126mm Campagnolo hub - can I use any 126mm Campy axle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by citizen560, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. citizen560

    citizen560 Guest

    I broke the axle in my 6-speed 126mm Campagnolo hub. I bought the
    wheelset second-hand, so I have no idea what model it is. When I look
    for replacement axles on loosescrews.com, they have three sets that
    appear identical, but they are labelled for different models. Does it
    matter? Here's what I was looking at.

    http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281018&id=376572912882

    http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281047&id=376572912882

    http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281058&id=376572912882

    And last question - what size bearings do I need to repack this hub?

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    "Errare mehercule malo cum Platone, quem tu quanti facias, scio quam
    cum istis vera sentire." - Cicero

    On 31 Jul 2005 09:36:51 -0700, "citizen560"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I broke the axle in my 6-speed 126mm Campagnolo hub. I bought the
    >wheelset second-hand, so I have no idea what model it is. When I look
    >for replacement axles on loosescrews.com, they have three sets that
    >appear identical, but they are labelled for different models. Does it
    >matter? Here's what I was looking at.
    >
    >http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281018&id=376572912882
    >
    >http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281047&id=376572912882
    >
    >http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=...ts&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-1281058&id=376572912882

    These are complete axle sets with cones, spacers and jam nuts from
    various Campagnolo hub models. If the cones on your hub are not
    scored, all you need is a 10×26×134 axle, onto which you will put the
    cones, spacers and jam nuts from your existing axle. The "over-stand"
    mentioned by another poster isn't a function of the axle, but rather
    is simply adjusted to be roughly equal at each end when the bearing
    preload is set.

    Most shops that service bicycles will have an axle with the requisite
    dimensions in stock, but if you're determined to purchase through the
    online vendor mentioned above, the part is
    http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Hub&sc=Axles&tc=Rear&item_id=CA-7281211&id=376572912882

    >And last question - what size bearings do I need to repack this hub?

    Nine 1/4" balls in each cup.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

  3. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    "Invitat culpam qui delictum praeterit" - Syrus
    On 31 Jul 2005 14:10:39 -0700, "citizen560"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply!
    >
    >There is a small amount
    >of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
    >overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit.

    When I suggested just the axle, I didn't know about the other damage.
    If your cones are also compromised, the axle kit is the least
    expensive solution to acquire the parts you'll need.

    >What can you recommend for grease (something readily available)?

    You've answered your own question--use something readily available.
    Hub lubricants have been discussed here often and a search will reveal
    a staggering array of people's favorites. The general consensus is
    that after (fill in the blank), any good grease with reasonable water
    resistance will do the job. Personally, I mostly use Shimano's
    translucent yellow Dura-Ace grease, and take particular pleasure in
    slathering it into Campagnolo hubs.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    http://www.businesscycles.com
    Since 1983
    Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    -------------------------------

  4. citizen560

    citizen560 Guest

    Thanks for all your help!

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    citizen560 wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > The local bike shop already had the wheel for two weeks before
    > admitting they couldn't get the parts (???). There is a small amount
    > of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
    > overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit. I originally took it to
    > the shop because I wanted it done quickly, without me having to track
    > down the parts - but that didn't work out, and I need my bike (it's my
    > sole means of transportation).
    >
    > What can you recommend for grease (something readily available)?

    Lubriplate 130AA white lithium grease is neary identical to
    the original lubricant your hubs shipped with but any good
    quality grease -any color- in that range would be fine.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "citizen560" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Thank you very much! I placed the order. Am I correct in believing
    > that I will need a special wrench (special=narrow) to re-assemble the
    > hub with the new axle? Where can I buy new grease (and what should I
    > get)?
    >
    > Thanks again, and I promise that's my last barrage of questions!

    Cone wrenches, available at any bike shop. I'd guess a 14mm, but check
    against one of your cones.

    Park has a great hub overhaul guide:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

    Good luck!

    -Hank

  7. "citizen560" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Thanks for the reply!

    >The local bike shop already had the wheel for two weeks before
    >admitting they couldn't get the parts (???). There is a small amount
    >of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
    >overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit.

    Wheels manufacturing is making 10mm x 26tpi axles EVEN TODAY. The
    first thing you need to do is to find a NEW bike shop staffed with
    not-stupid people. Do it TODAY.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA