relationship with an LBS. A relationship with an LBS can lead to special discounts down the road or very quick service when you're in a bind.

ThatILGuy said:
i have a pair of wheels laced like that, i thought, ok ill trash these ones because they look so fragile and then use another wheelset... until today just needed service only once and going strong, so and the full Carbon frameset looks pretty good, the Dura Ace shifters alone cost more than 300 usd. the seller says its in excellent condition, thats where you need to believe him or not, tough decision, picture looks good,

I've heard that the Soloist is not too comfy for an alu bike. 2nd hand news, but there it is.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I would suggest, however, not to confine yourself to only the bikes you've mentioned.
$1500 is a whole lotta bike budget and there are a whole lotta choices under that ceiling.

danfoz said:
I've heard that the Soloist is not too comfy for an alu bike. 2nd hand news, but there it is.  
Yes, that's apparently a common feeling. It lacks the vertical compliance that's supposed to come with lateral stiffness.

All,
Thanks for this advice.

@Alienator: I've been hitting local shops for a while. The closes place, where I have a good relationship, is mostly has more cross bikes than anything else. They are great, but their olderstock is pretty limited. I'm heading over to another place today to have a look at their line of high-end bikes to see about geometry. They come so highly recommended by people with sevens and serrottas that they may be out of my league, but hopefully they'll have some time to talk to me at least. My hesitation on the moto has been, sadly, because I'm not sure that it'll be the bike that I want to ride for 5 years. I know that it is stupid, but I don't really like the look of them. It's not a good reason, but well, it's there.

I am hoping to get a chance to at list spin on a trainer on some more bikes. I had heard similar things about the soloist line, and my neighbor who has one has also commented that it can be a bit of a tooth rattler.

I set this budget because it seemed like it was a bit of a sweet spot for being able to choose form low to midlevel component new bikes or used higher-end bikes. I know that weight is important to me. My allez is tipping the scales at >25lbs, so anything under 20 will feel light and responsive.

With regards to that Orbea, the wheels and components seem to make that a good deal, assuming that the frame isn't cracked or anything. I'm struggling to figure out why no one has bought it. Again, hopefully I can get on an Orbea today and check feel and sizing.

Thanks again!

I want to buy a bike im kinda new to racein can any1 tell me a gud bmc bike to get thanks

Thanks all for the advice. I ended up getting a 2010 Orbea Onix with SRAM Force components and Real Design Ultrasonic Wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54cm-Orbea-Carbon-Fiber-road-bike-with-Sram-Force-Components-and-Carbon-wheels-/230917298839?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xevBD2jYn%252BRWuVitLXis8h9b6%252F4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

During my hunting / research, I spoke with a lot of bike shops. When trying to nail down details about this bike, as it isn't one that was a standard for Orbea in 2010, I called Grand Fondo in Nashville and Victory Bike Studio in Memphis (where I bought the bike from). At Grand Fondo, the person on the phone spent 25 minutes with me, knowing that I was calling from Chicago just trying to research a used bike that I thought that they might have built, and gave me really good advice on the frame and components, as well as talking in depth about the good and bad points of the wheelset. I have to say, if I were in that part of the county, I would buy from them.